Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
For goodness sake :laugh:

No wonder some people need hands held.

So are you going to tell me that if the speed limit rules were removed people would still drive at the current speed limits because that was what they wanted to do? You're actually going to sit there and tell me that, are you?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So are you going to tell me that if the speed limit rules were removed people would still drive at the current speed limits because that was what they wanted to do? You're actually going to sit there and tell me that, are you?

I’m a ‘people’ and would.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So the government want people to wear face coverings in enclosed spaces but don't want to make themselves unpopular by legislating for it.

Absolute cowards, the lot of them.

The thing is most of the public want to see facemaks mandatory for things like public transport and supermarkets, not forever but for the time being. Still circa 45% of UK pop not fully vax'd. Its not a popular move

This gov are desperate to try and wash their hands of as much responsibility as possible.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Of course they would drive responsibly, as people don't want to die - you are assuming everyone in the UK is an idiot and has some sort of death risk - are the police on every road monitoring speeds? No, is there mass carnage on these roads? no.

The fact you compare reckless driving to knowing when to wear a mask which is a complete different risk level says a lot.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The thing is most of the public want to see facemaks mandatory for things like public transport and supermarkets, not forever but for the time being. Still circa 45% of UK pop not fully vax'd. Its not a popular move

This gov are desperate to try and wash their hands of as much responsibility as possible.
Is that the new way of ensuring restrictions go on for ever? Use "percentage of total population vaccinated" as the benchmark, while ensuring that the number can't get too high because we aren't vaccinating children?

What's the percentage of people over 40 who want to be fully vaccinated but aren't?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Sigh.

The reason we have speed limits that are legally enforced is that some people would ignore them otherwise. If this just involved them risking themselves then one might argue fair enough but speeding drivers injury and kill other motorists and pedestrians.

With face coverings although they afford you some protection the main benefit of wearing them is they protect other people. Again the lack of threat of legal sanction makes some people less likely to wear them, hence making it more likely other people while catch Covid.

I really don't see why this is so difficult to understand.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Is that the new way of ensuring restrictions go on for ever? Use "percentage of total population vaccinated" as the benchmark, while ensuring that the number can't get too high because we aren't vaccinating children?

What's the percentage of people over 40 who want to be fully vaccinated but aren't?

There would have to be a cut off point when at least everyone has been offered the opportunity of two vaccines. Which actually isn't too far off now.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Sigh.

The reason we have speed limits that are legally enforced is that some people would ignore them otherwise. If this just involved them risking themselves then one might argue fair enough but speeding drivers injury and kill other motorists and pedestrians.

With face coverings although they afford you some protection the main benefit of wearing them is they protect other people. Again the lack of threat of legal sanction makes some people less likely to wear them, hence making it more likely other people while catch Covid.

I really don't see why this is so difficult to understand.

I am really sure what's not to understand the guidance either, law or not people that wont wear masks wont wear masks.

Do you think someone sitting on a bus/train/empty supermarket etc on their own should face legal action for not wearing a mask properly/at all?

What would you do about Nightclubs etc? have everyone fined/arrested for not wearing one in there?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I am really sure what's not to understand the guidance.

Do you think someone sitting on a bus/train/empty supermarket etc on their own should face legal action for not wearing a mask properly/at all?

I think they should be told to put one on. Before you spring your 'cleverly' concealed trap on me I am aware they are on their own but in an unventilated space the virus could linger after they get off and someone else gets on. Unfortunately laws can be a blunt instrument and mass communication has to be straight forward so you can't offer people exemptions.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
What would you do about Nightclubs etc? have everyone fined/arrested for not wearing one in there?

<this bit added after I replied>

To be honest I am not that bothered about night clubs. Other than staff being protected they are hardly essential to visit.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think they should be told to put one on. Before you spring your 'cleverly' concealed trap on me I am aware they are on their own but in an unventilated space the virus could linger after they get off and someone else gets on. Unfortunately laws can be a blunt instrument and mass communication has to be straight forward so you can't offer people exemptions.

It is straight forward, I am struggling to see where the issue is other than people trying to make one where there isn't one.

To make it a finable offence to not wear a mask somewhere empty is ridiculous and a complete waste of police time, which is the reason why they have moved away from it being the law.

The majority of people in polling show they clearly want to wear one in the advised settings, so why does it need to be law if people are aware of social responsibility?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
<this bit added after I replied>

To be honest I am not that bothered about night clubs. Other than staff being protected they are hardly essential to visit.

Apologies - mid-edit.

You might not be, but others are (not me) and making mask legal requirement kills them off - plus how do you enforce it? random police checks?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
One week to go until freedom day :rave:

Cannot wait until we don't have to wear those stupid bloody masks ever again.

Hmm

I can’t wait for more that the idea of masks ..but on that subject ..if a game was at The Amex tomorrow and U were going by train in a packed carriage would u not wear one? Do u believe it’s for yourself or others? …I’d possibly have one in my back pocket .at least for now to possibly use in that situation although I’m not convinced over their effectiveness ..popping off to do my food shop which I tend to do after work when it’s not busy ..I’m looking forward to not wearing one as I enjoy the interaction with staff etc

Last edited:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It is straight forward, I am struggling to see where the issue is other than people trying to make one where there isn't one.

To make it a finable offence to not wear a mask somewhere empty is ridiculous and a complete waste of police time, which is the reason why they have moved away from it being the law.

The majority of people in polling show they clearly want to wear one in the advised settings, so why does it need to be law if people are aware of social responsibility?

Simply because some people won't (admittedly some people aren't at the moment but the lack of legal recourse will increase this). In an ideal world society should have the flexibility to allow people to use their judgement but in the real world some people haven't got the sense they are born with and others just don't care.

We are talking a few extra weeks as well.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Apologies - mid-edit.

You might not be, but others are (not me) and making mask legal requirement kills them off - plus how do you enforce it? random police checks?

I am only suggesting compulsory face coverings in things like public transport and shops that people need to access. Pubs and night clubs, if you don't work in one, aren't essential.

Yoda

English & European
One week to go until freedom day :rave:

Cannot wait until we don't have to wear those stupid bloody masks ever again.

Same, although I shall be keeping mine for use on busy trains going to & from the Amex on match days as recommended by the Government. Doubt I'll bother at the Supermarket as we do most of our shopping late evening when it's not busy anyway.

One good piece of news is from November when we move organisation from one CSU to another and return to some in office work, our new office is a 5 minutes walk from where I live so will no longer need to worry about public transport getting there. :)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Apologies - mid-edit.

How do masks kill off nightclubs?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
In the Netherlands, cases up 600% in 7 days

Dutch PM Mark Rutte has apologised for relaxing coronavirus restrictions too soon as cases surge in the wake of reopening.

Measures have been on reimposed on bars, restaurants and nightclubs as cases have spread rapidly among young people. Restaurants and bars will have their opening hours restricted while clubs will be closed entirely.

“What we thought would be possible, turned out not to be possible in practice,” Rutte told reporters on Monday. “We had poor judgement, which we regret and for which we apologise.”

Infection levels in the Netherlands have risen to their highest levels of this year in recent days. However, as most case are young people, the rise in infections has yet to lead to a significant increase in hospitalisations

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here