Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
What if you do have it but you have picked it up at the supermarket a day later?

Test on the way in, we need to move away from the test everything 15 times, obviously if you have symptoms test.

OK, your position is quite clear, to the point of over exaggeration - I STILL think it would have been more beneficial, for the purposes of collecting meaningful data to have retested all participants...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sky News just showed violence today in Brussels, Turin and Paris. Protestors sick of lockdowns, fighting riot police and smashing shop windows.

Thank fck for the vaccine here. Young people in particular across Europe (in its entirety with the UK) have had to endure an unprecedented year of boredom in the last 13 months, missing out on so much.

Imho it had to be done, but I understand their emotions.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
OK, your position is quite clear, to the point of over exaggeration - I STILL think it would have been more beneficial, for the purposes of collecting meaningful data to have retested all participants...

Why would you retest everything, the point of the trial was to see how many things would Work.

When things open up it will be the same sort of process.

Last edited:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Why would you retest everything, the point of the trial was to see how many things would Work.

When things open up it will be the same sort of process.

But they are asking people to test and report back, there's just no compulsion, which in the case of this trial I believe there should have been.

Retesting everybody would have given a fantastic data pool for future analysis and seems a missed opportunity.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
But they are asking people to test and report back, there's just no compulsion, which in the case of this trial I believe there should have been.

Retesting everybody would have given a fantastic data pool for future analysis and seems a missed opportunity.

What data would testing after give that they don’t know?

How does a test taken 4/5 days after show anything from one event?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Yes. It would.

If you are running it as a test (and it is one of quite a few different types of test event as I understand it), then make damn sure you get the best possible data from it!

The possibility that you may have picked it up in the following days is of course there. But obviously that can be accounted for in the analysis.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Yes. It would.

If you are running it as a test (and it is one of quite a few different types of test event as I understand it), then make damn sure you get the best possible data from it!

The possibility that you may have picked it up in the following days is of course there. But obviously that can be accounted for in the analysis.

Thank you, I was beginning to think it was just me that could see the flaw in this process!

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
If you have several thousand people at a test event then some of them might catch it afterwards. However people who weren't at the test event are in the same boat so surely you would just compare infection rates between the two groups?

Yoda

English & European
I can't but feel the Government & SAGE are missing a trick with vaccine efficacy testing at the moment with the amount of home & (care/hospital) work testing being done.

My other half works part time at both a care home & a school and so gets tested 3 times a week at the care home, plus has to do a LFT at home twice a week for the school.

I can't but help think every time I'm inputting the results on the governments reporting site they should be asking if they have received one or two doses of the vaccine & which vaccine it is. Then for a positive result ask about and send test kits for others living with them to take to check how effective the vaccine is at stopping the spread of the virus.

I just cannot believe this hasn't been thought of and we would have a good 2 months worth of extra data to work with by now.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Tips on hugging safely

SAGE advice on hugging safely

Hoping everyone follows this advice on hugging safely, and does so in a controlled manner and only if necessary.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Still a bit concerned that cases here in Leeds and much of W Yorks are still around ~50/100k and not dropping much. I guess this is a combination of ethnic minorities not being vaccinated, and people working in factories without social distancing, plus students?

Been to shopping centres in Bradford and Leeds in the last couple of weeks and I'd say the mask-wearing rates in these were about 50% and 70% respectively.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Still a bit concerned that cases here in Leeds and much of W Yorks are still around ~50/100k and not dropping much. I guess this is a combination of ethnic minorities not being vaccinated, and people working in factories without social distancing, plus students?

Been to shopping centres in Bradford and Leeds in the last couple of weeks and I'd say the mask-wearing rates in these were about 50% and 70% respectively.

Could be to do with the new so called Indian strain, SAGE scientists already warning the government they should now postpone the next unlocking on Monday.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/12/indian-covid-variant-calls-in-question-17-may-reopening-in-uk-say-experts

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here