Page 63 of 80 FirstFirst ... 13536061626364656673 ... LastLast

Thread: Duffy

0 Not allowed!
    He was brilliant for us and formed such a formidable partnership with Dunk. But his thud-and-blunder technique just doesn't fit in with Potters philosophy, he wouldn't get a look-in here now. Best for all parties if we can ideally sell him on, or send him out on loan again to keep his sizable wedge off our wagebill.

I could easily see him ending up at any one of the 3 clubs going down this season, as they'll have the benefit of the parachute payments to bolster their squads. The strip clubs in Sheffield are decent, he'll feel right at home somewhere like that.
    "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cowfold Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Harsh in the extreme. I readily acknowledge that his days at the Albion are almost certainly over, but he did a great job for us in our first couple of seasons under Chris Hughton in the Premier League, he and Dunky were a formidable partnership at the back. Just saying get rid doesn't show any respect at all.
      True but I didn't JUST say get rid did I? I said I admire his defend-at-all-costs attitude, that's a sign of respect. I also respect the fact he HAS played in the Premier League and had captained his country. I just don't think he anywhere near the standard of Dunk, Webster, White or Veltman.
      That's just, like, your opinion man.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
      I’m sure you were saying this when Duffy was our player of the season.. right? Nah. Course you weren’t.

Shane made the right move at the wrong time. To a dinosaur manager with a deprecating Celtic team trying to play a system that doesn’t suit him.

If he were to go to a Burnley, a Brom, Newcastle, Palace he would be a very solid acquisition for them. He’s not a ball playing defender. But that doesn’t mean he’s a poor one.
      I didn't say it when he was Player of the Season, no, nor did I vote for him. B that was three seasons ago. His form has dropped in that time, just as much our style of play has changed. He may well be a sold acquisition for Burnley, West Brom or Newcastle but aren't we supposed to be aiming just a tiny bit higher than a relagated team, our arch rivals, Newcastle un-United and the divisions's smash-and-grab side?
      That's just, like, your opinion man.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
      If he were to go to a Burnley, a Brom, Newcastle, Palace he would be a very solid acquisition for them. He’s not a ball playing defender. But that doesn’t mean he’s a poor one.
      Burnley will likely sign Nathan Collins from Stoke for a fee expected to be about £15million. Collins has already replaced Duffy in the Irish squad. Similarly with Newcastle who already have Clark who is ahead of Duffy in the Irish squad. West Brom are a possibility as they will probably be forced to sell O'Shea when they get relegated. Palace depends on who replaces Hodgson.

To be honest - I can't see Duffy playing in the PL again - his star has fallen a long way and even if he was able to rehabilitate his reputation, the Championship is likely the level he will end up at. On top of that I think that Brighton will have no option but to loan him out or pay off the remainder of his contract, because I cannot see anyone paying a fee for him.
      Wildlife Photographer Badger Boy's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Shane Duffy is exactly the type of player who David Moyes signs. He's good in a certain team, which West Ham certainly are. I think that's where he's going to end up. Whether we can get £10m for him now I'm not sure, but I do think he'll end up at West Ham. Maybe he won't actually get to play too much, but he's not become a bad player overnight and he's certainly not Finnish. He's only 29.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Badger Boy View Post
      Shane Duffy is exactly the type of player who David Moyes signs. He's good in a certain team, which West Ham certainly are. I think that's where he's going to end up. Whether we can get £10m for him now I'm not sure, but I do think he'll end up at West Ham. Maybe he won't actually get to play too much, but he's not become a bad player overnight and he's certainly not Finnish. He's only 29.
      I completely agree with this and think he'd be quite a good fit there (very similar to Dawson who has been superb this season).

It would be a bit of a step up for Duffers though seeing as he's just had one of the most catastrophic seasons you could imagine. West Ham look set for European football one way or another. I think it is much more likely that he heads to the Championship for £5m or less.
      "Do what you do, stay as you are, let's keep having fun." Sam Baldock

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Badger Boy View Post
      I think we’ll have to sell him for something similar to what we paid for him. We’d need a sell-on fee and some huge appearance bonuses or Premier League promotion bonus to get anywhere near £10m.
      Wildlife Photographer Badger Boy's Avatar

5 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Beanstalk View Post
      I completely agree with this and think he'd be quite a good fit there (very similar to Dawson who has been superb this season).

It would be a bit of a step up for Duffers though seeing as he's just had one of the most catastrophic seasons you could imagine. West Ham look set for European football one way or another. I think it is much more likely that he heads to the Championship for £5m or less.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Rune View Post
      I think we’ll have to sell him for something similar to what we paid for him. We’d need a sell-on fee and some huge appearance bonuses or Premier League promotion bonus to get anywhere near £10m.
      To be honest, I'm not too concerned about the fee. He's paid us back every penny of what we paid for him. I think he's a £10m Premier League centre back based on his experience, but I do agree it's going to be very difficult to get that fee for him now. Clubs will be hyperaware of our desire to sell him, not least because we have Leo Ostigard and Matt Clarke both coming back in. It will be very difficult for us to demand the fee the player probably warrants and we might get tucked up a bit on whatever deal sees him leave but sometimes it's just best for the club and the player.

Whatever happens, I will remember Shane Duffy as being a key player in our promotion to and survival in the Premier League. He won the Player of the Season award in the Premier League and deservedly so. He was a mountain for us every single time he played and I hope he gets his career back on track.

0 Not allowed!
      The problem is his contract - he has two years left on his current contract at £45K a week - that's £2.34million a year. There is no way anyone is going to pay him that kind of money at the moment - he'd be lucky to get a third of it - and that would still be big money for a Championship club. Duffy can sit on the bench for two years and keep drawing the pay cheque. To get rid of him Brighton are going to have to pay something towards off-loading the contract or loan him out to get someone to subsidise some of his wages.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Is Duffy back with us ? Saw some Celtic fans suggest he wasn’t in Scotland anymore and just noticed on Instagram he is playing golf at the Grove
      900k people in Bromley & Croydon, almost double pop of Manchester. Bigger than Norwich & Ipswich. Fickle fans in terms of attendance, cup games increased attendance do not help.
      Steve Parish - CPFC2010