Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Car paint ceramic protect

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Mrs TANFC and I have taken the plunge to upgrade our car. It's only a couple of years old and the salesman threw a spanner in the works near the end of the purchase. He gave me a leaflet about a service that they offer to coat the paint work in a ceramic coating which will guarantee the finish for 5 years. This apparently protects the paintwork from all sorts of nasties as well as UV light. Has anyone had this done to their motor and if so, what do you think? The £349 cost made me wince a little :eek:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Mrs TANFC and I have taken the plunge to upgrade our car. It's only a couple of years old and the salesman threw a spanner in the works near the end of the purchase. He gave me a leaflet about a service that they offer to coat the paint work in a ceramic coating which will guarantee the finish for 5 years. This apparently protects the paintwork from all sorts of nasties as well as UV light. Has anyone had this done to their motor and if so, what do you think? The £349 cost made me wince a little :eek:

You can definitely get it done cheaper after the purchase by sourcing it yourself. Many will say that it does not work and is a load of xxxx, they are wrong, from someone who works in the motor industry.

Steve_PPP

Oct 24, 2017
Burgess Hill
I wouldn't bother. If the cars 2 years old, then it'll most likely have swirls/imperfections in the paint anyway and they won't fix that beforehand. Car dealers just try and up-sell this as another profit item, and it won't last 5 years either. Even the best ceramic coatings on the market are 2-3 year products, but totally depend on the general wear, vehicle usage, washing techniques and how your car is stored (garaged vs outside on the seafront etc).

Save your money, if you're a car nut and really want to have the car looking mint then take it as-is from the dealer and get it taken to a detailer for a paint correction.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Had it applied on a new car recently but got it thrown into the package for free. It’s the William’s Ceramic coating and have to say so far it’s entirely living up to expectations but like others have said I think there has to be limited value in paying for it on a 2 year old car because some damage may already have occurred and that gets locked in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Had it applied on a new car recently but got it thrown into the package for free. It’s the William’s Ceramic coating and have to say so far it’s entirely living up to expectations but like others have said I think there has to be limited value in paying for it on a 2 year old car because some damage may already have occurred and that gets locked in.

My car had the Williams coating on it when I bought it (ex demonstrator), car still gets dirty :down:

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
A complete waste of money and you can use Autoglyms Super Resin polish Every six months.

I've used this for years and it stays good for ages and the shine is brilliant

Here's the blurb on it - "Autoglym super resin Polish imparts an exceptionally high gloss shine to all types and colours of automotive paintwork. The super resin Polish is easy to use and contains specialized emulsifiers and conditioners to gently clean and condition your paintwork. The low molecular weight resins harden and bond to give exceptional protection and the best cosmetic effect. Treated high gloss Surfaces are highly resistant to deterioration from most environmental contaminants and weather conditions including UV light."

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-Super-Resin-Polish-1L/dp/B009LHHHZE

Before applying - give it a good wash and you could give it a light T-cut to remove swirls and any film thats built up overtime, then apply the polish

To top it off more (and what i use) then use their Gloss Protection...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-E...79787988&sprefix=autoglym+seal,aps,170&sr=8-8

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I have a friend, also and Albion fan, that does offer ceramic coatings but is more realistic on the timescale of its durability. I'm pretty sure for £349 he will machine polish the car to remove a lot of imperfections and then apply the ceramic coating. A much better proposition if you ask me.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
It's just a car use it abuse it run it into the ground as it will depreciate what ever you do then get another and start all over again

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If it hasn't had it on from new, don't bother. They'll be making loads of money on that. Audi gave it to me 'for free' when I got a new car off them.

IF you're that concerned maybe look at an independent company and regular good valeting.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Take a stroll around a busy car park.

Check how many cars over 7 years old look like their paintwork has faded to a point that anyone would give a toss about it. Discard the dirty ones and then ask again if it is a good investment?

Or buy one of those cover things people sometimes put on caravans.

Or keep it in a garage.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2719

This is worth doing, but not do it through a dealer, their margin is horrendous.

There are some great products about, there are lots of benefits, one being is it keeps the bird shite away from the paintwork as birdlime destroys the paint.

Tree sap, frost, salt, etc, will all remove easier and the car will look tip-top.

Buy some online and set yourself half a day and lots of elbow grease, unless you have a buffing machine.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You can definitely get it done cheaper after the purchase by sourcing it yourself. Many will say that it does not work and is a load of xxxx, they are wrong, from someone who works in the motor industry.

How come modern cars don’t already have this?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
A complete waste of money and you can use Autoglyms Super Resin polish Every six months.

I've used this for years and it stays good for ages and the shine is brilliant

Here's the blurb on it - "Autoglym super resin Polish imparts an exceptionally high gloss shine to all types and colours of automotive paintwork. The super resin Polish is easy to use and contains specialized emulsifiers and conditioners to gently clean and condition your paintwork. The low molecular weight resins harden and bond to give exceptional protection and the best cosmetic effect. Treated high gloss Surfaces are highly resistant to deterioration from most environmental contaminants and weather conditions including UV light."

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-Super-Resin-Polish-1L/dp/B009LHHHZE

Before applying - give it a good wash and you could give it a light T-cut to remove swirls and any film thats built up overtime, then apply the polish

To top it off more (and what i use) then use their Gloss Protection...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-E...79787988&sprefix=autoglym+seal,aps,170&sr=8-8

SRP is brilliant, and EGP even better! But you do have to take the time and effort to do it. And be extraordinarily careful how you apply it or you will end up with white marks on your matt black surfaces. As you say, reapply every six months or so, or have a coating that lasts around five years put on the car from new. Horses for courses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here