Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Laws/rules fatigue.

The vast majority of the public played the game, were socially responsible. Now living their lives again.

Pretty easy to see why people won’t follow rules again as we are now seeing the complete carnage lockdowns and restrictions have caused.

No government will be dumb enough to do it again.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Think the days of mask wearing are over.

Too much apathy.

If the government were to ever shut things down again, it would come back and the majority would obey. But the minority would be sizeabable I’m sure, not sure why. It’s just about preventing spread and if you can’t go out and do anything then that’s likely to make a bigger difference I guess. I’m certain we haven’t seen the last of lockdowns. Humanity is messing with nature like never before and migration off the scale. Can now fly none stop to Australia, you don’t even need to take a break in Singapore to pass germs onto them! ;)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I should have also added that it seems the hospital themselves feel it’s more than a coincidence, as they have now restricted visiting to between 5 & 7pm of an evening, in I presume an attempt to keep all but the determined visitor away!

The feedback I have on why Worthing Hospital removed the mask wearing rule, is that the bosses/consultants jointly deemed the risks (of severe illness) to now be negligible and that staff absences were at low and acceptable levels.

But they're all well aware that masks may return should a new wave adversely affect those two variables.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The feedback I have on why Worthing Hospital removed the mask wearing rule, is that the bosses/consultants jointly deemed the risks (of severe illness) to now be negligible and that staff absences were at low and acceptable levels.

But they're all well aware that masks may return should a new wave adversely affect those two variables.

I’m still a little confused. Is that the risk to staff that is negligible?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m still a little confused. Is that the risk to staff that is negligible?

That would be to all categories of people in or visiting hospitals, shirley? Consultants/CEO's wouldn't cavalierly deem let's abandon masks if the staff are safe, but patients are at risk of severe illness/death FROM (not with) Covid. I'd hope.

You and I don't work for the NHS, so it's hard to say exactly.

Pharmacists and GP surgeries around here similarly dropped the masks rule a while back now.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
That would be to all categories of people in or visiting hospitals, shirley? Consultants/CEO's wouldn't cavalierly deem let's abandon masks if the staff are safe, but patients are at risk of severe illness/death FROM (not with) Covid. I'd hope.

You and I don't work for the NHS, so it's hard to say exactly.

Pharmacists and GP surgeries around here similarly dropped the masks rule a while back now.

That is a little surprising, as there are certainly departments, like Oncology, where the risk clearly isn't negligible. Maybe those departments have different rules!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Mrs.W has never worked in Oncology, I wouldn't have a clue about the latest mask and visitation rules in those parts. Presumably tighter?

OK, thank you that gives a bit more clarity if different departments offer different rules.

My youngest's SLT/OT have said while they no longer have to wear masks they will at parental request, which seems eminently sensible when working with vulnerable children.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Is the time right to mandate mask wearing again??

I’ve never stopped wearing a mask on public transport and in shops. I now also wear one during face-to-face meetings at work and would if I was going to the cinema, theatre, etc. However, I have chosen to restrict my social activities or meet outside wherever possible during these weeks of very high levels of infection. Many will not be able to restrict their contacts, so a well-fitting, high-quality mask (FFP2/FFP3) is even more important to try to reduce their chance of catching Covid or of spreading it.”

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012

I’ve never stopped wearing a mask on public transport and in shops. I now also wear one during face-to-face meetings at work and would if I was going to the cinema, theatre, etc. However, I have chosen to restrict my social activities or meet outside wherever possible during these weeks of very high levels of infection. Many will not be able to restrict their contacts, so a well-fitting, high-quality mask (FFP2/FFP3) is even more important to try to reduce their chance of catching Covid or of spreading it.”

No. Mask wearing days are done.

If people want to wear them, good for them.

Just dispose of them properly please.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I’ve done none of that and currently have no intention too.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

sorry mate but are you compromised ..?..if you are then carry on but if you're not get that mask off and get the bug and get some immunity , it's the only way we get out of this BS scenario we have been put in.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Firstly this would require a functioning government to prepare the necessary legislation.

Putting that aside if any mask mandate, or any other restriction, is now put in place then it really has to stay forever because the virus isn't going anywhere. I was at a concert a few weeks back and got pinged a few days later so say someone near me had tested positive. I didn't get it but the guy standing next to me did. I might have been lucky but the on ly difference between us was I had previously had it and he hadn't.

Don't get me wrong, compromised people should be helped as much as possible but we are all going to have to catch it a couple of times now,

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
https://www.theweek.co.uk/news/uk-news/957270/non-covid-excess-deaths-why-are-they-on-the-rise

Non-Covid excess deaths: why are they rising?
Experts call for probe as mortality rates in England and Wales climb despite drop in coronavirus deaths

Latest figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show that excess deaths – the total number of deaths above the average count for a given period – reached 1,540 in the week ending 24 June. A total of 10,836 deaths were registered in England and Wales, a 16.6% increase on the five-year average.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m pretty sure he’s trolling now.

He never does anything but post spoofs. The morbidly obese covid-fearing lump of lard is just another comedy vehicle.

Except it isn't funny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here