Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Duffy

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
How many times since lockdown last season, and this ? Genuine question. He’s been our best CB since the resumption IMO (yes, including Dunk)

I know you love Webster unconditionally, but best CB for Brighton isn't a very high bar at the moment.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know you love Webster unconditionally, but best CB for Brighton isn't a very high bar at the moment.

Twattish comment. I don’t....just objectively looking at CB performance this season and the end of last. Webster made several mistakes previously but he seems to have cut them out mostly. Dunk has made more.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Twattish comment. I don’t....just objectively looking at CB performance this season and the end of last. Webster made several mistakes previously but he seems to have cut them out mostly. Dunk has made more.

Uncalled for insult, but not the first time you've bluntly tried to shut me down over Webster's performances. Your opinion differs from mine, fair enough. Mine is that none of the central defenders stand out above a 6/7 out of 10 at the moment .

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He's a better passer but not footballer. And Webster makes f ups and gives the ball away stupidly a fair bit

This is utter rot. Webster is miles better than Duffy. On current form, he's the best CB at our club. Which is quite something given that he's up against a club legend and a player with a £50m price tag. Defending, heading, passing, speed, carrying the ball, he's even developing his positioning too.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
He's a better passer but not footballer. And Webster makes f ups and gives the ball away stupidly a fair bit

How would you define a fair bit, I can only really remember twice when it caused a goal, at Chelsea when it was his fault for the penalty, and another but I can remember which game, not a fair bit imo

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This is utter rot. Webster is miles better than Duffy. On current form, he's the best CB at our club. Which is quite something given that he's up against a club legend and a player with a £50m price tag. Defending, heading, passing, speed, carrying the ball, he's even developing his positioning too.

Not denying he isn’t our best CB on form, because he is.

Heading is not great, little actual distance, carrying the ball needs to be improved, as if he hasn’t passed it after his second/third touch, his third/fourth is often very heavy. Positionally he is improving, but needs to attack the ball - see Everton. Along with White just seems very light for me, which also impacts set piece wise.

But, he immediately looked stronger post lock down, and is a better all-round footballer than Duffy. As you say, his pace is also deceptive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not denying he isn’t our best CB on form, because he is.

Heading is not great, little actual distance, carrying the ball needs to be improved, as if he hasn’t passed it after his second/third touch, his third/fourth is often very heavy. Positionally he is improving, but needs to attack the ball - see Everton. Along with White just seems very light for me, which also impacts set piece wise.

But, he immediately looked stronger post lock down, and is a better all-round footballer than Duffy. As you say, his pace is also deceptive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good summary.....we’re def weaker in the air (and consequently at set pieces at both ends) without Duffy but White and Webster offer much more overall. Burn doesn’t offer enough aerially either given his height advantage.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

You said he ‘makes f ups and gives the ball away a fair bit’. He hasn’t anywhere near as much since lockdown IMO. And ‘I know you love Webster unconditionally’ is a) untrue and b) twattish.

If ‘makes f ups and gives the ball away a fair bit’ is your objective assessment on his season to date then fair enough - I don’t agree.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Lennon after the Europa League game was blaming some emergency dentistry that Shane had to have.... did he not have the same thing with us? What has he been eating, gravel?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Good summary.....we’re def weaker in the air (and consequently at set pieces at both ends) without Duffy but White and Webster offer much more overall. Burn doesn’t offer enough aerially either given his height advantage.

Yes Burn is a bit of a mystery heading wise, not denying he wins headers (well you’d be disappointed if he didn’t), but they don’t offer anything either defensively or offensively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
You said he ‘makes f ups and gives the ball away a fair bit’. He hasn’t anywhere near as much since lockdown IMO. And ‘I know you love Webster unconditionally’ is a) untrue and b) twattish.

If ‘makes f ups and gives the ball away a fair bit’ is your objective assessment on his season to date then fair enough - I don’t agree.

I said that, not SSE.
I don't think that's a summation of his season, for me, he makes as many mistakes as Duffy with the ball despite it being his main strength. This season he's probably been better than Dunk but I don't think we've started well at the back. I didn't think he was particularly good after lockdown,many on here did,I just didn't see any evidence, I still think he's not particularly good CB at the defensive basics at this level

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I said that, not SSE.
I don't think that's a summation of his season, for me, he makes as many mistakes as Duffy with the ball despite it being his main strength. This season he's probably been better than Dunk but I don't think we've started well at the back. I didn't think he was particularly good after lockdown,many on here did,I just didn't see any evidence, I still think he's not particularly good CB at the defensive basics at this level

My bad - apologies to [MENTION=13265]Super Steve Earle[/MENTION]

It's odd how we've looked a bit out of sorts at the back (set pieces in particular) - it's not just down to Duffy's absence as he only started about a dozen games last season anyway. Interesting to see how we do without Dunk.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Duffy is best at heading in defence and attack and we do miss him at corners. Webster is Potter style player good on ground however although less this season makes too many mistakes and not great in the air. Many occasions has not even jumped with attacker. Hopefully will keep improving but would have hoped at £20m was finished article. Strange we still dont know what Ventner and Burn are like at CB. Maybe see tonight

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm pretty sure its a case of Celtic turning Duffy shite rather than the other way around. Neil Lennon is a complete monkey and most of their players are a case of the club basically scamming itself. Being in a dominant position and doing nothing with it... sad for Scottish football. Hope Rangers win this season.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Duffy after being less involved here, has played something like 14 games in 5 weeks in differing set-ups and with 5 different partners in central defence at Celtic. Came back from international duty and had emergency dental treatment for an abscess 2 days before taking on Rangers.
Unsurprising if his standards slip a little

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Horrific performance tonight. Again.

Quickly becoming the scapegoat (along with the "manager") among the Celtic fans. Sad to see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here