Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Radiohead’s 40 greatest songs – ranked!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Reading this makes you realise what a ridiculously brilliant back catalogue this band has. Most bands would kill for just 5 or 6 of these tracks.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
27. There There (2003)
After the divisive Kid A/Amnesiac era, Hail to the Thief’s lead single felt diplomatic - no more sacrilegious than Blur’s experiments at around the same time. Its hooks and arrangement were deceptively crafty, though, making its turbulent climax hard to shake.

Only 27th?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Not a fan of this band but thought I would look at the link.
Karma Police- Number 5 on the list ???
Creep - Number 34

Shows how much I know, Creep is one song I don't actually turn off my radio if i hear it, I wouldn't buy it though.
Karma Police is a load of depressing shite in my book, I hate it.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
27. There There (2003)
After the divisive Kid A/Amnesiac era, Hail to the Thief’s lead single felt diplomatic - no more sacrilegious than Blur’s experiments at around the same time. Its hooks and arrangement were deceptively crafty, though, making its turbulent climax hard to shake.

Only 27th?

Totally agree.

My favourite Radiohead song

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Airbag.
Edgy, epic and big drums. The components for Radiohead at their best.
Perfectly fuses the rock of the bends with experimentalism of ok computer.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
27. There There (2003)

Only 27th?

Top 10 for me.

What a ludicrously strong body of work they have.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Top 10 for me.

What a ludicrously strong body of work they have.

Agree. When 40 of their songs are laid out like this it really does ram home this point.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Id have to agree with Paranoid Android being No1. Although not even my favourite track on Ok Computer, I used to listen to it and marvel at how they actually came up with it.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Codex is the highlight of King of Limbs for me and Fake Plastic Trees not included.

40 songs isn’t enough for this band.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Jigsaw falling into place and Let Down not even making the top 40. Both would comfortably make my top 10/15.

Yeah its weird that I agree with the inclusion of all 40 present, but I could easily make the case for another 20 odd.

Sit Down, Stand Up
Follow Me Around
Climbing Up The Walls

list goes on

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
How has Burn the Witch made it on the list over pretty much any other song on A Moon Shaped Pool?

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Radiohead are one of those bands that I could never fully get into.
I know a couple of people who actively hate them.
Something about them as performers that jars with me for some reason.

But they have produced some undoubtedly excellent songs.

Similarly surprised that Fake Plastic trees didn't make it on the list.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
In their hey day, I took the view that Radiohead were just a a band that music snobs said they liked, just to sound superior. When pressed for why, I rarely got beyond 'I really like 'Creep'. As a result 'Creep' was soon seen as too accessible and commercial. The music snobs moved on. They professed their love of a band whose later music was impenetrable to some. Anyhoo, I don't have a closed mind to music, so perhaps it's time to re-evaluate and see if they were just ahead of their time for some.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In their hey day, I took the view that Radiohead were just a a band that music snobs said they liked, just to sound superior. When pressed for why, I rarely got beyond 'I really like 'Creep'. As a result 'Creep' was soon seen as too accessible and commercial. The music snobs moved on. They professed their love of a band whose later music was impenetrable to some. Anyhoo, I don't have a closed mind to music, so perhaps it's time to re-evaluate and see if they were just ahead of their time for some.

I get this. It’s especially hard to challenge any criticism of them, at times, being aloof or playing the tiresome troubled rock star card. I’m thinking of the switch from Ok Computer to Kid A especially. But these days they’re a very different proposition and, on stage and in interviews, thoroughly relaxed and even playful and self-deprecating. The very idea of Thom Yorke being playful and self-deprecating would have had you carted off to the funny farm 15 years ago. Oh, and they now happily play Creep.

Whilst Kid A was at times challenging, I don’t think any of their other albums are impenetrable. I also don’t think they were ahead of their time musically, more they used myriad and diverse and changing influences to great affect. They do have a knack of capturing the mood of the nation though. I really would encourage you to try again. They fact people are question how certain songs are not in a top 40 really tells you something about the strength, breadth and depth of their back catalogue.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Jigsaw falling into place and Let Down not even making the top 40. Both would comfortably make my top 10/15.

What the actual **** - no Let Down?! My favourite Radiohead song for many years, still comfortably a top 5. Beautiful, beautiful song.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here