Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ever been to a pub or restaurant, got a table and been told you can't order food for 45 minutes because the kitchen has a backlog?

The pub - the test centre
The food - a test
The kitchen - labs that process tests

Regardless, is there even a problem getting tests currently? There clearly was a couple of weeks ago, but I've not heard it mentioned on the news for a while. On the government stats dashboard it certainly looks as though testing capacity has increased throughout October. I think there was a goal of being able to process 500k tests/day by the end of this month.

good analogy. the test processing has always been the problem. about 30sec to take a swab, hours for the PCR process.

its notable in the video there are even stations in Hastings and Eastbourne. earlier in the year there were too few sites, relying on regional rather than town or district level facilities.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I know someone has linked to this fella before on Twitter, but his work is amazing - @rpl131

This is something I haven't seen before, a break down of positive tests, by age, this for Brighton and Hove (other areas are available) - very interesting!

Can anyone spot when schools and universities went back...?

brighton and hove.png

Yoda

English & European
I think it's coming from the same place, but they've enhanced the dataset recently.

Yeah, just found it my self. The data is downloadable in csv format but you'd have to extract and put into your own format etc for the graphs. I was hoping it was preloaded so you could instantly get the graphs without having to do too much work. :( :lolol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not sure how any rational person can actually deny the EXISTENCE of Covid. Most of us know an NHS worker - just need to ask them about their experiences with it, unless you believe they're all part of a grand conspiracy as well.

That video with the testing centres empty - I would say that is a failing of the government if anything. We should be doing millions of tests a week like the Chinese do.

according to Statista numbers, looks like we're doing more tests per population than anyone.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not sure how any rational person can actually deny the EXISTENCE of Covid. Most of us know an NHS worker - just need to ask them about their experiences with it, unless you believe they're all part of a grand conspiracy as well.

That video with the testing centres empty - I would say that is a failing of the government if anything. We should be doing millions of tests a week like the Chinese do.

Well, you say that but that's not what a screen grab of Albion Dan's post would indicate. As much as he's accepted the challenge I gave him on it, really it's a bit too late. What it shows is the name "UK CONvid Testing Centres" (my emphasis), a plug for the channel / account @MinistryDissent with a strapline added of "fishy fishy". People will intepret that in a number of different ways and the content will remain accessible.

Let's take the fictional example of a car advert. Let's say that the car company may just have been exaggerating a tiny bit the ecological credentials of a new model. Despite having to put the actual figures in very small text they do this and remove it from the final few frames of the TV ad. A screen grab is then made of the final frame in which the car is pictured with a green background, surrounded by trees and driven by a vegan looking type who we've been introduced to in the full ad. The Channel (and here I'm absolutely not suggesting that VW would change data for commercial purposes, they are merely an example here because they are short and snappy to type) GreenVW is shown in the top left hand corner. The ad is also distibuted on social media by a new @EcoCar account as well as the main one. Finally, a screen grab of exactly that is posted on here by a user with the repeated word line "environmental".

Three weeks later after a countering post on here and, back in the real world, very many complaints to the ASA by environmentalists the ad is withdrawn and the small print forcibly enhanced. Bit late then, though, isn't it?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I seem to recall not many weeks ago several of our more prolific "it's nothing!" posters on here scoffing at whichever scientific advisor had said we'd be back at 200 deaths a day. Not so funny now, is it?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Well, you say that but that's not what a screen grab of Albion Dan's post would indicate. As much as he's accepted the challenge I gave him on it, really it's a bit too late. What it shows is the name "UK CONvid Testing Centres" (my emphasis), a plug for the channel / account @MinistryDissent with a strapline added of "fishy fishy". People will intepret that in a number of different ways and the content will remain accessible.

Let's take the fictional example of a car advert. Let's say that the car company may just have been exaggerating a tiny bit the ecological credentials of a new model. Despite having to put the actual figures in very small text they do this and remove it from the final few frames of the TV ad. A screen grab is then made of the final frame in which the car is pictured with a green background, surrounded by trees and driven by a vegan looking type who we've been introduced to in the full ad. The Channel (and here I'm absolutely not suggesting that VW would change data for commercial purposes, they are merely an example here because they are short and snappy to type) GreenVW is shown in the top left hand corner. The ad is also distibuted on social media by a new @EcoCar account as well as the main one. Finally, a screen grab of exactly that is posted on here by a user with the repeated word line "environmental".

Three weeks later after a countering post on here and, back in the real world, very many complaints to the ASA by environmentalists the ad is withdrawn and the small print forcibly enhanced. Bit late then, though, isn't it?

In short, if you throw enough shit, some sticks!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I think the social dilemma on Netflix was right, fake news will be the end of us. Civil war is on it's way.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I seem to recall not many weeks ago several of our more prolific "it's nothing!" posters on here scoffing at whichever scientific advisor had said we'd be back at 200 deaths a day. Not so funny now, is it?

Genuinely curious. Could you link to the posts where people found it "funny". You sound pretty convinced they did.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Genuinely curious. Could you link to the posts where people found it "funny". You sound pretty convinced they did.

I'm not sure A1X is saying anyone said it's funny, but I do recall many posts on here from most of the usual suspects, deriding the graphs and language used by Whitty and Vallance, seemingly saying they were making it up...

Those very posters are now strangely quiet about the numbers and appear to have moved on to conspiracy theories from Facebook and YouTube instead...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not sure A1X is saying anyone said it's funny, but I do recall many posts on here from most of the usual suspects, deriding the graphs and language used by Whitty and Vallance, seemingly saying they were making it up...

Those very posters are now strangely quiet about the numbers and appear to have moved on to conspiracy theories from Facebook and YouTube instead...

That's pretty much it, yes.

Scroll back through this thread to 21st September - that's when Vallance and Whitty did their thing - and you can see the disdain from the usual suspects for the warnings they were giving us.

I really don't understand those that approach all of this with such a cynical "what are they trying to get over on us?" type of mindset.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Others have taken it on, I meant to say something like "far-fetched" but for whatever reason didn't

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's pretty much it, yes.

Scroll back through this thread to 21st September - that's when Vallance and Whitty did their thing - and you can see the disdain from the usual suspects for the warnings they were giving us.

I really don't understand those that approach all of this with such a cynical "what are they trying to get over on us?" type of mindset.

Covered brilliantly on James O’Brien’s LBC shown this morning. Personal attacks from the nation’s thick/FB easily influenced, began on Vallence and Whitty on 21 September when they warned of a second wave and quantified it with the potential for 200 daily deaths by mid November. That’s their field, they’re experts. The bizarre attacks include some sort of conspiracy theory that Whiity’s secret agenda is to control us. Why? .... no one can give a coherent explanation that’s not a pure fantasy.

Scroll forward just a few weeks and yesterday (using a 7 day rolling average to smooth out weekends), we hit 200.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Covered brilliantly on James O’Brien’s LBC shown this morning. Personal attacks from the nation’s thick/FB easily influenced, began on Vallence and Whitty on 21 September when they warned of a second wave and quantified it with the potential for 200 daily deaths by mid November. That’s their field, they’re experts. The bizarre attacks include some sort of conspiracy theory that Whiity’s secret agenda is to control us. Why? .... no one can give a coherent explanation that’s not a pure fantasy.

Scroll forward just a few weeks and yesterday (using a 7 day rolling average to smooth out weekends), we hit 200.

I know, it's weird isn't it, it's almost as if the scientists know what they are talking about - as opposed to the hordes of keyboard warriors who just like to see how many Likes and Shares they get...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I know, it's weird isn't it, it's almost as if the scientists know what they are talking about - as opposed to the hordes of keyboard warriors who just like to see how many Likes and Shares they get...

Disgraceful, crank theories, idolising lying loons such as Icke, whilst disparaging people who serve to save lives.

I find myself laughing and smiling at the weird musings of conspiracy liars. “Theorists” sounds too grand.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One month “circuit breaker” semi-lockdown for us over the whole of November. Hopefully it will sort things out in time for Xmas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here