Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Now studies are showing that asymptomatic people can’t infect others and that masks do nothing. .

Ignoring the rest, hasn't all the much trumpeted research suggested that wearing a mask doesn't offer the wearer protection? Which almost everyone knew

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ignoring the rest, hasn't all the much trumpeted research suggested that wearing a mask doesn't offer the wearer protection? Which almost everyone knew

wearing basic masks prevents the infected spreading virus, thats why we wear them.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
So despite literally calling it wrong at every turn and having their memes taken apart by anyone providing cursory scrutiny and vaccinations quite possibly starting with a month the usual suspects are still ploughing on claiming it is just the flu and we their shouldn't be any restrictions?

Have some self respect and give it a rest lads. You were wrong and if you had been in charge more people would have died. As a society we just need to baton down the hatches for a few months then science will save us. Which is what everyone with half a brain predicted would happen.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The wisest advice I have heard on this is that 'no one wants to die a day before they would have got the vaccine'.

So now is the time to really concentrate on the prevention measures with the light now visible at the end of the tunnel.

Sadly a "celebrating Christmas is more important than anything" mindset will mean a few will indeed die before their time, tragically with the vaccine so close.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I’m interested to see a graph of the ONS infection survey numbers - from March onwards. Just to see how they think the March peak looks like compared to the current one.

I thought I saw a graph which showed they had the March peak as about 10 times higher. I found the graph I want but now they only show from May onwards- see below. Can anyone find the graph showing the whole thing from March onwards? Thanks.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/latest
2c41635344127faf2edf684f5a182d22.jpg

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Actually that the wrong graph! It’s the one which estimates total number of cases I wanted.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1331195446056914948[/TWEET]

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Christmas deal has been agreed - details to follow.

Edit: Three households will be allowed to mix. Further details to follow.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Christmas deal has been agreed - details to follow.

Just seen some details on the news. Have to say, I am concerned by this, because unless I've misunderstood, we are now discussing how to lift restrictions at the point where the deaths and infections are, at best, levelling out (although I believe the last few days figures always tend to be low, if I have understood correctly) or, at worst, still on an upward curve and students are just about to go home :shrug:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
[TWEET]1331195446056914948[/TWEET]

Good god, how can they be so blatant with their lies... For weeks on end they said they were following the science, now they are changing that to guided.

I know hindsight is a wonderful tool, and politicians like a bit of "miss speak" sometimes, but claiming you were doing one thing retrospectively when quite clearly you weren't is just a blatant lie...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Christmas deal has been agreed - details to follow.s

Just bonkers and so irresponsible, people will die

I would have kept restrictions on rewarded a compliant public with an extra public holiday in the spring.

Any meetings with elderly relatives will be outdoors only for me

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Since this whole sorry mess began a lot has been talked about the mental health effect that the Covid lockdown will have had on the general population. I stumbled across a very interesting article in the BMJ regarding suicide rates, primarily in the U.K., but with reference also to worldwide trends. It makes very interesting reading.

It does appear to indicate, despite what many expected, that there isn’t a general increase in suicide rates in the U.K., and some countries have actually seen a reduction in expected numbers. However, it does appear younger people, under 19, have been hit hardest, although again the data conclusions were that it wasn’t clear! Footnote 16 of the report gives more sobering detail.

The encouraging element of the main report appears to indicate that the expected rise in suicides during worldwide lockdown hasn’t materialised, although there is talk of a “honeymoon” period. Clearly though humans are more resilient than many believed...

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4352

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The lockdown No.1 documentary on BBC2 tonight is very informative.

Among the many things I have taken from this is the estimate that there would have been 50% less deaths if Boris had locked down 1 week earlier.

The behavioural science that stated people wouldn’t adhere to the lockdown for long did not come from the behavioural science committee that reported in to SAGE, it came from elsewhere. Unbelievable.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The lockdown No.1 documentary on BBC2 tonight is very informative.

Among the many things I have taken from this is the estimate that there would have been 50% less deaths if Boris had locked down 1 week earlier.

The behavioural science that stated people wouldn’t adhere to the lockdown for long did not come from the behavioural science committee that reported in to SAGE, it came from elsewhere. Unbelievable.

did it explain why? did it give an alternative behaviour and protocols for NHS and carehomes that would have occurred one week earlier?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The talk of us being put potentially in tier 3 in East Sussex, when we were in tier 1 when we went into lockdown is utterly unbelievable isn’t it. Infection rates have dropped off pretty fast in Brighton and Hove over the last week as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here