Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Well that's a selective clip of a policeman trying to deal with a kid that doesn't want to be dealt with.

I'm not sure how you turn that into 'they (Australia) have totally lost the plot'

Edit: Just spoke to my 23yo daughter who lives in Sydney ... says life going on pretty well as (Covid) normal, no signs of wholesale Police brutality (yet)

Nope nothing to see here [emoji2359]

https://youtu.be/1bQ_XLRGSCk

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Nope nothing to see here [emoji2359]

https://youtu.be/1bQ_XLRGSCk

Right, keep putting the clips up to suit your agenda. I'm sure a quick google will find similar from any country in the world and not limited to Covid either.

I'm just back from Brighton where on the train between Lewes and Newhaven the 'guard' asked 4 teenage lads to put their masks on to be told 'we don't need to'.

What would a policeman do ask them nicely and then move on?

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I'm aware of the geography of Australia. I was responding to a comment about Australia ... not Victoria ... and not specifically Melbourne

I was clarifying that Australia has a federal government system and that the human rights violations are happening in a different state to the one in which your daughter resides.

Saying Australia is too vague in this instance. Things might be fine in Sydney but they aren’t in Melbourne.

Yoda

English & European

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Right, keep putting the clips up to suit your agenda. I'm sure a quick google will find similar from any country in the world and not limited to Covid either.

I'm just back from Brighton where on the train between Lewes and Newhaven the 'guard' asked 4 teenage lads to put their masks on to be told 'we don't need to'.

You can bury your head in the sand if you want. There are loads of clips from Oz of police being totally over the top enforcing covid measures. They are in draconian lock down. You can’t go to or leave Victoria. They have barely any deaths.

Arguing about a mask or kicking a guys head in the floor enduring a coma because he’s protesting? Are you comparing?

You can see how the Nazis got away with it when normal people just want to deny it’s happening.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Yes, actually asking people nicely solves a lot of problems.

If they dont comply, give them a fine.

Hell, maybe even handcuff them.

But stomping people in the head is not what the police should be doing. You are right though, it happens all over the world because a lot of police officers apply for the job for the wrong reasons (power hunger and the right to be violent against people).

Sadly, most people will always defend the police whatever they are doing. People love authorities and usually blindly trust them. Just look at the immediate reaction to Hillsborough, dig into the news archives and you'll find that many, many from the media and the general public bought the lies from the police about violent drunk hooligans. A majority of people hate other people and love authorities, tear gas, beating up protesters and whatnot, not understanding that one day that shit is bound to lead to nasty, controlling police states where very few would be happy and even fewer would dare to try to do something about it.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Yes, actually asking people nicely solves a lot of problems.

If they dont comply, give them a fine.

Hell, maybe even handcuff them.

But stomping people in the head is not what the police should be doing. You are right though, it happens all over the world because a lot of police officers apply for the job for the wrong reasons (power hunger and the right to be violent against people).

Sadly, most people will always defend the police whatever they are doing. People love authorities and usually blindly trust them. Just look at the immediate reaction to Hillsborough, dig into the news archives and you'll find that many, many from the media and the general public bought the lies from the police about violent drunk hooligans. A majority of people hate other people and love authorities, tear gas, beating up protesters and whatnot, not understanding that one day that shit is bound to lead to nasty, controlling police states where very few would be happy and even fewer would dare to try to do something about it.

Don't want to derail this thread, but those lies at Hillsborough came from the top in the government at the time to drive an agenda, the police were just the tools (in every sense) that carried out those orders.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Don't want to derail this thread, but those lies at Hillsborough came from the top in the government at the time to drive an agenda, the police were just the tools (in every sense) that carried out those orders.

And millions of people believed that version of events. I remember getting driven to a kids footy match the day after and the parents giving me a lift we’re berating those filthy scousers in the car because they’d read the Sunday tabloids. Blindly believed the papers and police like many many others. People don’t want to think that they are being deceived and believe what they are told.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
And millions of people believed that version of events. I remember getting driven to a kids footy match the day after and the parents giving me a lift we’re berating those filthy scousers in the car because they’d read the Sunday tabloids. Blindly believed the papers and police like many many others. People don’t want to think that they are being deceived and believe what they are told.

Yes, people believe what they read or see, whether it be The Sun, Facebook, Twitter or YouTube, especially if it fits their pre-conceived beliefs, in the Hillsborough case all football fans (at the time) were scum and violent drunks.

Now, it's all about confirmation bias about Covid (which ever way you lean).

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
215D51F7-A535-45FC-A4EF-A02F2D745DB8.png

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Can anyone who knows about this sort of thing confirm or deny this. (I’m talking about what’s being said, needless to say, not who is saying it).

[tweet]1306916494773755910[/tweet]

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Can anyone who knows about this sort of thing confirm or deny this. (I’m talking about what’s being said, needless to say, not who is saying it).

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1306916494773755910?s=20

[tweet]JuliaHB1/status/1306916494773755910?s=20[/tweet]

its misleading and irresponsible. the probability of false positive is a product of a low number of positive infections.
watch this

it is based on assumption we have a general population sample. as most people being tested should have symptoms, the actual probability of false positives will be far lower.

so Hanncock has given correct information. an interpretation of that could suggest its not good as it seems. i reality its best left to professional data scientists to interpret.

Last edited:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
So prominent journalist attempts to cast doubt over the entire testing process. That is hugely irresponsible.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So prominent journalist attempts to cast doubt over the entire testing process. That is hugely irresponsible.

It's Julia. Hugely irresponsible is what she does. Another hate filled shock jock who doesn't care what happens to vulnerable people so long as she gets paid.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The number of false positives is dependant on the specificity of the PCR test, which can be as high as 100%.

I think 99.8% is readily achievable which would only give 200 false positives for every 100,000 people tested who don't have the virus.

You would also think that someone has thought about this before and it has been accounted for; it's not exactly rocket science.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Cant really stand her, but its not just her running with the story is it?

It's her that's been pointed to on NSC and her that's putting that on her Twitter and promoting her radio show on the back of it. Has everyone else made the same statistical maths error that [MENTION=599]beorhthelm[/MENTION] sorted out?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here