Page 1896 of 1905 FirstFirst ... 89613961796184618861893189418951896189718981899 ... LastLast
Results 18,951 to 18,960 of 19050
    A. Virgo, Football Genius

0 Not allowed!
    i wouldnt call it slow, it seems like a uncoordinated mess. some schools have done flu but not ready for covid, others have them together, yet others plan to have them seperate. certainly not the rollout we expected.
    The English know how to make the best of things. Their so-called muddling through is simply skill at dealing with the inevitable.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by nicko31 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Yeah its a bit slow, from my experience a lot will getting done in the next few days as schools are doubling up with the flu jab. So relieved this is happening

Meanwhile today highest case numbers since full easing on July 18, this isn't where we should be now...
      We are giving kids flu jabs ?

Used to be just the over 55s

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by loz View Post
      We are giving kids flu jabs ?

Used to be just the over 55s
      Certainly secondary as nasal spray in many cases...
      There was truth and there was untruth, and if you clung to the truth even against the whole world, you were not mad....George Orwell
      Im The Scatman

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by nicko31 View Post
      Yeah its a bit slow, from my experience a lot will getting done in the next few days as schools are doubling up with the flu jab. So relieved this is happening

Meanwhile today highest case numbers since full easing on July 18, this isn't where we should be now...
      We should be at 300k cases shouldnt we?

0 Not allowed!
      Are the numbers accurate? Are the tests accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      The true measure of any society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members. Mahatma Gandhi
      Bringer of TRUTH JC Footy Genius's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Kinky Gerbils View Post
      I think you will find that if we had listened to all of nicko's doomsday pandemic warnings everyone should have died of covid several months ago ...

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Kinky Gerbils View Post

BREAKING
      UK infection rates at highest level since January - ONS
      Just over one million people in the UK are estimated to have had Covid in the week to 9 October - the highest figure since the end of January, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

This is 1.5% of the population – or one in 65 people – up from one in 70 the previous week.

The ONS survey is based on testing a random sample of people from private households.

So currently nearly 1m people in England have Covid, highest since January and continuing to increase.
      Hands, face, space and fresh air....lets take this next step together safely
      A. Virgo, Football Genius

2 Not allowed!
      as an antedote to the "omg rising cases", yesturday reported 2 cases on ventilation and 28 hosptialisation.

cases do not translate to severe illness anymore, pointless watching them. between vaccine and a softer variant (it isnt said much but it is), we have managed covid.
      The English know how to make the best of things. Their so-called muddling through is simply skill at dealing with the inevitable.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      The true measure of any society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members. Mahatma Gandhi

1 Not allowed!
      There's nothing much new developing in the coronavirus at the world at present, or so it seems. So it might be a good time to sit back and think of long term.

The two options, pending further developments of course, are to

OPTION ONE - keep things as they are now, not many restrictions at all. Let number of cases flow where it may.

OPTION TWO - reintroduce some or all of the measures of lockdown.

Obviously (for people who remember all my earlier posts!) I'm in favour of option one. Yes, people are dying who could be saved by option two, I accept that. And obviously, I might become one of them, though the odds are in my favour, just as they are in everybody's favour. Such is life - people die.

But I have been looking at the numbers. Over 80's are my "speciality" since my mother is in that number. In the 13 weeks covering July 3rd to October 1st, 70,130 people over 80 have died according to death certificate records. Of those, 3,363 had coronavirus as a cause of death, primary or secondary. That's a fraction short of 5%.

So what does that mean for old people? as it stands, in normal pre-coronavirus times, a person over 80 has (on average) a 10% chance of surviving to this time next year. Chilling, isn't it. Time is short! (And 70k dead out of 3m over 80's, in the summer months, shows that stat to be accurate.) So if the death rate is 5% higher because of coronavirus, then the death rate becomes 10.5% chance of dying.

So here's the issue. Under option 1, the old person has a 10.5% chance of dying because coronavirus is rampant and they might catch it and might die of it. But, if they retreat to their homes, they give up football and theatre and eating out and meeting friends and perhaps even give up meeting their children and grandchildren, they can reduce their chance of dying from 10.5% to 10%. Would they take the offer? Not a chance. Or very little chance, anyway.

If covid restrictions was a short term option, just temporary and the problem will be solved, then we could go for it. But it isn't. One thing we have certainly learned over the last 19 months is that we can't make this go away by lockdown. All we can do with lockdown is marginally improve our chances of survival, while giving up our chances of fully enjoying the life that we have - a life, remember, that still has a significant chance of ending this year. The gains from restrictions, as things are at present, are too small to be worth it.