Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do we miss Hughton?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Youre not wrong, who are we to complain with such an incredible owner as TB, good analogy about Sheff United as well...... Theyre probably the best current example of an average size club without mega money owners.

Mentioned before, in Wilder they seem to have the perfect hybrid of the best of Potter and the best of Hughton. Can press, pass and attack real quick, then fall quickly into strict banks of 4 to defend without the ball. Hughtons defence with Potters attack.

I think one of our problems at the moment seems to be because we are so positive in keeping the pressure on in the oppositions half, we cannot play the counter attack game, so we sort of force the opposition to play the counter attack game on us. In some sense we need to draw them out and have the ball themselves sometimes, and remain solid to create some of our own counter attacks during the game too.

The opposition know that our midfield duo are powder puff at hitting the target from 18-20 yards so they can park the bus without worrying about that loose ball in front of the box, lull us into a false sense of security, and when the moment is right, pass it to the best player on the pitch, a Grealish or a Wilson etc and it's game over.

I thought we had a balance of Hughton's defensive attributes with a more positive Potter style just right at the start of the season but we seem to have plateaued rather than improved.

In reality I do feel like we mostly have average Championship players trying to punch above their weight, and we would be struggling in the Prem under any system. Last season our problem was decision making in the final third and we have the same problem this season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don’t but I am grateful for what he did for us

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Again, in all due respect youre misinterpreting only half of what I wrote, the whole of which, in context, to me seemed crystal (and not taken literally) wheras i guess as you quote just second half, youre taking first half not literally as its meant?and the other half (is taken literally).
Of course its down to Bloom only, i dont and havent said it isnt, and I dont disagree that we'll never know if Hughton may have been a success if Bloom had acted differently.

"Time will tell if Potter is the answer, Time has already answered that Hughton isnt"

For the final time! as this is all getting too ridiculous........

We cant see into the future today (thus nobody knows how Potters tenure ends), is he the answer? ........ in the future after time has passed, and after one day he leaves, we'll be able to look back and see what we cant today. was he the answer?

Whilst nobody highlighted or questioned, the first part "Time will tell if Potter is the answer" I guess it was obvious and not taken literally that Potter (in future) will not leave because of a Seiko watch, or because the time is 3:47pm or for anything to do with Big Ben, Greenwich or lines of longtitude, he will leave because he chooses to or because hes sacked by Bloom. If its the former, the club/Bloom may or may not deem that hes still the head coach/manager answer for our club, if he's sacked (once that is past tense, sometime in the future) the club/bloom have deemed he's not the answer (and enough time has now passed to show this from where we stand today - unable to predict the future).

1 year, 18 months ago, you could just as easily have written "Time will tell if Hughton is the answer" (for our club and primarily for what our owner wants and lists as his priorities).
From what was then the present tense, to that future point (where he was sacked) and now looking back with retrospect in past tense, time (now passed) has shown hes not the answer.

The answer to whom? of course Bloom, the man who owns the clubs shares, put in all the money and the hirer/firer of managers/head coaches.

Do you think I implied in the second part only, that Hughton isnt here because its a Friday or a certain time of the day or because of his watch sense? I honestly thought it obvious both statements, taken in context are not literal :shrug:

Maybe i'll go to the brexit thread, as I totally concur with you on that :D

You are [MENTION=33329]Jolly Red Giant[/MENTION] AND Chris Hughton and I claim my £5 (x2)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
In light of our recent performances, I often find myself wondering where we'd be now with Hughton at the helm instead - Would we be thriving top ten? or continuing our abysmal form that we ended last season in? Would AJ have scored yet? Personally, I was absolutely gutted that Hughton got sacked. We reached the semi-final of the FA cup (which was a brilliant day out!), survived relegation (albeit only just) - surely those tick all the boxes for a club like us?

I understand that Potter definitely needs time to adapt and shape his team but honestly, bar a few performances, we've struggled to pick up points this season and have had just too many poor results. The reality is that now points are needed far more than style right now. Right now we're on an abysmal run of form - picking up one point in January, when we really should of got around 6 - and yet all I hear is still 'give Potter time' or 'we're playing well though'. I understand that we have a lot of potential as a squad and do like what Potter has done here but if we loose to West Ham i'm sure a lot of fans, including me, are going to turn against him.

If we beat West Ham then sure i'll be fine and this run of form will hopefully be forgotten but once again - Where would we be now with Hughton ... ?

Already relegated...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
No. But whilst Hughton was stuck in only one way Potter is the opposite almost too many ideas.

A balance needs to be struck and dropping Webster.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
He didn't. He said he signed because of Potter, he didn't actually say anything about Hughton. Now you can interpret it as an implication, but it is somewhat putting words in his mouth.

He signed because of the money. Doubt he had ever heard of Graham Potter.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
You are [MENTION=33329]Jolly Red Giant[/MENTION] AND Chris Hughton and I claim my £5 (x2)

You lose again dazzer - I am still here - although I will say that I agree with most of peterward's comments.

I do find it amusing that some people on this thread are bringing up this old chestnut that Hughton wouldn't play the kids last year - continuing to ignore the fact that Alzate was injured for five months and on another thread people are calling for Connolly to be sent to a Championship team on loan because he isn't good enough for the PL (something that I disagree with by the way).

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I thought we had a balance of Hughton's defensive attributes with a more positive Potter style just right at the start of the season but we seem to have plateaued rather than improved.
Teams have figured out how to play against Potter's style of football and Potter has yet to show if he can adapt to compensate. Hopefully he will figure it out sooner rather than later.

In reality I do feel like we mostly have average Championship players trying to punch above their weight, and we would be struggling in the Prem under any system. Last season our problem was decision making in the final third and we have the same problem this season.
It takes years to build a PL squad - the gap between PL and Championship is massive. And even then it costs £100s of millions to do it with no guarantee of success. Wolves have been mentioned - in 2019 Wolves spent almost £90million - in 2018 they spent over £100million - and while they were still in the Championship they spent over £50million in two years. They have been very lucky in the players that they bought - most have been hits rather than misses.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You could look at that another way.

Last season the opposition scored 36 goals with 75% possession per game. This season they have scored 34 goals averaging 25% possession in a game.

That suggests to me that every time they get hold of the ball they score

Exactly. Some nonsense on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
No not at all ! I don’t get the Potter bashing. Our football and performances this season have been so much better than under Hughton! With the exception of Man City, I think we have looked like getting something out of every game.

Ok , we might not be any better off points wise but if we are to go down at least we’ve given it a go and tried to play football. I actually turn up expecting us to have chances and score, whereas under Hughton it was park the bus and hope for the best.

Potter has a 5 year contract and isn’t going anywhere .

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Teams have figured out how to play against Potter's style of football and Potter has yet to show if he can adapt to compensate. Hopefully he will figure it out sooner rather than later.

It takes years to build a PL squad - the gap between PL and Championship is massive. And even then it costs £100s of millions to do it with no guarantee of success. Wolves have been mentioned - in 2019 Wolves spent almost £90million - in 2018 they spent over £100million - and while they were still in the Championship they spent over £50million in two years. They have been very lucky in the players that they bought - most have been hits rather than misses.

To be fair to Potter though their goalkeeper was the man of the match and Ramsdale pulled off two great saves from Maupay and one from Mooy. Bournemouths second goal was a poor own goal and their third relied on the ball bouncing off Websters heal and set Wilson up.

At the end of the day the Premier League is exported around the globe, and every club has an obligation to make the games competitive and exciting. Strictly defending doesn't win anything.

Bloom is driving the bus, spending his money and we are the passengers. Trying to out think him is futile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here