Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] The Recurring moan.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
About once a year a moan appears about the state of the A27. Here we go again.

Have just driven each way on the By pass, what a disgrace. The whole length, including slip roads which appear worse, is filled with rubbish of all types of materials.

Has the city now given up on having any decent standards. You can add to the above the graffiti, broken pavements, potholes etc.

Whatever visitors coming to Brighton or passing through Sussex think of all this s***, I don't know.

Added to that, when we arrive at the Amex all we can see is more poo at the moment..:down:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ds314TNWkAAvR-H.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Brighton train station to Portsmouth Harbour train station - 51.2 miles

Car - 1hr 26 mins (dream on)
Rail - 1hr 30 mins (£24.60/£17:10 rtn)

Neither of those facts should be remotely acceptable and yet seemingly not only are they acceptable but we are happy for them to get worse.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Nothing to do with the city, it's a trunk road so is Highways England's responsibility.

Having said that, roads down there are definitely worse than up here. I guess they get less funding.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
About once a year a moan appears about the state of the A27. Here we go again.

Have just driven each way on the By pass, what a disgrace. The whole length, including slip roads which appear worse, is filled with rubbish of all types of materials.

Has the city now given up on having any decent standards. You can add to the above the graffiti, broken pavements, potholes etc.

Whatever visitors coming to Brighton or passing through Sussex think of all this s***, I don't know.

Added to that, when we arrive at the Amex all we can see is more poo at the moment..:down:

Just driven along part of the A27 and thought exactly the same thing myself. A complaint to Highways England on the way.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
And yet strangely for all the moaning political parties which suggest raising tax for things get voted down...

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
And yet strangely for all the moaning political parties which suggest raising tax for things get voted down...

Agree with the sentiment entirely, but not even Labour's manifesto stretched to specifying extra money for clearing up the sides of motorways

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
OP And I'd suggest getting onto your MP about it. Highways England are more likely to do something about it. Ie the chance goes up from 1% to 2%

Jul 7, 2003

Neither of those facts should be remotely acceptable and yet seemingly not only are they acceptable but we are happy for them to get worse.

Although you couldn't get to Portsmouth for a couple of days this week due to signalling issues so would have ended up on a bus on the A27 anyway for part of your journey:whistle:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Nothing to do with the city, it's a trunk road so is Highways England's responsibility.

Having said that, roads down there are definitely worse than up here. I guess they get less funding.

The roads down here in the SW are generally very good, especially compared to East Sussex.
I drove down to Heathfield at Christmas, down the A21 to Hurst Green and turned right through Etchingham, what a joke, cars were driving on the wrong side to avoid huge potholes, I had to do the same, part of the road had subsided away and there was hardly any tarmac on the road, worst I have seen for a very long time.
Also the road from Heathfield down to the Boship Roundabout is appalling.
I know it's Kent but my home town Tunbridge Wells has dreadful roads all over the town.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Always stuck me as ridiculous that you have to drive north of Maidstone to go from Brighton to Dover.

Not if you take the scenic route.

And with the constant 50 mph restrictions on the 2, 20, 26, 25 and 23, it is just as quick. I know, I have to do it every home game :shrug:

And don't talk to me about trains - an hour and 20 to Victoria and another hour to Brighton, and another 15 minutes to Falmer, plus waiting around time, 3 hours each way. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Let's face it. This county is a joke.

But it will all improve after Brexit. Boris promised. Sunny uplands.

:whistle:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Rail is frequently longer than 1hr 30 mins. I’ve had to travel to Littlehampton and change, or change at Barnham, Havant etc to pick up a SW train, even though there is a direct train from Brighton to Portsmouth Harbour. I think almost every time I’ve done that journey, I’ve been able to claim delay repay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here