Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Duffy

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The strange thing is, all Celtic fans were saying their team was absolutely crying out for a no-nonsense, physically dominant centre back.

Why on earth did they buy him if they want him to be a pacey ball-playing CB?

They've only borrowed him.

Must admit I'm very surprised at what a disaster he's been up there, but Blackburn fans would be nodding sagely. I guess with us, he was just at the right club at the right time, playing under a manager who really knew how to set up and drill a defence.

Still, the Glasgow strip clubs are quite lively, so I've heard.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I really hope he can find a good move, find some form, and some happiness. Guy is a legend and it's sad to see how things have worked out.

Yet, despite Duffy being allegedly better and he had the advantage of a mass ranked defence under CH, the Potter defence has identical stats of conceding an average of 1.5 goals per EPL game.

If the Potter defence is an endless litany of costly mistakes, then shirley the Duffy defence was equally porous to avoidable goals. I remember centre halves falling over, opposition players strolling in to score and NSC condemning our defender.

Why do you think fans made him player of the season during this period? For your theory to be true, it would suggest the majority of fans don't know anything about football, that can't be right surely - I don't think underperforming players get those awards.

My theory is Duffy and Dunk struck up a unique partnership where they both made each other better players, ie. much bigger than the sum of the parts, Duffy is suffering from that loss acutely now and I'm wondering if even Dunk has stepped back from his very high standards of recent years without that battling type alongside him

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Why do you think fans made him player of the season during this period? For your theory to be true, it would suggest the majority of fans don't know anything about football, that can't be right surely - I don't think underperforming players get those awards.

My theory is Duffy and Dunk struck up a unique partnership where they both made each other better players, ie. much bigger than the sum of the parts, Duffy is suffering from that loss acutely now and I'm wondering if even Dunk has stepped back from his very high standards of recent years without that battling type alongside him

I'm seemingly a lone voice in a divided NSC these days. I liked and rated Duffy and I rate Webster.

We can't have it both ways that Dunk and Duffy were incredible, whilst Webster's an awful defender, when the defence in both eras has identical stats of 1.5 goals conceded per EPL match.

Is it not possible that Webster and Duffy were/are both quality defenders?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Feel for the big man. It's hard to imagine how his dream move could have gone much worse.

"Four months ago, the move was set reignite his stalled career and light the fire under Celtic's charge to Ten in a Row. Yet here we are in January, a little more than halfway through the season, and the big centre-back has been so disappointing that there is already talk of sending him back to Brighton early.

Fuelled by a succession of underwhelming performances that have brutally exposed his lack of pace and inability to play out from the back, newspaper reports have suggested that neither Celtic or Brighton are averse to cutting the loan short."

From 90min.com

I can see why Celtic aren't averse, but I don't see what's in it for us.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Yes they were a great partnership back in the day, one of the very best in the entire country perhaps, but it has to be said that it is Dunk who is the footballer, good with the ball at his feet, big Shane was his foil, big and ugly, he got his head, or failing that his body, in the way of everything.

As much as l loved him he has no place in a Graham Potter team, he doesn't have the necessary skill and can't move the ball quickly enough.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Yes they were a great partnership back in the day, one of the very best in the entire country perhaps, but it has to be said that it is Dunk who is the footballer, good with the ball at his feet, big Shane was his foil, big and ugly, he got his head, or failing that his body, in the way of everything.

As much as l loved him he has no place in a Graham Potter team, he doesn't have the necessary skill and can't move the ball quickly enough.

Exactly this.

Shane is BRILLIANT for a certain style of play. If we’re playing 442 sitting back and inviting pressure, there’s not many PL CBs as solid as Duffy.

But when you’re pinging the ball about at the back, which, like it or not, is how the manager is setting us up, it’s nerve wracking with Duffy. As much as I love the guy.

However. I still believe he’s easily good enough to be amazing up in the SPL, so I have to question the manager and the team up there. And honestly, I could still see Shane being very solid in the Prem. Somewhere like Burnley for instance.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Thank goodness?

Player of the year two years ago.

May not fit with the Potter style, and being off form does not make him a bad player. Exactly what we need on set pieces, sadly that is only one element of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re right, that does read harshly, didn’t mean it to come across that critical. I voted for him as player of the season that year too.

I just mean I think we can really do without him at the moment and he might be more of a distraction than we need with whatever issues he’s got currently. Not to mention the fact he’s totally off form. Personally I think Dunk, Webster, White and Veltman are better players anyway and obviously a lot more suited to the way we play now.

On the set pieces I will say what I’ve said before also, we had a worse record from set pieces in our first season in the PL with Dunk and Duffy at the back so it’s not necessarily the answer anyway.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
On the set pieces I will say what I’ve said before also, we had a worse record from set pieces in our first season in the PL with Dunk and Duffy at the back so it’s not necessarily the answer anyway.

Didn’t that stat include direct free-kicks though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
There are rumours that Burnley are interested in signing Joe Worrall from Nottingham Forest - and the Irish media has reported that Hughton has approached Brighton about the possibility of taking Duffy on loan as a replacement. The word is that he will be out of Glasgow next week.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There are rumours that Burnley are interested in signing Joe Worrall from Nottingham Forest - and the Irish media has reported that Hughton has approached Brighton about the possibility of taking Duffy on loan as a replacement. The word is that he will be out of Glasgow next week.
Worrall has to leave Forest at some point. There is only so long a player can stay at a club they supported from childhood at the expense of furthering their career.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Duffy trending on Twitter again and not for good reasons. Loaning rather than selling is starting to look like the wrong option as his value must be plummeting

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Duffy trending on Twitter again and not for good reasons. Loaning rather than selling is starting to look like the wrong option as his value must be plummeting

I've watched a lot of his games for Celtic and whilst he's looked a shadow of himself he doesn't deserve to be the centre of the witch-hunt that he is from some of the Celtic fans. The whole side is turning out shocking performances week in week out, including when he's not playing.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Having watched Shane for many years now I know he’s better then that.

That Celtic team is a shambles and mismanaged on and off the field. Unfortunately it looks like he’s being scapegoated for what’s going on, but Celtic aren’t collapsing because of him.

100% certain Shane can crush it at SPL level and I still think he’s a very solid PL Center back for the right team (a Burnley or West Brom would suit him nicely, next season though).

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Whoever at Celtic thought it was a good idea to bring Neil Lennon back totally lost the plot that day.

Not only is he a terrible manager but also an entirely questionable individual. He is making that club a complete laughing stock.

Bet Gerrard can’t believe his luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here