Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Duffy

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Personally think that a CB should be capable of winning the ball in the air, Dunk, Webster, Burn and White are not particularly good or indeed are poor in realtive terms.

Yes football is moving on and playing out from the back is the current vogue but opposition teams do still often like to cross the ball in the air.

Which then takes me on to how we deal with our corners, a lot of criticism about not putting in the box but to be fair we really don't have an aerial presence.

Skill is only one attribute that a footballer needs, passion is another which is why Dunk has been so good and have to say the same for Duffy when he was with us. For the lumbering oath that people portray him as he was more composed and dangerous in the opposition box than Burn.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Personally think that a CB should be capable of winning the ball in the air, Dunk, Webster, Burn and White are not particularly good or indeed are poor in realtive terms.

Yes football is moving on and playing out from the back is the current vogue but opposition teams do still often like to cross the ball in the air.

Which then takes me on to how we deal with our corners, a lot of criticism about not putting in the box but to be fair we really don't have an aerial presence.

Skill is only one attribute that a footballer needs, passion is another which is why Dunk has been so good and have to say the same for Duffy when he was with us. For the lumbering oath that people portray him as he was more composed and dangerous in the opposition box than Burn.

I like the idea of a lumbering oath in defence! However I agree that Duffy is more composed and dangerous in the opposition box than Burn, but as Burn can't head the ball, that isn't setting the bar very high.

That aside, I think Duffy is a great defensive defender and a great attacking defender in the opposition box. Attributes we have swapped out for defenders that are better playing out. We have reduced the opposition goal scoring opportunities in our new style, but we are still conceding goals from dead ball situations. Webster is the straight swap for Duffy positionally, but I just don't warm to him or appreciate what he brings to the team. All I see are his costly mistakes from poor marking, passing and dangling a leg at the ball. Would I prefer Duffy - maybe. Do I prefer Veltman to Webster - well yes I do. But I miss Duffy's solid presence at both ends of the pitch and I'm waiting for someone to rise to the occasion and make me forget him.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Feel for the big man. It's hard to imagine how his dream move could have gone much worse.

"Four months ago, the move was set reignite his stalled career and light the fire under Celtic's charge to Ten in a Row. Yet here we are in January, a little more than halfway through the season, and the big centre-back has been so disappointing that there is already talk of sending him back to Brighton early.

Fuelled by a succession of underwhelming performances that have brutally exposed his lack of pace and inability to play out from the back, newspaper reports have suggested that neither Celtic or Brighton are averse to cutting the loan short."

From 90min.com

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I like the idea of a lumbering oath in defence! However I agree that Duffy is more composed and dangerous in the opposition box than Burn, but as Burn can't head the ball, that isn't setting the bar very high.

That aside, I think Duffy is a great defensive defender and a great attacking defender in the opposition box. Attributes we have swapped out for defenders that are better playing out. We have reduced the opposition goal scoring opportunities in our new style, but we are still conceding goals from dead ball situations. Webster is the straight swap for Duffy positionally, but I just don't warm to him or appreciate what he brings to the team. All I see are his costly mistakes from poor marking, passing and dangling a leg at the ball. Would I prefer Duffy - maybe. Do I prefer Veltman to Webster - well yes I do. But I miss Duffy's solid presence at both ends of the pitch and I'm waiting for someone to rise to the occasion and make me forget him.

Yet, despite Duffy being allegedly better and he had the advantage of a mass ranked defence under CH, the Potter defence has identical stats of conceding an average of 1.5 goals per EPL game.

If the Potter defence is an endless litany of costly mistakes, then shirley the Duffy defence was equally porous to avoidable goals. I remember centre halves falling over, opposition players strolling in to score and NSC condemning our defender.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Forest reporter has said they’re not interested in him. Not surprised, woefully off form and a bit of baggage there.

He won’t be getting back anywhere near to our starting 11 that’s for sure, thank goodness.

Last edited:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
As we have all seen from the Championship Duffy is levels above SPL standard. The guy was our player of the season the season before last. It really is hard to fathom quite how it’s gone that at wrong at Celtic. If he goes to Forest they have a very good player at that level and you can see why CH would want and trust him.

heathgate

Apr 13, 2015
[emoji38]ol:

NSC would implode in its own binfestry, with Webster and Balogun our only remaining centre halves. Can you imagine
It's ok, we must have a buy back clause to get Hunemier back.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He won’t be getting back anywhere near to our starting 11 that’s for sure, thank goodness.

Thank goodness?

Player of the year two years ago.

May not fit with the Potter style, and being off form does not make him a bad player. Exactly what we need on set pieces, sadly that is only one element of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
As we have all seen from the Championship Duffy is levels above SPL standard. The guy was our player of the season the season before last. It really is hard to fathom quite how it’s gone that at wrong at Celtic. If he goes to Forest they have a very good player at that level and you can see why CH would want and trust him.

This. He may not be for us anymore, but he’s easily good enough to be amongst the best in the SPL. No question Celtic fans haven’t seen Duffy at his best.

And if he goes to Forest, again he should be easily immense at that level.

I wonder if he’s been a bit distracted off field.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006

Seems Neil Lennon has tried to get SD playing football out from the back, and with a high defensive line
thus not playing to his strengths and exposing his weaknesses
There maybe a bit of poetic licence within that description of Celtics style of play tbf
Celtics main CB is injured I think So unless they recruit SD will more than likely see out his loan IMO
But If there s family issues in the background going on I could well be wrong

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
This. He may not be for us anymore, but he’s easily good enough to be amongst the best in the SPL. No question Celtic fans haven’t seen Duffy at his best.

And if he goes to Forest, again he should be easily immense at that level.

I wonder if he’s been a bit distracted off field.

Fair assessment

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Seems Neil Lennon has tried to get SD playing football out from the back, and with a high defensive line
thus not playing to his strengths and exposing his weaknesses
There maybe a bit of poetic licence within that description of Celtics style of play tbf
Celtics main CB is injured I think So unless they recruit SD will more than likely see out his loan IMO
But If there s family issues in the background going on I could well be wrong

This - he was dropped from our regular starting 11 because he didn't fit into our style of play, so Celtic took him on loan and tried to get him to fit into their similar style of play... :jester:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The strange thing is, all Celtic fans were saying their team was absolutely crying out for a no-nonsense, physically dominant centre back.

Why on earth did they buy him if they want him to be a pacey ball-playing CB?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here