Page 53 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3435051525354555663 ... LastLast

Thread: Duffy

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellotron View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The strange thing is, all Celtic fans were saying their team was absolutely crying out for a no-nonsense, physically dominant centre back.

Why on earth did they buy him if they want him to be a pacey ball-playing CB?
    They've only borrowed him.

Must admit I'm very surprised at what a disaster he's been up there, but Blackburn fans would be nodding sagely. I guess with us, he was just at the right club at the right time, playing under a manager who really knew how to set up and drill a defence.

Still, the Glasgow strip clubs are quite lively, so I've heard.
    "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      I really hope he can find a good move, find some form, and some happiness. Guy is a legend and it's sad to see how things have worked out.
      I have a love, and it never fades. From red garden sheds to watching lads on steds knocking heads
      From the two by two f**k you punk stage to a warehouse rave, with a bloke we met on the way
      Dancing til day
      Members
      Trapped inside the Project for the New American Century

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      Yet, despite Duffy being allegedly better and he had the advantage of a mass ranked defence under CH, the Potter defence has identical stats of conceding an average of 1.5 goals per EPL game.

If the Potter defence is an endless litany of costly mistakes, then shirley the Duffy defence was equally porous to avoidable goals. I remember centre halves falling over, opposition players strolling in to score and NSC condemning our defender.
      Why do you think fans made him player of the season during this period? For your theory to be true, it would suggest the majority of fans don't know anything about football, that can't be right surely - I don't think underperforming players get those awards.

My theory is Duffy and Dunk struck up a unique partnership where they both made each other better players, ie. much bigger than the sum of the parts, Duffy is suffering from that loss acutely now and I'm wondering if even Dunk has stepped back from his very high standards of recent years without that battling type alongside him
      "I have been in professional football since I was 16 - that's 33 years this summer. I have seen and done it all. In Brighton, I thought that I had found a club that sat outside the norm. People who love their club but are realistic about their club's prospects in dire circumstances. That appealed to me. That is what I call true loyalty. Supporting the club as you have done through the hard times. I am prepared to be here through these hard times and to develop a squad as I have started to do in preparation for the day that we all move to a new stadium at Falmer. I need your support, patience and understanding in the long-term because there is no quick fix. I hope you will continue to give me that opportunity." Mark McGhee, 17th April 2006

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by London Irish View Post
      Why do you think fans made him player of the season during this period? For your theory to be true, it would suggest the majority of fans don't know anything about football, that can't be right surely - I don't think underperforming players get those awards.

My theory is Duffy and Dunk struck up a unique partnership where they both made each other better players, ie. much bigger than the sum of the parts, Duffy is suffering from that loss acutely now and I'm wondering if even Dunk has stepped back from his very high standards of recent years without that battling type alongside him
      I'm seemingly a lone voice in a divided NSC these days. I liked and rated Duffy and I rate Webster.

We can't have it both ways that Dunk and Duffy were incredible, whilst Webster's an awful defender, when the defence in both eras has identical stats of 1.5 goals conceded per EPL match.

Is it not possible that Webster and Duffy were/are both quality defenders?

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      Feel for the big man. It's hard to imagine how his dream move could have gone much worse.

"Four months ago, the move was set reignite his stalled career and light the fire under Celtic's charge to Ten in a Row. Yet here we are in January, a little more than halfway through the season, and the big centre-back has been so disappointing that there is already talk of sending him back to Brighton early.

Fuelled by a succession of underwhelming performances that have brutally exposed his lack of pace and inability to play out from the back, newspaper reports have suggested that neither Celtic or Brighton are averse to cutting the loan short."

From 90min.com
      I can see why Celtic aren't averse, but I don't see what's in it for us.
      Fan of the 17 bus Cowfold Seagull's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by London Irish View Post

Yes they were a great partnership back in the day, one of the very best in the entire country perhaps, but it has to be said that it is Dunk who is the footballer, good with the ball at his feet, big Shane was his foil, big and ugly, he got his head, or failing that his body, in the way of everything.

As much as l loved him he has no place in a Graham Potter team, he doesn't have the necessary skill and can't move the ball quickly enough.
      Fan of the 17 bus Cowfold Seagull's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by GT49er View Post
      I can see why Celtic aren't averse, but I don't see what's in it for us.
      Nor do l alas, unless we can quickly sell him on to another interested party. Unlikely though considering his current form.

Unless you are interested Chris?

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cowfold Seagull View Post
      Yes they were a great partnership back in the day, one of the very best in the entire country perhaps, but it has to be said that it is Dunk who is the footballer, good with the ball at his feet, big Shane was his foil, big and ugly, he got his head, or failing that his body, in the way of everything.

As much as l loved him he has no place in a Graham Potter team, he doesn't have the necessary skill and can't move the ball quickly enough.
      Exactly this.

Shane is BRILLIANT for a certain style of play. If weíre playing 442 sitting back and inviting pressure, thereís not many PL CBs as solid as Duffy.

But when youíre pinging the ball about at the back, which, like it or not, is how the manager is setting us up, itís nerve wracking with Duffy. As much as I love the guy.

However. I still believe heís easily good enough to be amazing up in the SPL, so I have to question the manager and the team up there. And honestly, I could still see Shane being very solid in the Prem. Somewhere like Burnley for instance.
      Members

Duffy

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by One Teddy Maybank View Post
      Thank goodness?

Player of the year two years ago.

May not fit with the Potter style, and being off form does not make him a bad player. Exactly what we need on set pieces, sadly that is only one element of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Youíre right, that does read harshly, didnít mean it to come across that critical. I voted for him as player of the season that year too.

I just mean I think we can really do without him at the moment and he might be more of a distraction than we need with whatever issues heís got currently. Not to mention the fact heís totally off form. Personally I think Dunk, Webster, White and Veltman are better players anyway and obviously a lot more suited to the way we play now.

On the set pieces I will say what Iíve said before also, we had a worse record from set pieces in our first season in the PL with Dunk and Duffy at the back so itís not necessarily the answer anyway.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Farehamseagull View Post
      On the set pieces I will say what Iíve said before also, we had a worse record from set pieces in our first season in the PL with Dunk and Duffy at the back so itís not necessarily the answer anyway.
      Didnít that stat include direct free-kicks though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      WHY DID YOU LET IT BOUNCE? 🤫🤫