Page 20 of 80 FirstFirst ... 10171819202122233070 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 795

Thread: Duffy

  1. #191
    Members Bakero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Almería
    Posts
    8,626


    0 Not allowed!
    6pm announcement?

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #192
      On his last warning Megazone's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2015
      Location
      Northern Hemisphere.
      Posts
      8,784


      3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by blue-shifted View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I know little about how to manage a football club, motivate young millionaires or instill a new footballing philosophy somewhere, but if I was GP I'd be going to Shane and saying something along the lines of

      "Look Shane, I've messed up a bit and should have picked you for the last couple of games. We're going 3 at the back for the next few matches and you'll get a start. Put it in for me, do what you can do to play the way I want the team to play and you'll stay in the team. If you still want a move at the end of the season the club will do it's best to get it for you"
      "Potter, are you alright mate? Shane's over there. I'm Yves."
    • #193
      Banned
      Join Date
      Feb 2004
      Location
      a galaxy far far away
      Posts
      7,918


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakero View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      6pm announcement?
      Does anything make you say that?
    • #194
      Members Weststander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Withdean area
      Posts
      46,481


      3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Megazone View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      No. I just think it might help you to learn to stop the scapegoating you all seem to be uniting in right now. How else are you lot going to learn? Barnes clearly hasn't taught you much has he?

      Didn't Webster receive constant criticism from some of our fans last night? Coincidence that it's now going on NSC with you all thumbing up each others criticism of him even when it's bullshit like "Barnes and wood were never criticised by our fans how is that related to Webster?" ?
      I loved Barnes all the way through, the same with Muzza, have always defended them to the hilt. The Barnes and occasional Muzza haters know little and are also disrespectful to players who banged in the goals, and got us promoted in 2011 as just one example.

      I think Duffy is a more than decent PL defender.

      I don't post spitefully about Webster, I don't single him out, I want him to succeed.

      Finally, l don't get this binary Webster's better than Duffy thing. Either is ready when the other has lost form.
    • #195
      Members Garry Nelson's Left Foot's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      tokyo
      Posts
      10,720


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Basically what you're saying then, is that we need to get Lewis Dunk cloned.
      That really is what we need. It's been very obvious this season just how much better than our other defenders Dunk is. As good as any of them on the ball and way better at the basics of defending.

      Defensively Webster and Burn are a clear level down. Duffy, who under Hughton was Dunk's defensive equal (or even better) is half a step behind. He's hindered by how open we are, Dunk's the only one who has consistently coped with that.

      Putting Duffy in the team at the expense of Webster won't change anything defensively as our problems are structural. It's in how we set up to play. Our defensive strength comes from dominating the ball and keeping possession. Unless we fundamentally change that aspect of the game plan to become more compact and less dependent on ball retention Duffy won't be of much use as what we'll gain from his qualities we'll lose from his lack of ability (compared to Webster) on the ball.

      With confidence low we're in quite a pickle. Playing so open all the time and with an apparent inability to resist any kind of sustained pressure(or counter attacks) do we try and shore up defensively or with a misfiring attack with Maupay isolated do we double down and throw caution to the wind and say **** it we're going to concede so lets go all out attack and outscore the opposition.

      We need to do one or the other I think as right now we look like Huddersfiled last season. Pretty enough on the ball in harmless areas but toothless upfront and soft at the back.
    • #196

      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I loved Barnes all the way through, the same with Muzza, have always defended them to the hilt. The Barnes and occasional Muzza haters know little and are also disrespectful to players who banged in the goals, and got us promoted in 2011 as just one example.

      I think Duffy is a more than decent PL defender.

      I don't post spitefully about Webster, I don't single him out, I want him to succeed.

      Finally, l don't get this binary Webster's better than Duffy thing. Either is ready when the other has lost form.
      So often agree with what you say and this again is summed up perfectly. Different games may require different approaches, injuries and suspensions will also bite at some point.

      I'm sure everybody wants Webster to do well and make judgements about what they see Vs whatever other options could be available.

      If staying up came down to keeping a clean sheet in 1 game, how many would pair Webster with Dunk Vs Duffy with Dunk? If we needed a 94th minute goal from a corner to stay up, how many would choose Webster to be up there Vs Duffy? Both would try in both scenarios, fans obviously see it differently!

      Barnes was great for us, Chris Wood wasn't as effective (I didn't rate him much at that time) but he was a young kid starting out then, who's gone on to prove at Leeds at Burnley he's a real handful who scores goals. And good luck to him
    • #197
      Members bhafc99's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2003
      Location
      Dubai
      Posts
      5,655


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakero View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      6pm announcement?
      Not if they can’t get the telephone socket installed in time.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "These were, I have to say, quite easily the ugliest people I have ever seen in my life, and I've been to Selhurst Park when Crystal Palace are at home."

      Charlie Connelly, 'Attention All Shipping: a Journey round the Shipping Forecast'; published by Abacus Books, 2004, page 94.
    • #198
      On his last warning Megazone's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2015
      Location
      Northern Hemisphere.
      Posts
      8,784


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I loved Barnes all the way through, the same with Muzza, have always defended them to the hilt. The Barnes and occasional Muzza haters know little and are also disrespectful to players who banged in the goals, and got us promoted in 2011 as just one example.

      I think Duffy is a more than decent PL defender.

      I don't post spitefully about Webster, I don't single him out, I want him to succeed.

      Finally, l don't get this binary Webster's better than Duffy thing. Either is ready when the other has lost form.
      So what positives do you see in Webster? I've only noticed negative stuff about him from you so far. Considering he's only played half a season for us, it's his first season in the top flight and he's only just turned 25 (which is very young for defenders), you've definitely come across as harsh hence why I've brought up Barnes and Wood.
      Last edited by Megazone; 23-01-2020 at 16:45.
    • #199
      Members
      Join Date
      Nov 2003
      Location
      Trapped inside the Project for the New American Century
      Posts
      19,835


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hark, Preston Park View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Dunk-Duffy partnership saved us last season. Would go a very long way to doing the same this season, given the chance. Plus, having the battering ram that is Big Shane available at corners might well result in a couple of crucial goals between now and May.
      I'm sure I remember beating B'muff a few weeks ago with this combo at the back, shame we changed the winning formula
      "I have been in professional football since I was 16 - that's 33 years this summer. I have seen and done it all. In Brighton, I thought that I had found a club that sat outside the norm. People who love their club but are realistic about their club's prospects in dire circumstances. That appealed to me. That is what I call true loyalty. Supporting the club as you have done through the hard times. I am prepared to be here through these hard times and to develop a squad as I have started to do in preparation for the day that we all move to a new stadium at Falmer. I need your support, patience and understanding in the long-term because there is no quick fix. I hope you will continue to give me that opportunity." Mark McGhee, 17th April 2006
    • #200

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakero View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      6pm announcement?
      I stand to look silly, but I really don't think this is happening.
      '‘If ever you want to invade the world you should get Brighton Lines to draw up the plans. But carry them out yourself, because he would take you to Calais and realise he’d left the ammunition on the quayside at Dover…’

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •