Page 17 of 80 FirstFirst ... 7141516171819202767 ... LastLast

Thread: Duffy

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenFreemansPerm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was indeed Pröpper, a shocking pass.
    But one he took on because Webster gave him the sign to say it was ok.

As Bold says it's the stupid mistakes that are hurting (and not scoring up t'other end)
    “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
    Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.
    "The Venerable Bede is full of shit".

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!

Nobody, absolutely nobody is debating that Webster doesn’t have the attributes to go on to be a very good defender, but right now, as things stand, he’s not as good at defending as Duffy, that’s not to say Duffy doesn’t have his own limitations but right now, being in a relegation scrap, Duffy looks the better option. I believe playing alongside Webster is having an adverse effect on Dunk’s performances.
      Obviously Potter has other ideas and that’s absolutely fine, but from my perspective it seems a bit odd.
      I think you've forgotten this post you made last night. It seemed you couldn't say a good word about him. Even your praise was having a dig

Nice to see you can now..

Webster is miles behind Duffy in terms of actually defending, he’s not particularly strong in the air, isn’t very physical, can’t track a runner to save his life, isn’t actually anywhere near as good at distributing the ball as people think, but he does have a nice touch and squares a mean 10 yard pass to Dunk.

1 Not allowed!
      We need strength and depth at this level so the truth is we need both Webster and Duffy my main issue is for both to push on we need competition for places so if one is not performing they get replaced by the other. That has not happened so far which I imagine will lead to Duffy wanting out

I also think Webster’s defensive deficiencies and Duffy’s lack of quality on the ball are both hugely overplayed on here. They are both more than capable of playing at this level.
      Banned

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      But one he took on because Webster gave him the sign to say it was ok.

As Bold says it's the stupid mistakes that are hurting (and not scoring up t'other end)
      Ahhh, so Propper played a blind pass because Webster told him it was ok. Rigghhhhttt. I don't think you really get that much conversation time in a football match.

It's OK to own up to Davy being capable of error you know, it doesn't mean he's not a good player
      Banned

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Seasider78 View Post
      We need strength and depth at this level so the truth is we need both Webster and Duffy my main issue is for both to push on we need competition for places so if one is not performing they get replaced by the other. That has not happened so far which I imagine will lead to Duffy wanting out

I also think Webster’s defensive deficiencies and Duffy’s lack of quality on the ball are both hugely overplayed on here. They are both more than capable of playing at this level.
      If I'm honest, I don't think Webster would get into any other Premier team at his current level, maybe with the exception of Norwich as they have had a few out and play good football from the back. Other clubs want Duffy for a reason

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by blue-shifted View Post
      Ahhh, so Propper played a blind pass because Webster told him it was ok. Rigghhhhttt. I don't think you really get that much conversation time in a football match.

It's OK to own up to Davy being capable of error you know, it doesn't mean he's not a good player
      If I've remembered it right (not usually the case)

Propper was facing Webster (and Ryan) just outside the penalty area.
      Webster passed the ball forward, while pointing to his right.
      Propper received the ball, in an incredibly dangerous area, and instantly played the ball as instructed.

Webster's pass was poor
      Propper's pass was woeful.
      Webster's command of the situation was suspect.
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.
      "The Venerable Bede is full of shit".
      Banned

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      If I've remembered it right (not usually the case)

Propper was facing Webster (and Ryan) just outside the penalty area.
      Webster passed the ball forward, while pointing to his right.
      Propper received the ball, in an incredibly dangerous area, and instantly played the ball as instructed.

Webster's pass was poor
      Propper's pass was woeful.
      Webster's command of the situation was suspect.
      Webster played the pass (straight to him, the pass was fine), but can hardly be held responsible for what Davy does next

What’s important is that Propper has visibly worked on his game since giving a couple of goals away in similar fashion in the Autumn. Watch him about to receive a ball now, he has had his look already and so can pop it off first time risk free if he chooses

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      That was horrendous.........would have been a goal against a a better team.

Duffy is an absolute beast in the air and we definitely miss that. I think Dunk misses him too (and perhaps Ryan, hence him looking more nervous recently). He never loses a header, ever. He is also, though, seemingly just about incapable of a decent long ball - whenever he’s played recently it’s been noticeable how many balls get shanked into the stands by him.

Need a clone of half Webster/half Duffy.........
      That's pretty much bang on with the reality of the situation.
      If only Webster could defend a bit better and cut out mistakes, or Duffy could pass/carry the ball a bit better, we'd have the best defenders for Potters system.

As it happens, as you allude, both have a part of their game that's lacking, so do you choose the ball player who's not defending that great, or the defender who's not passing under pressure that great?

What we need is either Shane Webster or Adam Duffy.

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by peterward View Post
      That's pretty much bang on with the reality of the situation.
      If only Webster could defend a bit better and cut out mistakes, or Duffy could pass/carry the ball a bit better, we'd have the best defenders for Potters system.

As it happens, as you allude, both have a part of their game that's lacking, so do you choose the ball player who's not defending that great, or the defender who's not passing under pressure that great?

What we need is either Shane Webster or Adam Duffy.
      Basically what you're saying then, is that we need to get Lewis Dunk cloned.
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Megazone View Post
      I think you've forgotten this post you made last night. It seemed you couldn't say a good word about him. Even your praise was having a dig

Nice to see you can now..
      I remember what I wrote last night, and it still stands. With regards to defensive ability he doesn’t hold a candle to Duffy AT THE MONENT. He’s a better ball player and I’m sure he’ll develop into a solid player, but right now I’d still prefer to see Duffy start as I suspect Webster’s confidence might have taken a knock and I feel, rightly or wrongly, that Duffy would help shore up the defence a touch.
      What?