Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] In Search Of Hartington Road Halt

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Further to the intriguing video linked in the former railways thread, I thought it time to make a final social plea concerning the most mysterious of local stations- Hartington Road Halt.

Local stations and tracks are often a fascination for many. But unless someone has information to the contrary, no pictures exist of Hartington Road Halt.

Here's the story of my obsessive pursuit.

https://brightonlines.wordpress.com/2014/01/03/in-search-of-hartington-road-halt/

Many folk, if social media is anything to go by, love local history. but no-one has ever come up with anything but an artist's impression.

I wonder if it is forever bound to stay that way.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
file:///C:/Users/cjblack/Downloads/Old-Maps%20-%20the%20online%20repository%20of%20historic%20maps%20-%20Map%20531500%20106500%2012%20101235.html

Try this link for a 1911 Map.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I remember as a schoolkid trying to push my bike through the disused tunnel from the Kemp Town end, with a view to walking across the mostly defunct Lewes Road Viaduct. I was scared off by the rats and the complete darkness though.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Last edited:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
:cry:

Still not the cherished picture though. I even managed find one from the opening of Rowan Halt. Many folk know nothing of that station's existence.
Good luck with eventually finding that picture - if ever you do, please PM it to me! If only there had been video cameras round on the last day of normal passenger services in 1932, when my Dad had a ride on it - I've still got his ticket!

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Good luck with eventually finding that picture - if ever you do, please PM it to me! If only there had been video cameras round on the last day of normal passenger services in 1932, when my Dad had a ride on it - I've still got his ticket!

Just wow ! I know of the 1971 final service, but that trumps it.

Chickenrunner

Jul 26, 2004
A slightly clearer photo of the site from 1961 with another E4 class on the freight service to KempTown. As the halt was built of wood and only lasted five years, I'm not suprised photos are elusive...
(This is taken from Michael Welch's excellent Sussex Steam. Photo by G. Daniels)

Attachments

• kemptown2.jpg
    kemptown2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 318

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
That gap in the photo, revealing the Enterprise Point office block, is now St Martin CoE Primary School.

Now I know why my family were so animated when I used to play up there whilst it was being demolished, I was only 7!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Further to the intriguing video linked in the former railways thread, I thought it time to make a final social plea concerning the most mysterious of local stations- Hartington Road Halt.

Local stations and tracks are often a fascination for many. But unless someone has information to the contrary, no pictures exist of Hartington Road Halt.

https://brightonlines.wordpress.com/2014/01/03/in-search-of-hartington-road-halt/

Many folk, if social media is anything to go by, love local history. but no-one has ever come up with anything but an artist's impression.

Thanks for that link, I too share your interest on tracks and stations of years gone by, I particularly like the old Lewes to Uckfield Line and Shoreham-by-Sea to Henfield and beyond.

Another interest of mine is canals and especially the restoration projects including our very own Wey & Arun canal, sadly I don’t think I’ll see that project complete in my lifetime.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I guess the artist's impression would be this one... (bottom left)

IMG_20200125_082518.jpg

Some interesting info here that you've probably seen, but on the off chance you haven't...

http://kemp-town-railway.yolasite.com/lewes-road-area.php

'The reason this station was so short-lived was due in part to the fact that it was never inspected or approved by the Board of Trade: they only found out about the existence of the halt when an article about it appeared in the December 1905 edition of The Times, relating to the LBSCR’s use of petrol railcars on the route.'

And that's QUITE enough Trainspotting from me for one day

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
When I was in school, around 50 years ago!!, I had to do some sort of project. For some reason I done the old line between Hassocks station and the old pit in Hurstpierpoint. A Pit Lane still exists. I traced the line through peoples gardens including a still existing tunnel that is 100 yards south of Stone Pound crossroads.

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
I remember as a schoolkid trying to push my bike through the disused tunnel from the Kemp Town end, with a view to walking across the mostly defunct Lewes Road Viaduct. I was scared off by the rats and the complete darkness though.

My junior school, Elm Grove, was built on the top of the other end of that tunnel. I spent many a happy day playing in that tunnel.

taz

Feb 18, 2015
I have never heard of a Hartington road halt, but there was a lewes road halt, a small station that a train would only stop at if requested by a passenger, the location of the lewes road halt was on the now industrial estate of holingdean Road, with foot access from the bottom of princess road,, this location is a just over the other side of the now demolished lewes road viaduct which led into the Hartington road tunnel and on to the Kemptown station closed in early 70s,,, you may be interested in joining " brighton past" face book page, there are some very knowledgable local historians and researchers on there!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here