Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Duffy

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The guys way too good for scottish football

Yep, but he only dipped out for a season to play for the team he supports on the same wage. Laughing all the way to the bank and enjoying his career. At the end he will probably be picked up by another PL club.

Same goes for Mooy, on much much higher wages who has obviously wanted to experience life in China before packing it in.

I'm sure they will both look back on their careers from whichever house they are in at the time and wonder where it all went wrong.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Just had a little read through the thread to see there was a rather strong opinion that Duffy was miles better than Webster (page 4 onwards).
Wonder if those same users still think the same?

This post received 7 thumbsup :lolol: :

Webster is miles behind Duffy in terms of actually defending, he’s not particularly strong in the air, isn’t very physical, can’t track a runner to save his life, isn’t actually anywhere near as good at distributing the ball as people think, but he does have a nice touch and squares a mean 10 yard pass to Dunk.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Should have kept him and put him up front with 2 in 2. Shame it’s League One level

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just had a little read through the thread to see there was a rather strong opinion that Duffy was miles better than Webster (page 4 onwards).

Is Duffy better than Webster ? Polar opposites when it comes to CB's, but GP fancies a Webster ballplayer rather than a Duffy blunt blocking instrument. Personally I'd never have split the D&D partnership in a millions years, they are probably the best CB partnership I've ever seen at the club and I'm genuinely sad to see it come to an end. Pound for pound I think Duffy is one of the best signings BHA have ever made, but the squad and team are evolving under a new style and you just have to back the manager.

Webster isn't unlike Dunk from 5-6 years ago. He's going to make the odd ricket, but you can see the quality is there. I can see him blossoming here just like Dunk, as will White. We're in a very good place with those 3 at the heart of the team.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Webster was dodgy (at best) before lockdown, but ever since has been a different player. This is pretty universally recognised on here as far as I can see. :shrug:

As for Duffy, he's not going to be tested up there is he?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Is Duffy better than Webster ? Polar opposites when it comes to CB's, but GP fancies a Webster ballplayer rather than a Duffy blunt blocking instrument. Personally I'd never have split the D&D partnership in a millions years, they are probably the best CB partnership I've ever seen at the club and I'm genuinely sad to see it come to an end. Pound for pound I think Duffy is one of the best signings BHA have ever made, but the squad and team are evolving under a new style and you just have to back the manager.

Webster isn't unlike Dunk from 5-6 years ago. He's going to make the odd ricket, but you can see the quality is there. I can see him blossoming here just like Dunk, as will White. We're in a very good place with those 3 at the heart of the team.

I rated Duffy when we were 2nd division. I thought he was the missing piece of the jigsaw which turned us into the dominant force we were in our promotion. But once we were playing the better teams in this division, so often he looked like the player the opposition were targeting for errors. Pacey players were making him look like he'd forgotten how to coordinate his legs when it came to running and changing direction.

His distribution was also getting exposed. I noticed whenever Duffy was on the ball, the opposition would press higher than usual and very quickly forcing him into the hoof. He was never going to make the Potter style work. Great for Hughton and for anyone wanting a big strong defender who wins a lot in the air, but there's no way in my eyes he's better or even equal in overall defending to Webster.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Well I for one think we should have kept him. He offers something the other cha don't. Yep not a ball playing CB but that is only one of the required attributes.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Webster was dodgy (at best) before lockdown, but ever since has been a different player. This is pretty universally recognised on here as far as I can see. :shrug:

As for Duffy, he's not going to be tested up there is he?

He may have made a few mistakes but it was clear and obvious from the beginning what a better defender he was to Duffy. I think some people just get deluded with favouritism when it comes to judging players. Every Webster mistake gave some people more excuse to claim Duffy was the player he wasn't.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No, he was not even close to being dodgy. He has a great season. He became more consistent in the second half, yes, but he was NEVER "dodgy at best" - that is just utter bullshit.
No, it isn't bullshit. He was poor in the first half of the season.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Oh right yeah his 3 goals, 1 assist and only 1 error leading to a goal really makes him poor. FFS, some people.
Where are you getting those stats from?

My opinion is based on my own eyes. I am not saying Webster is a bad player at all, but he WAS struggling before lockdown, a fact that doesn't change just because you want to get stroppy at anyone pointing it out.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Regardless of whether he fits in with our whole thing or not, I love Shane Duffy. Have always had a passing dislike for Celtic but can't wish I'll on a team with him in it. He is living his dream and will be adored for it, fair play to him.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Webster was generally good all season. Had a couple of poor games mid season but overall did very well and really stepped it up to an outstanding level after lockdown. Still only 25 so young for a centre back and it looks like he is going to continue to get better.

Definite upgrade on Duffy and I think in time will prove to be better than Dunk.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Couple of Celtic fans comments on the big fella after tonight's game, a few of theirs share similar views to a few of ours!

https://kerrydalestreet.co.uk/shane-duffy-signed-1-year-loan-deal-t137376-s680.html

" Good header for the goal. Passing was dreadful."

"His biggest weakness has always been the Hollywood passes. For some reason he thinks he is Ronald Koeman when he has five yards of space in his own half, or maybe it is Ronald Colman, either way he thinks he is Mr. Hollywood and someone should have a word about it."

"Duffy was never a passer so this shouldn’t be a surprise

He brings plenty of other qualities"

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

I appreciate you’re trying to be clever, but I think you might have the missed the point. If you read my post again you’ll notice I said Webster is miles behind Duffy when it comes to defending, a statement that I’ll stick by. Webster is a decent all round defender, but he doesn’t particularly excel at one particular thing, Duffy is dominant in the air and strong in the tackle, he’s very old school but he’s just a better defender than Webster. Now, is Webster a better player overall? For Potter’s system you’d have to say yes, but ask yourself if Burnley we’re going to sign either Webster or Duffy, who would they choose? They’ve got different skill sets which are suited to different teams, managers and styles of play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here