Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] is calling it about right this evening. There's not really any positive or negative at the moment. You can't compare Europe with SA. We just have to be sensible while waiting for this to play out and see how Omricon does in a vaccinated population.

If only someone had said that a week or so ago.

South Africa also has a younger demographic, largely unvaxxed, so observations there may not translate to other countries, in either good or bad ways.

Oh.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Get vaccinated, take precautions, wear your mask, stay away from crowded places if you’re vulnerable. Beyond that? Keep calm and carry on.
I think some people are having trouble leaving Covid restrictions behind. Some have seen life at a slower pace and don’t want to go back to normal life.
New Covid scares sell papers and keep the lights on.
Take a step back from the news and the analysis and give yourselves a break from the scaremongering.

I notice that the media is going beyond scary headlines and making their supporting graphics all the more menacing. This is from an Onicron article on The Guardian today - I mean Christ, this doesn’t look like something you want a couple of billion of inside you, does it?

3-F54870-A-412-C-47-A3-AACF-25331623428-E.jpg

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I notice that the media is going beyond scary headlines and making their supporting graphics all the more menacing. This is from an Onicron article on The Guardian today - I mean Christ, this doesn’t look like something you want a couple of billion of inside you, does it?

View attachment 142575

Pah, Boots used to have those things all over their ceilings. Nothing to worry about.

[tweet]1132212719363547136[/tweet]

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Its a sad world when you have to codify a source of scientific information as a " Non-Politicised Scientist" .... thank you Donald Trump for the shit that you have fomented.
Indeed. Surely 99.9%+ of scientists are "Non-Politicised" ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Indeed. Surely 99.9%+ of scientists are "Non-Politicised" ?

even if there where only a 0.1% overtly politicial, thats hundreds online, with a open platfrom of twitter and other social media to push their cause. as it is they often have views to push, thesis to defend, funding to attract, less objective than we and they would like.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Covid-centrist and mathematician James Ward has left the fence and worked some numbers on what Omicron could mean for us here in the UK. It's a long thread, but maybe worth a read.

[tweet]1467628403553615885[/tweet]

His mid-range scenario broadly echoes my fear that some pretty extensive restrictions may be required not too far from now. I wouldn't be surprised if we're not able to attend Albion games as we get towards the end of January, for example, although Omicron spread could also decimate PL squads with infection causing games to be postponed.

Let's hope, as he says, "The reality could be a lot better than I’m suggesting here"

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
read something over weekend, not been able to verify properly, so treating as adecdotal but interesting. most SA admissions recorded with Covid are not being admitted for covid, they are arriving for other reasons, being tested and found positive.

i have seen that current ICU or ventilated numbers are half what they were a month ago.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I admit I know little about scientists work.

Aren’t they supposed to disclose opinion from their scientific findings?

How do you mean? Scientific findings are inherently objective (at least in the biomedical field), so there is no opinion to be gleaned from scientific data. The data are what they are. Any author worth their salt would not go beyond the limits of what the data tell them, when writing a publication.

If you mean disclose personal/competing/financial interests, in theory yes - at least for most reputable journals.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
read something over weekend, not been able to verify properly, so treating as adecdotal but interesting. most SA admissions recorded with Covid are not being admitted for covid, they are arriving for other reasons, being tested and found positive.

i have seen that current ICU or ventilated numbers are half what they were a month ago.

It was mentioned in a subsequent tweet from this post by [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] a few days ago.

https://www.northstandchat.com/show...ion-Thread&p=10087305&viewfull=1#post10087305

76% of hospitalisations are for other conditions and find out they have covid on admission to hospital.

[tweet]1467172022895747074[/tweet]

Yoda

English & European

Covered in the video from Dr John Campbell in my previous post. Only about 15% of all in-patients with covid are requiring any kind of oxygen treatment and not even all of them are due to covid but the condition they are originally admitted with.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Over 51k cases is huge for a Monday, really seems to be taking off again. Only hope is it does end up being milder than Delta otherwise we're going to be in a while heap of trouble come January after all the Xmas mixing.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Over 51k cases is huge for a Monday, really seems to be taking off again. Only hope is it does end up being milder than Delta otherwise we're going to be in a while heap of trouble come January after all the Xmas mixing.

Yes, certainly bigger than usual new cases for a Monday but someone will come along and say " because of the omichron variant more people are aware and are testing for it, that's why we are finding so many new cases "...it's not looking good for crimbo this year, our works do was postponed but is now on again on 18th of Dec providing ... we pass a lateral flow test on three consecutive days beforehand ! I wasn't going anyway as the venue was not my cup of tea and we would be mixing with two other separate groups of party goers on the same night...:ffsparr:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yes, certainly bigger than usual new cases for a Monday but someone will come along and say " because of the omichron variant more people are aware and are testing for it, that's why we are finding so many new cases "...it's not looking good for crimbo this year, our works do was postponed but is now on again on 18th of Dec providing ... we pass a lateral flow test on three consecutive days beforehand ! I wasn't going anyway as the venue was not my cup of tea and we would be mixing with two other separate groups of party goers on the same night...:ffsparr:

And they would of course be correct

UK percent of positive cases is still roughly the same - under 5 percent whilst the tests have increased to well over 1.1 million a day.

Germany is on 22 percent - seems not testing much hasn’t worked for them, those low numbers reported in the summer don’t look great now.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
And they would of course be correct

UK percent of positive cases is still roughly the same - under 5 percent whilst the tests have increased to well over 1.1 million a day.

Germany is on 22 percent - seems not testing much hasn’t worked for them, those low numbers reported in the summer don’t look great now.

Doubt the compulsive doomers are going to care about this.

Getting pretty sick of people in social media constantly wanting to drag people into their own hysteria when there is currently no or little reason. Hundreds of thousands of people crying wolf every day is also unlikely to help when or if that wolf comes.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Doubt the compulsive doomers are going to care about this.

Getting pretty sick of people in social media constantly wanting to drag people into their own hysteria when there is currently no or little reason. Hundreds of thousands of people crying wolf every day is also unlikely to help when or if that wolf comes.

This could all change

Some of the misreporting Is putting people of getting vaccinated and boosted and coming over as anti vax

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

:wave:
saved me the bother. the test rate went up 11% in the last week, we're getting very good at it. i'll also make the point again we should look at hospitalisation and deaths.

interesting to look at case v deaths ratio across countries, we're twice the level of Netherlands and half the level of Spain (on the official numbers). does that mean its twice/half as deadly in the UK?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

You're in control of who you follow, read and listen to on social media, mainstream media and pretty much everywhere else.

I don't see or read anything that I'd categorise in the way you are describing there. Most of my Covid reading comes from a carefully-curated list of epidemiologists, virologists, public healthcare professionals, statisticians, mathematicians and the like. They come from a broad spectrum of backgrounds. The key thing is I read what they have to say, directly, and not as interpreted, spun or cherry-picked by a media organisation with an agenda to push.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here