Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Apparently we need 90,000 British pickers to keep the shelves stacked with fresh produce because those pesky foreigners cant get here

One farm advertised for pickers and got thousands of applications, so we should be ok on that score.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Peoples wages need to be changed after this, the key workers should be the most highly paid and then it should trickle down to the jobs that dont really matter. There will be alot of pissed off people

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Who determines whether a job matters? I can't think of many that don't.

Admittedly nurses etc. are particularly critical at this time, and always key, but in normal times so are plumbers such as yourself, planners, shop workers, bin men, etc.

Do you think museums matter, for example? Or just certain types of museum?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Another 950 deaths and 8102 new cases in Spain, they’ve had nearly a week now of ‘peak’ figures and today’s death total is the highest.

Another reminder too STAY IN-BLOODY-DOORS

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The most ironic thing is what these morons don’t realise, is that by going out and doing that they are only extending this lock down. Where are these people driving even going?

I know Boris' line is that the better we adhere to the lockdown the sooner it'll be over, but I don't think this is true. By flattening the curve it we are extending it.

The alternative being everyone ignoring it, and the NHS completely collapsing, with huge numbers of deaths.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

I agree, Peston has been particularly annoying.

hqdefault.jpg

Love the comment 'Peston would give an aspirin a headache'.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I know Boris' line is that the better we adhere to the lockdown the sooner it'll be over, but I don't think this is true. By flattening the curve it we are extending it.

The alternative being everyone ignoring it, and the NHS completely collapsing, with huge numbers of deaths.

Indeed, that’s why Spain and Italy’s figures, although horrific are actually showing that it’s working, Italy new cases are beginning to come down and Spain figures have generally stopped rising/levelled off, this is exactly what the lock down does. People have to realise that the lockdown isn’t a miracle that is going to stop people dying, the unfortunate truth is it’s damage limitation.

The alternative is total chaos with the NHS already stretched resources collapsing and many more thousands dead.3D5B8AA4-505F-429C-9B54-3D02591462DC.jpeg

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I used to watch 'The Little and Large Show' as a kid in the 80's and loved it. That is desperately sad news.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Who determines whether a job matters? I can't think of many that don't.

Admittedly nurses etc. are particularly critical at this time, and always key, but in normal times so are plumbers such as yourself, planners, shop workers, bin men, etc.

Do you think museums matter, for example? Or just certain types of museum?
Of course all jobs matter for society to function but some jobs dont warrant 5 times the pay as others imo

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Speaking to some ASDA and Sainsbury’s staff over the last month, they all say it’s the same faces who’ve been queuing to get in at 6 or 7am day after day. The moment the doors open, punters literally and comically sprinting for the shelves holding paracetamol, loo rolls, anti-bacterial [not anti-viral] wipes and basmati rice. Punches thrown at times.

The stockpiles of those products at some homes must look ludicrous.

Have you started at early shift in the actual shop yet?

I’m mainly doing 7-12 shifts - so just when the shop opens - it’s like watching the final game in supermarket sweep - bashing people out the way and sprinting to items - I actually saw a fist fight the other day, people have actually lost it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m mainly doing 7-12 shifts - so just when the shop opens - it’s like watching the final game in supermarket sweep - bashing people out the way and sprinting to items - I actually saw a fist fight the other day, people have actually lost it.

Handbags over the basmati.

I was going to say only in the UK, but there are plenty of videos of ********s scuffling/fighting in stores in France, the States and Australia, to name just three.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Handbags over the basmati.

I was going to say only in the UK, but there are plenty of videos of ********s scuffling/fighting in stores in France, the States and Australia, to name just three.
As aside, we were out of rice and haven't been able to find lentils anywhere. My Mrs is great at cooking a massive batch of really nice Indian/Spanish/Thai food that will feed us for weeks so I popped down the local Turkish (might be Irani, whatever) supermarket and they had EVERYTHING.

Tins of whatever you want (even loads of tomatoes), bags of rice, lentils, loads of other pulses and grains that I'd never heard of (but that I bet are nice). Even some spaghetti. And plenty of bog roll.

Was recommended by a Sri Lankan girl who works in our local garage about a week ago.

"Try the "Asian" shops for essentials".

Hardly anyone in there too, no queues and everyone being sensible, including the staff.

One in the eye for the racists out there. "I'm not going in that filthy Asian shop....".

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As aside, we were out of rice and haven't been able to find lentils anywhere. My Mrs is great at cooking a massive batch of really nice Indian/Spanish/Thai food that will feed us for weeks so I popped down the local Turkish (might be Irani, whatever) supermarket and they had EVERYTHING.

Tins of whatever you want (even loads of tomatoes), bags of rice, lentils, loads of other pulses and grains that I'd never heard of (but that I bet are nice). Even some spaghetti. And plenty of bog roll.

Was recommended by a Sri Lankan girl who works in our local garage about a week ago.

"Try the "Asian" shops for essentials".

Hardly anyone in there too, no queues and everyone being sensible, including the staff.

One in the eye for the racists out there. "I'm not going in that filthy Asian shop....".

As another aside, I’ve known racists before, who love a good Indian or Chinese meal. I guess their reasoning is “ the food’s allowed, but no Pa*i’s in my country”.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here