Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Had to use the train today first time in a long time.

Some people are just thick.

Personally I don't believe half of what is written and feel the risks are over blown to people but the law is to wear a mask so why cant people do it . Noses out , chins being kept warm , one was even dangling on an ear.

Ok so you aren't bothered but someone next to you may be.

Manners isnt it

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Woohoo! We are starting to come out of second wave lockdown over here.

This thing ain’t over yet, but it is time to learn to live with it. Hopefully a vaccine by the New Year for the vulnerable and health workers. I will be chomping at the bit to get that jab, I so want international travel to resume.

I hope that all of you get through these next few weeks as pain free as possible, and get to spend Christmas with your loved ones.

Roll on 2021!

Hope all goes well

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Obviously not as no evictions are allowed, but I personally know of 3 families that are under no illusions they will be evicted as they are unable to pay their rent.
Crawley has been hit exceptionally hard by this situation, many families rely on the airport for work, low skilled low income jobs, multiple family members all working at the airport and their jobs no longer exist.

Seems Brighton and Hove is in the top 10 hardest hit areas.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
china sent plane loads of people to Europe in January from Wuhan knowing full well they were pretty much the focal point of an unknown but deadly viral event.....the rest is history , they Brits do love a good graph don't they .....???

i would query the nhs being "overrun" as well .....the nightingale facilities remained largely empty....

Actually only 0.1% of Covid-19 infections came directly from China but don't let a fact get in the way of your argument. Having another graph (source)

21994.jpeg

For the 1001 time, the Nightingale hospitals weren't needed because restrictions were put in place.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Actually only 0.1% of Covid-19 infections came directly from China but don't let a fact get in the way of your argument. Having another graph (source)

View attachment 129790

For the 1001 time, the Nightingale hospitals weren't needed because restrictions were put in place.

Unfortunately, there are a growing number of people, certainly on these boards, who are beginning to talk like red top newspapers, stating things as fact, with little or no evidence to back up their argument.

Then when presented with said evidence, they do one of 3 things, ignore, go on the attack with personal stuff or resort to whataboutery!

As you said, don't let facts alter people's beliefs...

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Argus reporting a weekend spike that leaves Brighton teetering on the brink of tier 2.

Whilst as usual I can't read the article it does seem from looking at other sources any spike in cases is centred around coldean and moulsecoomb north which I imagine takes in the university complexes.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Quite staggering in Belgium right now:

Doctors in the Belgian city of Liège have been asked to keep working even if they have coronavirus amid a surge in cases and hospital admissions.

About a quarter of medical staff there are reportedly off sick with Covid-19.

Now 10 hospitals have requested that staff who have tested positive but do not have symptoms keep working.

The head of the Belgian Association of Medical Unions told the BBC they had no choice if they were to prevent the hospital system collapsing within days.

Dr Philippe Devos acknowledged that there was an obvious risk of transferring the virus to patients.

One in three people tested are coming back positive with the virus in the eastern Belgian city. Hospitals are transferring patients elsewhere and cancelling non-urgent surgeries, days after Health Minister Frank Vandenbroucke warned the country was close to a "tsunami" of infections where authorities "no longer control what is happening".​

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54688846

(Waits for a Covid-excuser to pop up and say if infected medics can carry on working then it proves the virus is nothing to worry about.)

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

View attachment 129790

bloody hell...!! there you go again .....covid was brought to Genoa from Wuhan on the 4th Jan 2020 ....its documented. you and your infographs...:rolleyes:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
bloody hell...!! there you go again .....covid was brought to Genoa from Wuhan on the 4th Jan 2020 ....its documented. you and your infographs...:rolleyes:

Why the sudden interest in Italy?

However you haven't even got that correct. There were no cases in Italy until the end of January and they immediately suspended flights from China.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Why the sudden interest in Italy?

However you haven't even got that correct. There were no cases in Italy until the end of January and they immediately suspended flights from China.

There's a lovely flat fish, called the Flounder, which by all accounts is pretty tasty, it can be found on the muddy bottoms of the oceans.

Flounder also means someone in a confused state...

I'm guessing some here fit the bill of the second definition and a bit of the first, floundering around in the muddy depths of half truths and inaccuracies.

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Anyone have any ideas how China is dealing with the coronavirus so incredibly well, compared to most of the world?

I really can't understand how they have had it under control for so long with a population as great as it does.

Compliance and Obedience or Lies ... take your pick

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Anyone have any ideas how China is dealing with the coronavirus so incredibly well, compared to most of the world?

I really can't understand how they have had it under control for so long with a population as great as it does.
A number of contributory reasons. Off the top of my head;

1a) They have been shut to tourism since end of March, even residents (non Chinese citizens) who fled at the beginning of the outbreak have only started to come back recently.

1b) Even if you do qualify for a visa exemption, there are a lot of hurdles you need to jump through, like PCR test, mandatory 14 day quarantine in government hotel, authorisation from the provincial government etc etc.

2) They have efficient Blockchain track and trace apps that work.

3) Mass targeted testing capabilities when outbreaks occur within cities. We're talking about the ability to test over 10m people in less than two weeks, and this is mandatory.

4) They have the most vaccine candidates in later stage trials and these have already been administered to people in health sector and industries that are most at risk.

5) And probably the most important difference to the West, a completely different societal model. No democracy and a by product of this is that everyone is working towards a common goal.

Basically, most of these things would be unacceptable for most Western countries. We know that from this forum, but that's why countries like China and Vietnam are doing pretty well.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thanks, great answer, not one that I was expecting.

Essentially China is doing a great job at controlling the virus with life more or less normal for most.

Very impressive. Shame we're still stuck in this perpetual hell.

:ffsparr: yes, normal if you live in authoritarian country.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Unfortunately, there are a growing number of people, certainly on these boards, who are beginning to talk like red top newspapers, stating things as fact, with little or no evidence to back up their argument.

Then when presented with said evidence, they do one of 3 things, ignore, go on the attack with personal stuff or resort to whataboutery!

As you said, don't let facts alter people's beliefs...

Oh, there's a fourth, which is to post something 'amusing', replete with emojis -- often this one ??? -- and other forms of bantz.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here