Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
with no treatments available this could really be serious

Nah. Once you've seen Wuhan virus you've seen 'em all.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
“Because we humans are big and clever enough to produce and utilize antibiotics and disinfectants, it is easy to convince ourselves that we have banished bacteria to the fringes of existence. Don't you believe it. Bacteria may not build cities or have interesting social lives, but they will be here when the Sun explodes. This is their planet, and we are on it only because they allow us to be.“

Bill Bryson, A Short History of Nearly Everything

Actually, we have harnessed the abilities of Bacteria and have hijacked them for our own cellular biology needs. However, this latest potential disaster is a Virus, a small genetic package that invades cells and switches the cells function to manufacturing replica genetic packages to the exclusion of all other functions.... most Viruses will weaken a human or animal host but generally it is not in the Virus's best interests to actually kill it's host.

That's most virus's though, a 40-60% host mortality rate will still enable the virus to thrive.

D

Deleted member 2719

The planet dealing with Global Warming in its own way.
Planes are supposed to be a safe form of travel.
I have said for years they are more likely to kill off the masses, its the indirect method not many look at, I just hope I am wrong.

Most people think short term, to suit their agendas.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Planes are supposed to be a safe form of travel.
I have said for years they are more likely to kill off the masses, its the indirect method not many look at, I just hope I am wrong.

Most people think short term, to suit their agendas.

Who are "they"?

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
4 people being treated in Scotland for the Wuhan virus having just returned from there. <sigh>

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Sometimes I think the planet could do with losing 50% of the human population. Trouble is I seem pretty susceptible to respiratory diseases so would prefer a different pandemic to clear the planet instead.

Dec 29, 2011
Although the initial message was seemingly a bit cheeky, I was shocked there wasn't already a thread on this. Is there still a level of apathy in the UK?

The Chinese are concerned, they've locked down a city bigger than London. Unconfirmed reports of people dying before they reach the hospital in Wuhan, and a two week incubation period means we can't yet tell the full scale of infected.

Canada Tire Pro

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Times major feature today and that article, also by experts, said we shouldn’t worry...not yet anyway.

As said previously, these panics are only panics if you’re that way inclined. The death toll will still be smaller than bee stings and yet people don’t cower behind their doors afraid to go out each day. If you do, well, you’re just a bit mental then and nothings going to calm you there’s nothing to worry about.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sometimes I think the planet could do with losing 50% of the human population. Trouble is I seem pretty susceptible to respiratory diseases so would prefer a different pandemic to clear the planet instead.

Unenlightened self-interest at it's best.

Have you put your name forward for consideration as the next candidate in a safe tory seat yet? ;-) ???

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Times major feature today and that article, also by experts, said we shouldn’t worry...not yet anyway.

As said previously, these panics are only panics if you’re that way inclined. The death toll will still be smaller than bee stings and yet people don’t cower behind their doors afraid to go out each day. If you do, well, you’re just a bit mental then and nothings going to calm you there’s nothing to worry about.

I'd suggest you do a little bit more research before you come up with cock and bull quotes like that. Bee stings will never wipe us out as a species but a Virus could.

Jordy

Exiled Seagull
Dec 1, 2009
I'd suggest you do a little bit more research before you come up with cock and bull quotes like that. Bee stings will never wipe us out as a species but a Virus could.

Have you not heard the prophecy?

Zs8ZzNH7MK-6.png

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
In 1952 there was a smallpox outbreak in Brighton. A man & a nurse died in Bevendean hospital. Foredown hospital in Portslade was also used as an isolation hospital.
In 1967, whilst in the Navy, I caught the horrible Asian flu which was endemic at the time.
I’m still here.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here