Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Rio Ferdinand Man United Quote

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I saw this article earlier today and thought “Good” Then I realised they’d just be replaced with Liverpool shirts

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
He is correct though. Man U are the biggest club in the country and one of the biggest in the world. To remain this big, they need to be more successful otherwise those fans will be buying the shirts of Liverpool or City (possible both).

Are they? Really? Who says and how do we really know? That mantra is jogged out all the time so people think it’s true. For 70 years, only surpassed by they’re the biggest club in the world which again people believe. Know way of really telling. Just you tell people it’s true long enough and people believe all sorts of shit; bit like we’re going to sign another striker, now in it’s 3rd season that one ;)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It does amuse me when people go on about “plastic fans” supporting so-called big clubs like Man.Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and therefore not supporting their local team. Would the same apply if English fans went over and watched Barcelona or Real Madrid or Juventus - would they be “plastic fans” too.

Supporting big clubs is not some new phenomena, it started decades ago, minus the need for the now obligatory merchandise tat. So, a couple of examples - back in 1967 I went to Craven Cottage to watch Fulham play Man.Utd. The crowd that day was a whopping 48,000+. Two thirds of that were United fans. Roll onto the mid - 1970s, I was based in Manchester for my job. United at that time were not exactly pulling up trees and Liverpool were the top dogs, with Forest about to make their presence felt. Going up the M6 on a Wednesday afternoon I passed coach after coach of United fans (they were playing at Old Trafford that evening), each coach proclaiming Torquay Reds, Exeter Reds, Bristol United Fans and so on.

It’s never got my goat who supports which club, that’s their choice and for whatever reason. What does irritate me is when a “fan” jumps ship and decides to support another club because they happen to be more successful. Now to me that Is traitorous and that person should be hung, drawn and quartered for the most heinous football crime of all. :drink:

Then you should hate all those you said don’t get your goat because they’re exactly the fans who jump ship. That’s why they called plastics. They follow success, not teams. Soulless, droids with no values. Rightly ridiculed by proper fans everywhere and so it should always be.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He's spot on from a United perspective, and if it means more local kids support local clubs, fine. If they end up just supporting the next successful club, that's just replacing one glory club with another.

That said, for as long as I can remember there are kids who choose a club to support because they'e good. Let's be honest, if we were still in Div 3 there'd be a lot more Liverpool and Citeh shirts around Brighton than there currently are so let's not pretend that our supporter base all chose the Albion for righteous reasons.

The Amex helps too.

Taking my kids to Preston Park etc the 00’s, Chelsea shirts dominated.

The virtuous circle of the stadium and Championship seemed to be the turning point of far more kids buying Albion shirts,

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Are they? Really? Who says and how do we really know? That mantra is jogged out all the time so people think it’s true. For 70 years, only surpassed by they’re the biggest club in the world which again people believe. Know way of really telling. Just you tell people it’s true long enough and people believe all sorts of shit; bit like we’re going to sign another striker, now in it’s 3rd season that one ;)

It’s a British media (and especially Sky) hype statement.

I doubt the Spanish/Catalans have ever said ManU are the biggest club in the world, or rattle on about The Theatre of Dreams.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

think PWC, Deloitte or other analysts that provide reports can say which is largest club by revenue etc.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It’s true

Down my boys football club, I’d say 6 out of every 10 shirts are Albion. Then there’s one Messi, one Ronaldo shirt and the other two are a smattering of other clubs, eg Spurs, City or Liverpool. Crucially, I’ve seen the kids wearing Argentina shirts, when they are lining up a volley, yell, “MAUPAY!!!!!!”

I actually don't think that kids choose their own team to support. They are for the most part influenced by their parents.

A friend of mine. She takes kids with disabilities or behaviour issues horse riding as in an effort to alleviate their issues or disabilities.

She told me one young boy used to come along with a Millwall shirt on.

In trying to get him to come out of his shell she said to him. "So do you like Millwall then ? " To which he responded , and this is word for word even though he was only 9.

"Do I f#ck - I want to support Chelsea but my Dad won't let me"

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Who cares. Couldn't give a flying f### about Man U.

Unfair to the OP. I think this thread resonates with a phenomenon, as noted by others, that there has to be a 'biggest club' for the millions of armchair plastics to throw money at. This is the high-earn franchisey end of football. Correct, it has nothing to do with actual football, except that #teamslikebrighton have to play global media phenomena like ManUre when we are in the same league.

Did anyone count how many were left in sad Trafford last night when the flouncers had left? Probably no more than we see at the Amex after a similar debacle. Interesting.

I do think it will take a lot to tarnish the Busby Babes in the minds of the armchair droolatariate, though. Not even a spell in division 2 was enough to put the cockney wankers (reds) off their stride in the 70s.

Maybe Ferdinand was indulging in a bit of schadenfreude???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He's spot on from a United perspective, and if it means more local kids support local clubs, fine. If they end up just supporting the next successful club, that's just replacing one glory club with another.

That said, for as long as I can remember there are kids who choose a club to support because they'e good. Let's be honest, if we were still in Div 3 there'd be a lot more Liverpool and Citeh shirts around Brighton than there currently are so let's not pretend that our supporter base all chose the Albion for righteous reasons.

There will always be a droolatariate, and it will always be huge, just like the 'majority' of the population drool over low brow pop music rather than explore their local music scene, or more niche genres.

It has nothing to do with us (I exclude here the usual but tiny number of cretins who start bedwetter and related ludicrous threads on NSC) though:shrug:.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Unfair to the OP. I think this thread resonates with a phenomenon, as noted by others, that there has to be a 'biggest club' for the millions of armchair plastics to throw money at. This is the high-earn franchisey end of football. Correct, it has nothing to do with actual football, except that #teamslikebrighton have to play global media phenomena like ManUre when we are in the same league.

Did anyone count how many were left in sad Trafford last night when the flouncers had left? Probably no more than we see at the Amex after a similar debacle. Interesting.

I do think it will take a lot to tarnish the Busby Babes in the minds of the armchair droolatariate, though. Not even a spell in division 2 was enough to put the cockney wankers (reds) off their stride in the 70s.

Maybe Ferdinand was indulging in a bit of schadenfreude???

Defensive ManUre supporters today blamed the mass exodus on the later 8.15 kick off.

Smells of bull, is bull.

If the scoreline was reversed, they’d have stayed to cheer on Ole.

Last edited:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Made my day. Brilliant news. Hate ManUre with a passion.

:clap2: :rotlf::lol:punk::lolol::p:cheers::flameboun:laugh::rock::thumbsup::bounce::cool::):rave::O:banana::clap::wave:
:goal:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

which is incorrect, its not simple hype. your question was how do we know, the answer there are numbers to say.

there is a lot of hype too of course.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
The Amex helps too.

Taking my kids to Preston Park etc the 00’s, Chelsea shirts dominated.

The virtuous circle of the stadium and Championship seemed to be the turning point of far more kids buying Albion shirts,

Very good point

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It does amuse me when people go on about “plastic fans” supporting so-called big clubs like Man.Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and therefore not supporting their local team. Would the same apply if English fans went over and watched Barcelona or Real Madrid or Juventus - would they be “plastic fans” too.

Supporting big clubs is not some new phenomena, it started decades ago, minus the need for the now obligatory merchandise tat. So, a couple of examples - back in 1967 I went to Craven Cottage to watch Fulham play Man.Utd. The crowd that day was a whopping 48,000+. Two thirds of that were United fans. Roll onto the mid - 1970s, I was based in Manchester for my job. United at that time were not exactly pulling up trees and Liverpool were the top dogs, with Forest about to make their presence felt. Going up the M6 on a Wednesday afternoon I passed coach after coach of United fans (they were playing at Old Trafford that evening), each coach proclaiming Torquay Reds, Exeter Reds, Bristol United Fans and so on.

It’s never got my goat who supports which club, that’s their choice and for whatever reason. What does irritate me is when a “fan” jumps ship and decides to support another club because they happen to be more successful. Now to me that Is traitorous and that person should be hung, drawn and quartered for the most heinous football crime of all. :drink:

English fans supporting foreign clubs? IMO it needs a family link or it is boxxocks. Same as a Brighton boy supporting NEOther Successful FC, why, other than they win?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here