Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Duffy

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Not sure complacency is a thing when the player of the season finds himself used as a stoppage time substitute every week because he can't dribble the ball out of defence.

Not really sure about GPots management of senior pros. Seems to have to an extent, ruined Duffy, Murray and Stephens. Now Maty Ryan's turn

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I think your user name sums up the style of football you like.
Duffy was brilliant for us under Hughton.

Potter plays a different style and Duffy , Murray and Stephens didn't really fit in with it.
We also had some very talented younger players coming through who deserved a chance or would move on.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Well that's the point. He's finished them

Nah.
GM is over the hill which is unsurprising considering his age.

Duffy has always been suspect with the ball at his feet. We are not the only club pushing for ball playing CB. The game has moved on.

Stephens hasn’t been his best since Gpott arrived and that is due in part to how differently we play. Saying that I thought his last season under CH was it great. I did think that Burnley’s style would suit him but maybe not.

Not sure about Ryan but goal keepers are a weird breed so could be anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think your user name sums up the style of football you like.
Duffy was brilliant for us under Hughton.

Potter plays a different style and Duffy , Murray and Stephens didn't really fit in with it.
We also had some very talented younger players coming through who deserved a chance or would move on.

Hear what you’re saying, but arguably you need a combination of both to be successful, if you are a smaller club.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Absolute nonsense I think it is more likely what we are seeing now from those players is exactly what Potter was seeing in training and why they were out of favour.

Murray is reaching the end of a great career.

Stephens we may have got a further season or two if necessary, but we have potentially better players in that area.

Duffy is a good player and is more a victim of a poor Celtic team. Given the goals we’ve conceded this season and our apparent weaknesses on set pieces, I don’t believe we’d be weaker with him in the match day squad at the very least.

To say the latter two weren’t/aren’t up to it is very harsh IMO.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Not surprised by the opinions on here and to be fair everything that gets pushed through the media is about us being a young team, Bloom clearly wants that and presumably Potter is the same.

We do have some great youngsters but to cull all the senior pros other than Dunk and March seems naive to me. I'd argue inability to manage senior pros is a weakness of the manager, as much as one of his strengths is faith in youth.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure complacency is a thing when the player of the season finds himself used as a stoppage time substitute every week because he can't dribble the ball out of defence.

Not really sure about GPots management of senior pros. Seems to have to an extent, ruined Duffy, Murray and Stephens. Now Maty Ryan's turn

Blimey. At least we know where you stand.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Not surprised by the opinions on here and to be fair everything that gets pushed through the media is about us being a young team, Bloom clearly wants that and presumably Potter is the same.

We do have some great youngsters but to cull all the senior pros other than Dunk and March seems naive to me. I'd argue inability to manage senior pros is a weakness of the manager, as much as one of his strengths is faith in youth.

I’d argue your inability to see where the game is going is the problem. Ball playing CB’s and more attack minded CM.

Aug 18, 2013
I’d argue your inability to see where the game is going is the problem. Ball playing CB’s and more attack minded CM.

I can see where the game is going thanks, i don't think throwing an inexperienced centre back in the midfield is more attack minded, and i don't think our leaky defence is going to improve much if we keep chopping and changing it without focusing on the defending element

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I'm always sad to see players who've done a great job for us fail after leaving. Same with Stockdale, and even a bit with Bridcutt. However, with each of those three, apparent weaknesses in their games that were always there, but were minimised by our tactics at the time, seem to be inherent and can't be coached out.

Shame really :down:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Murray is reaching the end of a great career.

Stephens we may have got a further season or two if necessary, but we have potentially better players in that area.

Duffy is a good player and is more a victim of a poor Celtic team. Given the goals we’ve conceded this season and our apparent weaknesses on set pieces, I don’t believe we’d be weaker with him in the match day squad at the very least.

To say the latter two weren’t/aren’t up to it is very harsh IMO.

Not saying they were not up to it but as you pointed out they were warming the bench and both want to start. I was refuting the point that Potter has made them worst players he has not we now have better so they have been moved on. The fact that Stephens is struggling to nail a spot in the first team at a struggling and thread bare Burnley and whilst good in the air Duffy is building up a catalogue of errors for both club and country I would say Potter was right to move both on.

Great servants as they were like parts of our championship squad as you look to progress to the next level some players find themselves out of favour

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I can see where the game is going thanks, i don't think throwing an inexperienced centre back in the midfield is more attack minded, and i don't think our leaky defence is going to improve much if we keep chopping and changing it without focusing on the defending element

Duffy is not the answer. He can head the ball but is slow and uncomfortable with the ball at his feet.

Dirty Leeds are very attacking with Philips in the DM role ......

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I'm always sad to see players who've done a great job for us fail after leaving. Same with Stockdale, and even a bit with Bridcutt. However, with each of those three, apparent weaknesses in their games that were always there, but were minimised by our tactics at the time, seem to be inherent and can't be coached out.

Shame really :down:

That sums it up pretty well.

If you played the team to Bridcutt strengths then he was excellent, if you didnt then the flaws started to show.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
If we can get £50,000 a week for Duffy, I'm sure we could get £75,000 a week loaning out a shopping trolley being blown in the wind...once in a while it's going to turn faster than Duffy.

Aug 18, 2013
Duffy is not the answer. He can head the ball but is slow and uncomfortable with the ball at his feet.

Dirty Leeds are very attacking with Philips in the DM role ......

Yes, Phillips is a deep lying playmaker.

I am not aware that Bielsa took Leeds' brightest prospect and converted him into a completely different position for no real reason other than an unbalanced squad of defenders

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not saying they were not up to it but as you pointed out they were warming the bench and both want to start. I was refuting the point that Potter has made them worst players he has not we now have better so they have been moved on. The fact that Stephens is struggling to nail a spot in the first team at a struggling and thread bare Burnley and whilst good in the air Duffy is building up a catalogue of errors for both club and country I would say Potter was right to move both on.

Great servants as they were like parts of our championship squad as you look to progress to the next level some players find themselves out of favour

All fair points, though I think Duffy as proved was quite formidable in the PL with Dunk, and certainly this season we look weak to anything in the air.

There are plenty of ‘head it/kick it’ CBs who fit into good teams. I think the secret is not letting them think they can play....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I have to say, this is an odd argument. How does G Pots management of senior pros affect how they perform at other clubs?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Muzza just got old in footballing terms, as much as we all recognise him as a legend.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here