Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Genuine science / medicine question here - why do these global epidemics always seem to originate in the Far East or more specifically China? SARS, bird flu and now this have all started out there.

China’s a diverse country; parts are incredibly densely populated yet prosperous, others more isolated but deprived. Many towns and cities will no doubt be a blend of those extremes. You could probably apply the same to India for instance though, and yet we don’t seem to see the development of new viruses or diseases there in the same way.

So, yeah, why China?
Apparently originated in a Fish Market there, where they have other animals, some illegal, they reckon it was a bat that transmitted it to other animals there, it then mutated and crossed to humans. You'd hope in Western countries, biosecurity is taken a bit more seriously, hence why these things break out in less advanced countries.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Glad you are this confident , would be awful if you were wrong though..... and one day you will be.

Obviously, but in a Spike Milligan ‘told you I was ill’ sort of way.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
There are people, mainly of a certain age group who state they have chosen to not have kids after deciding there is no reasonable future for them.
We now have this virus.
Depopulation has been one aim of the Illuminati's for a while. :moo:

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Apparently originated in a Fish Market there, where they have other animals, some illegal, they reckon it was a bat that transmitted it to other animals there, it then mutated and crossed to humans. You'd hope in Western countries, biosecurity is taken a bit more seriously, hence why these things break out in less advanced countries.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...ly-got-deadly-Chinese-coronavirus-SNAKES.html

Humans likely got the deadly Chinese coronavirus from SNAKES sold at the Wuhan market, study suggests

Huanan Seafood Market in China is in the middle of the coronavirus outbreak
Chinese officials said the virus may have originated in an animal at the market
Different strains of viruses carry proteins that let them effect certain species
When viral genes combine and mutate, new strains can gain access to previously unaffected species
Peking University researchers analyzed RNA from hundreds of coronavirus strains and compared them to the new one
It appears to be a combination of a virus that infects bats and a mystery strain
A version that infects snakes was a close match, suggesting that serpents sold at the market acted as a 'reservoir' and passed the virus to humans

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Loads of kids I coach here have gone off to China, Singapore, Hong Kong and Vietnam for the New Year. Fingers crossed they don't come back in a couple weeks with this.......

........ if they do I'll be sure to let the OP know here though!

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
“Because we humans are big and clever enough to produce and utilize antibiotics and disinfectants, it is easy to convince ourselves that we have banished bacteria to the fringes of existence. Don't you believe it. Bacteria may not build cities or have interesting social lives, but they will be here when the Sun explodes. This is their planet, and we are on it only because they allow us to be.“

Bill Bryson, A Short History of Nearly Everything

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
As it is a Corona virus, do you get money back if you take back the empties? And do you have to go for a fizzical?

#onefortheteenagers

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Loads of people already left the city and on the move back to their families for Chinese New Year, couldn't have happened at a worse time. CNY is the biggest single movement of people of planet earth

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I'm in quarantine in Lewes with Mrs Shingle, we were on the air china flight from Beijing to London on Monday, and there were loads of Chinese around us coughing and sneezing, for the first time ever I wore one of those face covers for the whole flight.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Even though it's hard to contract I can see why it spreading in China, everyone gobbing in the streets, no one covers there mouth when coughing, the place is a nightmare for respiratory diseases. They say if you're gonna catch TB anywhere in the world it'll be China.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Wuhan, a huge city of 11 million people. And I've never even heard of it before...:shrug:

Ah! If you'd been a fan of Monty Python you'd have heard of it! They did a sketch once taking the piss out of football songs like 'Back Home' and 'Blue is the Colour'. They had various First Division (PL) goalies eulogising about how much they loved the Yangste river, and then they finished with a spoof song in the style of 'Back Home'. In the week that saw the sad passing of Terry Jones here are the lyrics. I'm sure there's probably a YouTube video of it.

"We love the Yangtse, Yangtse-Kiang,
Flowing from Yushu down to Ching-Kiang,
Passing through Chung King, Wuhan and Hoo-Kow
Three thousand miles, but it gets there somehow.
Oh! Szechuan's the province and Shanghai is the port,
And the Yangtse is the river that we all support!"

FannieMac

Jan 4, 2014

statisitically ther'es a huge Chinese population too, so more chances for something like this as well

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
And if you want grief, then bring the ruckus!
Wuhan Man ain't nuthing ta f**k wit
Straight from the motherf**kin' slums that's busted
Wuhan Man ain't nuthing ta f**k wit

Method Man is prophetic.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Genuine science / medicine question here - why do these global epidemics always seem to originate in the Far East or more specifically China? SARS, bird flu and now this have all started out there.

China’s a diverse country; parts are incredibly densely populated yet prosperous, others more isolated but deprived. Many towns and cities will no doubt be a blend of those extremes. You could probably apply the same to India for instance though, and yet we don’t seem to see the development of new viruses or diseases there in the same way.

So, yeah, why China?

Better R & D facilities ?

Dec 29, 2011
statisitically ther'es a huge Chinese population too, so more chances for something like this as well

India is very similar, why doesn't anything originate from there? Perhaps because Indians are largely vegetarian so less livestock around to pass diseases?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here