Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I like the glow

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I see over 500 people have signed a petition against the club's use of grass growing lights (I don't know the tech term) which cause an orange glow that can be seen all over Brighton. The claim is it is the worst light pollution in one hundred square miles and is damaging the wildlife in the area. Do they have a point?

It's nothing compared to the light pollution that hangs over London town, since moving up here I cannot recollect seeing a decent starry night.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Grass growing lights are mounted on wheeled frames just a foot or so above the ground.

I don’t understand why they are left as open frames rather than having a reflective cover over the top - this would reduce the light pollution as well as directing more of the light where it is needed, on the grass.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I see over 500 people have signed a petition against the club's use of grass growing lights (I don't know the tech term) which cause an orange glow that can be seen all over Brighton. The claim is it is the worst light pollution in one hundred square miles and is damaging the wildlife in the area. Do they have a point?

If they have selected this particular one hundred square miles they might have had a point.

724B015E-3CF5-4167-9C1B-90A6600FD028.jpeg

Happy Exile

NSC Patreon
Apr 19, 2018
To be fair it's quite a big back yard with this issue. I saw photographers on the seafront complaining about it on Facebook.

I was in Seaford an hour or so ago and it's visible from places there too.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Drove back from Eastbourne yesterday and today and could see it at least as far as Druscilas, if not further away. I did wonder what it was. Thought it was very strange floodlight colour.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I saw it during the week driving back from Lancing to Brighton along the A27, I wondered what the lights were and rather hoped it was a close encounter of an alien kind.....

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
When will the people of Brighton realise...WE WON! Wooooohahahahaaaaaaa

There’s nothing to see here (see what I did there?!)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Grass growing lights are mounted on wheeled frames just a foot or so above the ground.

I don’t understand why they are left as open frames rather than having a reflective cover over the top - this would reduce the light pollution as well as directing more of the light where it is needed, on the grass.

This.

I’m with the locals on this one. I very much doubt it was mentioned in the planning application for the stadium and one of the joys of living in a more rural spot is seeing the clear skies. This must be very annoying and I’d like to see the club try and resolve this.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I was in Seaford an hour or so ago and it's visible from places there too.

Low cloud cover, so the clouds are reflecting the glow, causing a brighter light.

I saw it during the week driving back from Lancing to Brighton along the A27

I was driving on the A303 west of Salisbury and could see the glow from there.

Have we ruled out Des Lynam's tan?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
This.

I’m with the locals on this one. I very much doubt it was mentioned in the planning application for the stadium and one of the joys of living in a more rural spot is seeing the clear skies. This must be very annoying and I’d like to see the club try and resolve this.

But you can only see it when it’s overcast, no? Otherwise there is nothing for it to reflect off in the air.

I live in east London and on a cloudy winter’s day you see a similar glow coming from the Olympic Stadium. But then again it’s London, so it’s the least of anyone’s problems, light pollution wise.

Am I right in thinking they are only in use during the darkest parts of winter?

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Low cloud cover, so the clouds are reflecting the glow, causing a brighter light.

Well, possibly. I did think that. But the Amex has been there for 9 years now, and it’s more than a coincidence surely that people are noticing the holy glow more now than they did before.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here