Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I’ve been mocked for saying this before, but it’s important. Take vitamin D and give it to elderly, vulnerable, or BAME friends or relatives or at least advise them to take it. If everyone had done this in March then things could’ve been a lot different.

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2020/1124/1180110-covid-19-vitamin-d-ireland/

100%. The amount of noise about masks but almost nothing about what people can do to actually make themselves healthier and improve their own immune systems.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Why would anyone queue for three hours to buy pyjamas? Let alone putting your life at risk to do so.

At least they’ll have something to wear when admitted to hospital

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Just read the first 75 pages of this thread again. Pretty interesting. From the first two weeks or so when it was only 5 or 6 posers who even noticed it and then more and more people joining in. The first one to scream "close the borders!" was considered very silly and alarmist. Tbf he also predicted "hundreds of millions of deaths" and it never really got that bad (though we still dont know how many died in third world countries).

Some, like Trigaar and Kalimantan Seagull, kept it balanced, steady and in the latter case factual, some including me were a bit too worried, a few were panicking - all of us looking at information though.

The bunch of people saying "its just a flu", like Thunder Bolt, portlock_idiot, GB and a couple of others were far more condescending against the worried people rather than vice versa. And now I know you're thinking "yes, yes, but what did HWT think?", well he was on his own planet talking about nothing so its hard to tell.

What they also had in common was that they were referring to their previous personal experiences ("I had the asian flu in 1967 and I'm still alive) rather than the information available. Later it turns out that a lot of these aggressive "its just a flu"-people actually had some of the biggest reasons to worry and that their reactions might have been more self-defense mechanism than thought through perspectives.

What does this have to do with anything? Not much really, other than being really interesting from some kind of psycho-sociological perspective. Once this shit is over the thread should be printed and put in some public library as a time document portraying this difficult time that is now hopefully ****ing off to the ocean of past, horrible history.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Just read the first 75 pages of this thread again. Pretty interesting. From the first two weeks or so when it was only 5 or 6 posers who even noticed it and then more and more people joining in. The first one to scream "close the borders!" was considered very silly and alarmist. Tbf he also predicted "hundreds of millions of deaths" and it never really got that bad (though we still dont know how many died in third world countries).

Some, like Trigaar and Kalimantan Seagull, kept it balanced, steady and in the latter case factual, some including me were a bit too worried, a few were panicking - all of us looking at information though.

The bunch of people saying "its just a flu", like Thunder Bolt, portlock_idiot, GB and a couple of others were far more condescending against the worried people rather than vice versa. And now I know you're thinking "yes, yes, but what did HWT think?", well he was on his own planet talking about nothing so its hard to tell.

What they also had in common was that they were referring to their previous personal experiences ("I had the asian flu in 1967 and I'm still alive) rather than the information available. Later it turns out that a lot of these aggressive "its just a flu"-people actually had some of the biggest reasons to worry and that their reactions might have been more self-defense mechanism than thought through perspectives.

What does this have to do with anything? Not much really, other than being really interesting from some kind of psycho-sociological perspective. Once this shit is over the thread should be printed and put in some public library as a time document portraying this difficult time that is now hopefully ****ing off to the ocean of past, horrible history.

Yeah it’s funny, I’ve done that myself a couple of times. It’s interesting to relive those early days with the benefit of hindsight.

The thing is, we’ve had threats of pandemics before in our lifetime and nothing of great significance ever came of it. We had Ebola in Africa and Zika in Brazil in recent years, and whilst they were both devastating to the areas immediately affected they stayed local. Evidently this was different.

I think there’s also an element of human nature, particularly humans who have only ever known relative peace, that struggles to process and comprehend impending doom. “Something this massive has never happened before, so it can’t be happening now”.

I would say I was amongst the first in my immediate social and working circle to raise real concern. I remember having an argument with the wife in the car about it. “FFS you big fanny, you’re not gonna die - stop worrying about it and crack on with yourself life”. Truth is, I wasn’t that worried about dying, but I could sense an economic disaster and all the misery that brings.

In early March, I made a point of going for a pint at the pub across the road from the office almost every night. I’d get chatting to some of the lads, as we stood in a crowded boozer - “you realise we’re not gonna be able to do this for a long time soon, you know?” I was given similarly short shrift once again.

All that said, the penny was still slow to drop. I remember seeing footage of people locked up in their homes in Wuhan in January, shouting to one another to keep up their collective spirits. I literally remember thinking “I’m glad that’s not me”.

It wasn’t really until Italy went into lockdown that it really dawned on me how serious this was going to be. China having a lockdown was one thing, but a European country following suit was utterly jaw dropping. Shiiiiit.

Easy to forget all that now.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Leeds nearly down to Sussex levels now - if we don't go down to Tier 2 there will be an uproar, particularly given the much better hospital provision here.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Leeds nearly down to Sussex levels now - if we don't go down to Tier 2 there will be an uproar, particularly given the much better hospital provision here.

Ooh, that does sound promising. Where did you see those figures out of interest? I'm gagging for a pint.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

You can be pretty insightful when you want and you are spot on about me. Having been in East Asia for two previous pandemic scares that came to nothing I couldn't really process that this one would do - at least not until too late. And my posts were certainly self-defence. I like to think that if I think something won't happen then it doesn't. Of course this only actually works with stuff I can control myself.

I have no idea why the rest of the time you surround yourself with anti Jewish propaganda and pizza boxes. A lot of the time you are one of the most insightful posters on here and certainly one of the most entertaining.

Hopefully the vaccine really is an end to it all and not Bill Gates trying to find out what octogenarians in Dundee and Hammersmith get up to in their care homes. If so that should mean game tickets next season and if you fly over I hope a few from here will buy you a beer.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Thank you muchly!

And we're the same, kids are 7 and 4 so chances were limited even before all the fun began. We had a few family meals when the pubs and restaurants were open, but I think I've only had three or four pints in a pub that didn't involve the kids since the middle of March.

The state of my recycling bin though. :eek:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Thank you muchly!

And we're the same, kids are 7 and 4 so chances were limited even before all the fun began. We had a few family meals when the pubs and restaurants were open, but I think I've only had three or four pints in a pub that didn't involve the kids since the middle of March.

The state of my recycling bin though.
:eek:

Yes, why don't they take glass though? :censored:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The Welsh Assembly have just notified secondary schools that they’ll move to online learning on Monday due to the rising R-number in Wales. I wonder how long we’ll be off for this time.

:(

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Just watching the latest press conference. Nick Hancock saying 1 in 3 people get no symptoms whatsoever. Yes, I get you can still pass it on to the vulnerable, but surely thats the same with all other cold/flu viruses.
I still think the hype of this is a bit over played, and the scary death tolls each day should be measured with how many people are expected to die without a covid positive test result within 28 days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here