Page 15 of 80 FirstFirst ... 5121314151617182565 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 795

Thread: Duffy

  1. #141

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NooBHA View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And I always fancied havin a '' 9 inch Willy '' but sadly it wasn't to be
    There's still time. Congratulations at 'Coming Out' anyway.

    (I'm surprised this emoji is still allowed. I'm even more surprised that someone could be so backward as to use it. I'm less surprised that it was me.)

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #142
      34th DarrenFreemansPerm's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      Soon to be far away.
      Posts
      16,478


      3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Megazone View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      My point?

      You're claiming Webster is miles behind Duffy even so we're looking to loan Duffy out whilst keeping Webster who's been a regular all season. But you obviously know better than Potter who has only kept us above the relegation zone all season not to mention his previous achievements with other clubs.
      It seems you're so desperate to criticise Webster you're even denying the likes of Barnes and Wood were poorly judged (which can't be argued ) by our fans when they were here just so you can maintain your argument that Webster is "miles behind Duffy". Thats pretty desperate when it comes to criticism if you ask me.

      Why did I bring up Barnes in relation to your opinion of Webster I wonder? I guess you probably/conveniently won't understand that too?
      I can’t help but think you’ve wound yourself up so much that you’re losing your train of thought. Wood and Barnes were harshly judged by a lot of our fan base, but neither of them were very expensive signings who were being shoe horned into the team at the expense of the current POTS.
      This season we’ve dominated possession in almost every game, but we’ve kept 5 clean sheets, the opposition doesn’t often have the ball but seem to successfully score with the few opportunities they do have.
      Nobody, absolutely nobody is debating that Webster doesn’t have the attributes to go on to be a very good defender, but right now, as things stand, he’s not as good at defending as Duffy, that’s not to say Duffy doesn’t have his own limitations but right now, being in a relegation scrap, Duffy looks the better option. I believe playing alongside Webster is having an adverse effect on Dunk’s performances.
      Obviously Potter has other ideas and that’s absolutely fine, but from my perspective it seems a bit odd.
      What?
    • #143
      Members Bold Seagull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Hove
      Posts
      25,144


      2 Not allowed!
      Can I just say this time last season with D&D in the team, and us set up more defensively we'd conceded 2 more goals after 24 games.

      We're playing a more open, attacking game, which is what everyone wanted AND we have actually conceded less. Yeah, we went away to Bournemouth and it seems it's Webster's fault, but at around this time 12 months ago we went to Fulham and conceded 4 after having a 2 goal lead!

      I won't mind seeing Duffy in the side, but I'm not 100% certain the manager is getting this wrong. Duffy has his fair share of clangers in him.
    • #144
      Members
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      4,058


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Megazone View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      No. I just think it might help you to learn to stop the scapegoating you all seem to be uniting in right now. How else are you lot going to learn? Barnes clearly hasn't taught you much has he?

      Didn't Webster receive constant criticism from some of our fans last night? Coincidence that it's now going on NSC with you all thumbing up each others criticism of him even when it's bullshit like "Barnes and wood were never criticised by our fans how is that related to Webster?" ?
      I personally believe Webster will prove to be a better player than Duffy in the future, especially under Potterball.

      However we are in a fight and Duffy would be my choice in that fight not Webster, especially as Webster is making a lot of errors. His downing tools when he made that mistake for the Bournemouth third goal and not trying to recover was not a good sign.
      The greater their ignorance, the stronger their opinions.
    • #145
      34th DarrenFreemansPerm's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      Soon to be far away.
      Posts
      16,478


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Can I just say this time last season with D&D in the team, and us set up more defensively we'd conceded 2 more goals after 24 games.

      We're playing a more open, attacking game, which is what everyone wanted AND we have actually conceded less. Yeah, we went away to Bournemouth and it seems it's Webster's fault, but at around this time 12 months ago we went to Fulham and conceded 4 after having a 2 goal lead!

      I won't mind seeing Duffy in the side, but I'm not 100% certain the manager is getting this wrong. Duffy has his fair share of clangers in him.
      Last season Dunk and Duffy were expected, along with the rest of the team, to sit back and absorb wave after wave of pressure. This season the team dominates the ball which gives the opposition far less opportunities, yet we’ve only conceded 2 less. I’m not sure that’s such a clever stat.
      What?
    • #146
      Members Bold Seagull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Hove
      Posts
      25,144


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by DarrenFreemansPerm View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Last season Dunk and Duffy were expected, along with the rest of the team, to sit back and absorb wave after wave of pressure. This season the team dominates the ball which gives the opposition far less opportunities, yet we’ve only conceded 2 less. I’m not sure that’s such a clever stat.
      Waves of pressure that is not resulting in goals which is leaving us open to counter attacks and teams basically setting up to absorb pressure then pounce on our mistakes.

      If we keep losing the ball while applying pressure ahead of the ball, then we are going to be exposed - the Villa equaliser a case in point.

      We're playing with less cover, but if you don't score and give the ball away cheaply, then your defense is going to be exposed time and time again.
    • #147
      Members Stat Brother's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      West west west Sussex
      Posts
      65,317


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Can I just say this time last season with D&D in the team, and us set up more defensively we'd conceded 2 more goals after 24 games.

      We're playing a more open, attacking game, which is what everyone wanted AND we have actually conceded less. Yeah, we went away to Bournemouth and it seems it's Webster's fault, but at around this time 12 months ago we went to Fulham and conceded 4 after having a 2 goal lead!

      I won't mind seeing Duffy in the side, but I'm not 100% certain the manager is getting this wrong. Duffy has his fair share of clangers in him.
      I think it's more to do with the nature of the goals that have been conceded.

      So many have, to us amateurs, looked like goals that could have been stopped by a meathead charging at the ball.

      Irrespective of @Stephen Seagull's opinion I firmly believe we have one of the world's best at that.
      For me that then moves the question onto:-

      Does Webster currently provide enough positives from the rest of his game to offset that loss?
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.
      "The Venerable Bede is full of shit".
    • #148
      Members Bold Seagull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Hove
      Posts
      25,144


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I think it's more to do with the nature of the goals that have been conceded.

      So many have, to us amateurs, looked like goals that could have been stopped by a meathead charging at the ball.

      Irrespective of @Stephen Seagull's opinion I firmly believe we have one of the world's best at that.
      For me that then moves the question onto:-

      Does Webster currently provide enough positives from the rest of his game to offset that loss?
      I would say I dont know.

      I have to assume/believe Potter and his staff have very good reasons/stats etc. for why Webster is ahead of Duffy.

      If Duffy lines up against West Ham, good for him for getting his chance back, but I don't see that move as a sudden plug for why we're conceding. The issue with Duffy is that he has to read the game more quickly because there is more space between our midfield and defense. The cover he enjoyed last season isn't going to be there as much, so it needs a lot more craft, guile and reading of the game.

      While Webster has made errors, the moments he steps out and intercepts opposition passes or cuts off attacks looks simple enough, but actually is the work of a defender who is reading the game and reacting quickly.
    • #149
      34th DarrenFreemansPerm's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      Soon to be far away.
      Posts
      16,478


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Waves of pressure that is not resulting in goals which is leaving us open to counter attacks and teams basically setting up to absorb pressure then pounce on our mistakes.

      If we keep losing the ball while applying pressure ahead of the ball, then we are going to be exposed - the Villa equaliser a case in point.

      We're playing with less cover, but if you don't score and give the ball away cheaply, then your defense is going to be exposed time and time again.
      So what’s going to give? Either we need better forwards to make our chances count, better midfielders to stop the defence being exposed, or we need Van Dijk and Koulibally. Failing that we need a new system.
      The thing that confuses me is the impossibly narrow formation that we play, how our full backs don’t actually get up the pitch that much, play with 4 central midfielders yet get overrun in the middle. Why is there no protection, why do the defenders constantly get caught out?
      Last edited by DarrenFreemansPerm; 23-01-2020 at 10:20.
      What?
    • #150
      Members Stat Brother's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      West west west Sussex
      Posts
      65,317


      3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I would say I dont know.

      I have to assume/believe Potter and his staff have very good reasons/stats etc. for why Webster is ahead of Duffy.

      If Duffy lines up against West Ham, good for him for getting his chance back, but I don't see that move as a sudden plug for why we're conceding. The issue with Duffy is that he has to read the game more quickly because there is more space between our midfield and defense. The cover he enjoyed last season isn't going to be there as much, so it needs a lot more craft, guile and reading of the game.

      While Webster has made errors, the moments he steps out and intercepts opposition passes or cuts off attacks looks simple enough, but actually is the work of a defender who is reading the game and reacting quickly.
      Yep it's a tricky one.

      Montoya has more freedom forward with Webster behind him. (Even I've noticed that)
      Alzate doesn't even get to the halfway line rather negating the need for Webster's attributes.

      Duffy can't do 90% of what Webster can, but oh boy missing that other 10% is pretty vital.
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.
      "The Venerable Bede is full of shit".

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •