Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The "irony curtain"....

Mexico volunteers to pay for accelerated wall completion to prevent US Citizens from entering Mexico.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Whatever happened to the game changing antibody tests which were hailed as being ready with the Roche one 100% accurate?
All gone quiet on that front

Yoda

English & European
Whatever happened to the game changing antibody tests which were hailed as being ready with the Roche one 100% accurate?
All gone quiet on that front

This is exactly why I hate all this talk about antibodies by people that don't really know what they are talking about/looking for.

Firstly. The two types of anti-body they test on are only in your plasma for up to 24 and 50 days anyway so would be completely pointless unless you've recently had it.

Secondly. After that your T Lymphocytes remember the virus and and reproduce the anti bodies if you happen to contract the viral again. So to say immunity will be lost is complete guess work. Studies seem to suggest it's taken at least 5-10 years (possibly more) for this virus to mutate enough to infect humans. Unless that was to suddenly speed up, saying something like in the Guardian report is scare mongering.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This is exactly why I hate all this talk about antibodies by people that don't really know what they are talking about/looking for.

Firstly. The two types of anti-body they test on are only in your plasma for up to 24 and 50 days anyway so would be completely pointless unless you've recently had it.

Secondly. After that your T Lymphocytes remember the virus and and reproduce the anti bodies if you happen to contract the viral again. So to say immunity will be lost is complete guess work. Studies seem to suggest it's taken at least 5-10 years (possibly more) for this virus to mutate enough to infect humans. Unless that was to suddenly speed up, saying something like in the Guardian report is scare mongering.
Thanks for the clarification. Further reading helped me conclude much the same. To be fair, the guardian piece is not on its own, most the papers and BBC are carrying the same story with a similar stance.

Yoda

English & European
Me personally, I would like to see them do a proper study on truly Asymptomatic cases following that report from Korea about a month ago.

They reported from about 250 asymptomatic carriers, the tested about 750 of their closest contacts and not one had contracted the virus.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
[tweet]1283758918427185154[/tweet]

Vallance getting quite serious about the early government response and the advice given.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just watching the Downing Street live briefing. Once again that mantra 'R number remains between 0.7 - 0.9' gets trotted out. Does anybody actually believe that BS that has remained strong and stable and hasn't budged since just about Day One. Do they even bother measuring it? Or do they just trot it out in meaningless fashion same as the Eat 5 A Day dietary advice which has since been admitted to be meaningless. What gives?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
[tweet]1283758918427185154[/tweet]

Vallance getting quite serious about the early government response and the advice given.

and yet testing still controled through NHS/PHE approved sites only. :shrug:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Just watching the Downing Street live briefing. Once again that mantra 'R number remains between 0.7 - 0.9' gets trotted out. Does anybody actually believe that BS that has remained strong and stable and hasn't budged since just about Day One. Do they even bother measuring it? Or do they just trot it out in meaningless fashion same as the Eat 5 A Day dietary advice which has since been admitted to be meaningless. What gives?

I wondered exactly the same it seems to be a line that's trotted out with little or nothing to back it up. Especially as we also hear that the r number is less useful as numbers drop

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...nto-public-health-england-death-data-12030392

So, turns out things 'may' (and I stress MAY) not have been as bad as first feared

sorry to cross the threads, didnt want this in the good new thread.

I hope public inquiry looks properly at the failed handling from PHE, NHS and other health service management. this is basic analysis failure. PHE seems an utter waste of space, thousands of people spending billions on what exactly?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here