Page 16 of 80 FirstFirst ... 6131415161718192666 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 795

Thread: Duffy

  1. #151
    Mods' Pet Lush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Wherever I lay my hat, that's my hat.
    Posts
    13,399


    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't profess to have the answers. I just know blaming Webster and believing Duffy is a solution is not actually solving a more complex set of issues through the side.

    It's more about belief than it is personnel. Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with Duffy starting next game, but neither do I have an issue with Webster retaining his place as I don't think that is the principle problem.

    The main thing is belief, and its fragile and not easily solved as Hughton found last season and it's spell has befuddled us once again. Hughton went the route of just getting more resolute to get us over the line. I'm not sure Potter will go that route, he'll be hoping we play our way out, and we'll get a break somewhere and the belief will come flooding back.
    This. I’m hoping that Potter has some psychologist tricks up his sleeve. And money for a strong attacking Salah/Mane type midfielder. And is keeping everyone who can shoot behind after training for extra practice.
    Forever a DAFT Bint

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #152
      Members Bold Seagull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Hove
      Posts
      27,400


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Yep it's a tricky one.

      Montoya has more freedom forward with Webster behind him. (Even I've noticed that)
      Alzate doesn't even get to the halfway line rather negating the need for Webster's attributes.

      Duffy can't do 90% of what Webster can, but oh boy missing that other 10% is pretty vital.
      It was actually the home game against Bournemouth where it really hit me. Duffy too late spotted a Bournemouth break in the first half on their left, went charging out, missed everything and everyone and was left stood by our dugout while they broke and had a clear chance, maybe the kind of chance they missed then but scored Tues night.

      Duffy wouldn't have needed to make that kind of decision last season, but with the space in front of them our centre halves are having to make those kind of front foot getting forward to challenge or intercept decisions this season. Webster probably does this better than Dunk, he is as you say however lacking Duffy's strength, power and outright determination in just clearing someone out, or just the very basics of defending, and that is what people are seeing.

      That mistake at home to Bournemouth, along with one or two minor errors, despite the win, is imho why Duffy lost his place the next game home to Chelsea.
    • #153
      Members Bold Seagull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Hove
      Posts
      27,400


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by DarrenFreemansPerm View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Good post.
      I don’t think for one minute that Duffy is the fix-all solution, but Webster has looked very shaky. Earlier in the season Potter took Maupay out of the team to refocus, maybe Webster needs the same care.
      Can't disagree with that (your point, not saying mine was a good post ), and given I'm going to West Ham in one of my limited away games this season, I won't be upset if that happens. Having Duffy to step in is a real strength in that department. It's one area we don't lack top quality cover.
    • #154
      Members dazzer6666's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2013
      Location
      Burgess Hill
      Posts
      42,509


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It was actually the home game against Bournemouth where it really hit me. Duffy too late spotted a Bournemouth break in the first half on their left, went charging out, missed everything and everyone and was left stood by our dugout while they broke and had a clear chance, maybe the kind of chance they missed then but scored Tues night.

      Duffy wouldn't have needed to make that kind of decision last season, but with the space in front of them our centre halves are having to make those kind of front foot getting forward to challenge or intercept decisions this season. Webster probably does this better than Dunk, he is as you say however lacking Duffy's strength, power and outright determination in just clearing someone out, or just the very basics of defending, and that is what people are seeing.

      That mistake at home to Bournemouth, along with one or two minor errors, despite the win, is imho why Duffy lost his place the next game home to Chelsea.
      That was horrendous.........would have been a goal against a a better team.

      Duffy is an absolute beast in the air and we definitely miss that. I think Dunk misses him too (and perhaps Ryan, hence him looking more nervous recently). He never loses a header, ever. He is also, though, seemingly just about incapable of a decent long ball - whenever he’s played recently it’s been noticeable how many balls get shanked into the stands by him.

      Need a clone of half Webster/half Duffy.........
      Why did you let it bounce ?.....................You stupid ***t'
    • #155

      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Yes that's correct.

      Not rated as a footballer.

      But still one of the world's best defenders.


      As I keep pointing out, and you keep missing, there is a huge difference between being a 'footballer' and a 'defender'.

      Shane can, will, and does, DEFEND his goal as one of the worlds best.

      But Shane can't do what the other lesser defenders, but better footballers, can:-

      Pace
      Guille
      Control
      Technique
      etc

      Mr Potter wants all of that from all his defenders as well as defending.
      He's seems prepared to accept defensive shortcomings in favour of overall play.

      Mr Hughton wanted the blunt instrument that was Duffy, using Dunk for the finesse.


      Shane is a throwback centre back, a huge Irish wall, hard as nails, blunt enough to ride bare arsed to Canterbury on and rather at odds with top flight 21st century football.

      What he can do, DEFEND, puts him above most of his contemporaries.
      What he can't do, FOOTBALL, stops him from being even an addendum to that conversation.
      John Terry was in the same Ilk, not a classy ball player, no pace... But solid defender, a leader, brave, would throw himself in front of a bus to stop a goal, blood and guts defending.
    • #156
      Brain dead MUG SHEEP Easy 10's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Location Location
      Posts
      59,447


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It was actually the home game against Bournemouth where it really hit me. Duffy too late spotted a Bournemouth break in the first half on their left, went charging out, missed everything and everyone and was left stood by our dugout while they broke and had a clear chance, maybe the kind of chance they missed then but scored Tues night.
      Webster did the exact same thing v Wolves - lunged into a tackle by the dugouts, missed it, they broke swiftly into the yawning chasm of space left behind him and scored.
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"
    • #157
      Members Bold Seagull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Hove
      Posts
      27,400


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Webster did the exact same thing v Wolves - lunged into a tackle by the dugouts, missed it, they broke swiftly into the yawning chasm of space left behind him and scored.
      Yeah, I'm not saying Webster is perfect or mistake free. It's the kind of chance we are giving away this season. Webster missed that because we gave the ball away cheaply in possession and he was caught out - was it Propper played it blind square?
    • #158
      34th DarrenFreemansPerm's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      Soon to be far away.
      Posts
      16,852


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Yeah, I'm not saying Webster is perfect or mistake free. It's the kind of chance we are giving away this season. Webster missed that because we gave the ball away cheaply in possession and he was caught out - was it Propper played it blind square?
      It was indeed Pröpper, a shocking pass.
      What?
    • #159
      Members Stat Brother's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      West west west Sussex
      Posts
      68,365


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by peterward View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      John Terry was in the same Ilk, not a classy ball player, no pace... But solid defender, a leader, brave, would throw himself in front of a bus to stop a goal, blood and guts defending.
      Worryingly for you I was going to use the Terry example myself, but didn't want to confuse Steve any further.
      You don't want to be on the same train of thought as me!

      But yes i completely agree.

      As different a centre back to VVD, and all those who want to be like VVD (yet not fit to wipe his boots (even if they cost more money )) as you can get, yet almost as effective at the one job of stopping goals.
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.
      "The Venerable Bede is full of shit".
    • #160
      Brain dead MUG SHEEP Easy 10's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Location Location
      Posts
      59,447


      3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Yeah, I'm not saying Webster is perfect or mistake free. It's the kind of chance we are giving away this season. Webster missed that because we gave the ball away cheaply in possession and he was caught out - was it Propper played it blind square?
      It was indeed, but that one led to the 2nd goal. The Webster miss was their first.
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •