Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Newick and Chailey Station last days.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There's not much Sussex railway footage that I haven't found on Youtube, but that was new to me, so thanks.

The timeless beauty and the serene futility of those little stations and the train services supplied to them becomes even more poignant as the years pass.

I'm pretty sure the original railways were mostly created with cargo in mind. That may explain some of those splendid follies.

I've often thought about how useful the lines would be now. I think the answer is not much. Although I'm sure the East Grinstead to Three Bridges would be a profit making line. If the line had still ran to Steyning it would have been a far larger town now. Possibly.

Obviously, Lewes to Uckfield was the most rash decision. But that wasn't cut for passenger reasons. So I read.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I'm pretty sure the original railways were mostly created with cargo in mind. That may explain some of those splendid follies.

I've often thought about how useful the lines would be now. I think the answer is not much. Although I'm sure the East Grinstead to Three Bridges would be a profit making line. If the line had still ran to Steyning it would have been a far larger town now. Possibly.

Obviously, Lewes to Uckfield was the most rash decision. But that wasn't cut for passenger reasons. So I read.

EG to TB or Uck to Lewes no chance,to many ppl making money out of the Hs2 gravy train. :rant::rant::rant::rant:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

A lot of it by the time the Bluebell, Uckfield and Cuckoo lines were built in the later 1850s was territorial - make sure there was no room anywhere for the South Eastern to muscle in on LBSC territory.
Freight was important (which is why even the smallest station usually had a goods yard, with coal sidings and a cattle dock, as well as the clerks, porters and shunters required to run these facilities) but by 1850/60 the passenger traffic was a major consideration too. The station where I lived as a small child (remarkably still open today) owed its existence (and a surprisingly good train service!) back then to the fact that it had three customers with first class annual season tickets to London; that paid for a lot of the expenses of running the station! Every member of staff knew who they were too - I have to say, I'm pretty sure they got bloody good customer service!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A lot of it by the time the Bluebell, Uckfield and Cuckoo lines were built in the later 1850s was territorial - make sure there was no room anywhere for the South Eastern to muscle in on LBSC territory.
Freight was important (which is why even the smallest station usually had a goods yard, with coal sidings and a cattle dock, as well as the clerks, porters and shunters required to run these facilities) but by 1850/60 the passenger traffic was a major consideration too. The station where I lived as a small child (remarkably still open today) owed its existence (and a surprisingly good train service!) back then to the fact that it had three customers with first class annual season tickets to London; that paid for a lot of the expenses of running the station! Every member of staff knew who they were too - I have to say, I'm pretty sure they got bloody good customer service!

Fascinated to know which station that was and whether the area has built up since.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Fascinated to know which station that was and whether the area has built up since.

Micheldever, in Hampshire, between Basingstoke and Winchester. The village has changed very little in over 60 years (although our one time garden is now a housing estate)! No longer four tracks through the station any more though, just a single island platform (which used to be a grassy bank with a signal box on it!)
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...UIHYCKCHMQ9QEwCnoECAoQBw#imgrc=ekaFG3wI5glkXM
Upstairs middle window was my bedroom......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here