Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] When Saturday Comes magazine

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
wsc395_800px.jpg
Our very own captain marvel on the front cover.
Always a good read. :)

https://www.wsc.co.uk/stories/14295-wsc-395-out-now

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I like WSC, but find anything topical in there totally pointless. The world of Football news moves insanely fast, so seeing something like "Messi wins Ballon D'or" on the front just dates it very quickly.

Some of the long form articles are fantastic though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I like WSC, but find anything topical in there totally pointless. The world of Football news moves insanely fast, so seeing something like "Messi wins Ballon D'or" on the front just dates it very quickly.

Some of the long form articles are fantastic though.

I don't think anyone buys it to get up-to-date news, its all about the quality writing in the articles as you say.

I've got loads of WSC's going back decades from when I used to subscribe, and they make an excellent bog read. Thats when the "news" stuff comes into its own as more of a nostalgic reminder, when you're reading something from 20 years ago.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't think anyone buys it to get up-to-date news, its all about the quality writing in the articles as you say.

Don't stick it on the front page then, is my point. Don't see why they bother sticking stuff like that in there at all, as it only dates it instantly.

UPDATE - wrote this post after only reading your first sentence. Can't be bothered to edit further, and take your point. :lol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Don't stick it on the front page then, is my point. Don't see why they bother sticking stuff like that in there at all, as it only dates it instantly.

I'm not sure many people would lose much sleep over it. And not EVERYONE is across all the latest news. I'm not even sure I could've confidently told you who won this years Ballon d'Or tbh.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm not sure many people would lose much sleep over it. And not EVERYONE is across all the latest news. I'm not even sure I could've confidently told you who won this years Ballon d'Or tbh.

See above.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Last time I bought a copy, George Graham was on the cover after the bungs scandal!

I might pop into WHSmith and pick one up. Because it was deemed a fanzine for all, I found it a little bit too neutral and the jokes weren't aimed at any particular club as they didn't want to alienate their fans. Still, they must be doing well as it was about 20 years ago now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Last time I bought a copy, George Graham was on the cover after the bungs scandal!

I might pop into WHSmith and pick one up. Because it was deemed a fanzine for all, I found it a little bit too neutral and the jokes weren't aimed at any particular club as they didn't want to alienate their fans. Still, they must be doing well as it was about 20 years ago now.

I've not bought one for a while now, but I do like their pre-tournament specials when they do the lowdown on every World Cup / Euros team, along with a wallchart. Yes, I'm still an absolute SUCKER for a wallchart.

I'll usually buy one to read on a flight, or when I'm waiting for a train or something. I can recall buying one when we'd been dismissed early from jury service one afternoon, and rather than going home, I just fancied having a bit of ME time in a pub with it. Ideal companion.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I can recall buying one when we'd been dismissed early from jury service one afternoon, and rather than going home, I just fancied having a bit of ME time in a pub

"Norman Stanley Fletcher, you have been found guilty by a jury of 11 men and women plus a bloke with a hangover and a football magazine."

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Norman Stanley Fletcher, you have been found guilty by a jury of 11 men and women plus a bloke with a hangover and a football magazine."

THIRTEEN on a jury ?? :smile:

Anyway, it was a hung jury. I had her bang to rights, but after 2 days of deliberating we still couldn't persuade enough of the others, so it went to a retrial. The second lot found her guilty in less than an hour. She got 2 years.

Waste of time and money, she was a total loon.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I've got loads of WSC's going back decades from when I used to subscribe, and they make an excellent bog read. Thats when the "news" stuff comes into its own as more of a nostalgic reminder, when you're reading something from 20 years ago.

I seem to be the only one that buys it from WHSmith in Watford, according to their staff.
I call it a grown ups Shoot magazine :)

HBoi

May 15, 2019
Hampshire
Brilliant magazine

Honestly love WSC. For me it ranks close to Four Four Two. My favourite has to be World Soccer though ...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Had the magazine for years that far back that i pay just £4-75 a quarter because i signed up years ago when they money trouble and i really should chip in with a bit more as i belie ve times are tough. Decent read if you like your football and not the MSM love in with The EPL..

Bod

Dec 8, 2015
Had the magazine for years that far back that i pay just £4-75 a quarter because i signed up years ago when they money trouble and i really should chip in with a bit more as i belie ve times are tough. Decent read if you like your football and not the MSM love in with The EPL..

Yes, they are in trouble. As a print magazine they are no longer self-sustainable. There was an editorial a couple of editions ago where they launched what they called the WSC supporters club. There are various tiers where for a monthly fee you can get access to podcasts and various goodies.

Hope they survive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here