Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You're not comparing apples with apples though, 38 people were ill enough to be admitted into hospital during a lockdown where people were told to only leave their homes for the most essential reasons. This summer there is likely to be much more social mixing, and much more virus circulating mean all of these vaccinated and all of the unvaccinated people will be far more likely to come into contact with the virus so sadly that figure will shoot up.

...and you're missing the point as yet again you seek to find any hint of doom and gloom in all things Covid-related. The data is in relation to vaccinated people, and the EXTREMELY SUCCESSFUL results shown from just a single vaccination on preventing serious illness and death. We already know the young and otherwise not vulnerable are highly unlikely to get seriously ill, and the data (which will be fully exposed later this week - possibly today) is going to show that virtually everyone who has been vaccinated (with even a single jab) is unlikely to go into hospital, let alone die.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
...and you're missing the point as yet again you seek to find any hint of doom and gloom in all things Covid-related. The data is in relation to vaccinated people, and the EXTREMELY SUCCESSFUL results shown from just a single vaccination on preventing serious illness and death. We already know the young and otherwise not vulnerable are highly unlikely to get seriously ill, and the data (which will be fully exposed later this week - possibly today) is going to show that virtually everyone who has been vaccinated (with even a single jab) is unlikely to go into hospital, let alone die.

It's not doom and gloom, it's realism. There is much to be cautiously optimistic about currently, and I hope we continue to cautiously ease ourselves back to something approaching normality but we must be very cautious, many of the leading member of SAGE who know much more about this than you are I are saying it is almost certain we will gwet a third wave of Covid at some point this year and overall the pandemic is growing and not shrinking worldwide. Many people are acting as though we are nearly out of the woods and if they think that their actions will probably follow by not adhering to the rules. If the third wave were to begin imminently we could still be in a lot of trouble.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
It's not doom and gloom, it's realism. There is much to be cautiously optimistic about currently, and I hope we continue to cautiously ease ourselves back to something approaching normality but we must be very cautious, many of the leading member of SAGE who know much more about this than you are I are saying it is almost certain we will gwet a third wave of Covid at some point this year and overall the pandemic is growing and not shrinking worldwide. Many people are acting as though we are nearly out of the woods and if they think that their actions will probably follow by not adhering to the rules. If the third wave were to begin imminently we could still be in a lot of trouble.

Oh yes l, because SAGE and their offshoots have been so accurate throughout haven't they?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

It's not realism at all, you find every negative story to post on here, even adding text to the story that wasn't in the original report so it fits your narrative further. You were adamant that schools returning would see a surge in cases and that they shouldn't go back until after Easter, however there has been no surge. Deaths are nearly a 10th of what they were when schools returned and infection rates are over 50% lower, but you wont acknowledge that or any other positive covid story which makes people question every negative post you make.

Yes we aren't out of the woods yet and people should be cautious still but there is a huge difference between cautious and outright pessimism.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

We will 100% get a 3rd wave in the Autumn/Winter. We will get waves every year from now on and thousands will die every year, get used to it. Covid is not going away, we need to live with it and manage it like flu.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's not doom and gloom, it's realism.

its doom. to get the death rate you refer to earlier, 30-100k in the rest of the year, would be improbable with vaccinations and residual behavioural change. 10k attributed to Covid would be unlikely. cases will continue but as we gain immunity, from exposure or vaccines, the risks of hospitalisation and death dramatically reduce. it becomes another everyday disease like pneumonia or influenza.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
its doom. to get the death rate you refer to earlier, 30-100k in the rest of the year, would be improbable with vaccinations and residual behavioural change. 10k attributed to Covid would be unlikely. cases will continue but as we gain immunity, from exposure or vaccines, the risks of hospitalisation and death dramatically reduce. it becomes another everyday disease like pneumonia or influenza.

I hope you are right but the situation is worsening around the world. I think the 30k to 100k deaths is what has been forecasted over the next 12 months, people who know much more about this than you or I have come up with these forecasts and that we are almost certain to suffer from a third wave in the coming months as society opens up.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Things getting horribly bad in India.

TBF it's been bad a while, just getting uber bad now.

My S-i-L on Track and Trace and has been perma calling people arriving off flights from India for 3-4 weeks now and reckons she has had virtually zero success in getting the message across

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
You're not comparing apples with apples though, 38 people were ill enough to be admitted into hospital during a lockdown where people were told to only leave their homes for the most essential reasons. This summer there is likely to be much more social mixing, and much more virus circulating mean all of these vaccinated and all of the unvaccinated people will be far more likely to come into contact with the virus so sadly that figure will shoot up.
The point you're missing is the vaccination effect. For the last couple of months, we have been in effect split into two roughly equal sized groups.

Group 1, the people who have had at least one vaccination, almost entirely made up of the old, the ill, the vulnerable, and those who are exposed to coronavirus daily.
Group 2,the unvaccinated, made up of the young, the fit, the healthy. and the children.

Both groups have been subject to the same lockdown. And while group 2 even now has a couple of hundred of its members going into hospital every day, group 1 (the ones likely to become ill) have been going into hospital at the rate of two or three a week. That is the effect that vaccination (even partial vaccination) has.

(Actually it was 32 vaccinated people gone to hospital, not 38. I misremembered the number.)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Wrong. 38 people out of about 25 million who had been (single-dose) vaccinated during the timescale of the study got seriously ill. That is incredibly low given that they were the most vulnerable.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

people haven't been follwing the rules as strictly for weeks.

Pubs open for 2 weeks , schools been open for weeks , meeting outside open for weeks. All data continues to drop.

Even work places now calling people back en mass.

It's over and roll on summer / amex

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The point you're missing is the vaccination effect. For the last couple of months, we have been in effect split into two roughly equal sized groups.

Group 1, the people who have had at least one vaccination, almost entirely made up of the old, the ill, the vulnerable, and those who are exposed to coronavirus daily.
Group 2,the unvaccinated, made up of the young, the fit, the healthy. and the children.

Both groups have been subject to the same lockdown. And while group 2 even now has a couple of hundred of its members going into hospital every day, group 1 (the ones likely to become ill) have been going into hospital at the rate of two or three a week. That is the effect that vaccination (even partial vaccination) has.

(Actually it was 32 vaccinated people gone to hospital, not 38. I misremembered the number.)

hopefully he will move on to blind panic and negativity around other diseases and illnesses that are killing more. Its all looking pretty hollow now and its dangerous talk as its actually worse for people to continue to push this . People re vaccinated. Go by the stats. Actually feel sorry for those still gripped by fear. Guess peoples brains have been damaged and no idea how we reverse that damage

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

Pubs open for 2 weeks , schools been open for weeks , meeting outside open for weeks. All data continues to drop.

Indeed. The telegraph reporting it as endemic now. Feeling pretty optimistic

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

I just hope most other people don't share this attitude otherwise we could very quickly find ourselves in a very bad place again, it is far from over. It is however widely accepted that with warmer weather and outdooors activities the risk is very low, so we can safely enjoy outdoor activities over the coming months.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I just hope most other people don't share this attitude otherwise we could very quickly find ourselves in a very bad place again, it is far from over. It is however widely accepted that with warmer weather and outdooors activities the risk is very low, so we can safely enjoy outdoor activities over the coming months.

Could you just, for clarity, explain who (ie what group of people) are going to end up dying in the numbers your predict in the coming ‘third wave’ please ? It’s not the old and/or vulnerable and the vaccinated (we already know the vaccine is incredibly effective), it’s not the young and fit (we know the % of that group ending up seriously ill is tiny) and likewise it’s not children who are almost universally unaffected.

So who is it ?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Could you just, for clarity, explain who (ie what group of people) are going to end up dying in the numbers your predict in the coming ‘third wave’ please ? It’s not the old and/or vulnerable and the vaccinated (we already know the vaccine is incredibly effective), it’s not the young and fit (we know the % of that group ending up seriously ill is tiny) and likewise it’s not children who are almost universally unaffected.

So who is it ?

It is predominantly the old and the vulnerable still because there are still a significant amount of people who for health or personal reasons have still not been vaccinated, we know that 95% of groups 1-9 priority were vaccinated but that still leaves 1.5m people who are very vulnerable and if on 21st June all measures are dropped the covid virus will quickly spread again, and many chains which will not be broken by social distancing and other mwearues will end with a vulnerable person becoming infected. It will also at that point infect many young people, the vast majority of which will be unaffected but I believe that in Brazil for example half of the people in hospital are under 40, so whilst it will be a very small percentage of the people who become ill because of the number of unvaccinated people under 40 in thew UK it only takes a relatively small number percentage wise to again put extreme pressure on the NHS. Very few of these people will eventually die but many may suffer from long covid and will again take up a lot of resource for the NHS when they are in hospital.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It is predominantly the old and the vulnerable still because there are still a significant amount of people who for health or personal reasons have still not been vaccinated, we know that 95% of groups 1-9 priority were vaccinated but that still leaves 1.5m people who are very vulnerable and if on 21st June all measures are dropped the covid virus will quickly spread again, and many chains which will not be broken by social distancing and other mwearues will end with a vulnerable person becoming infected. It will also at that point infect many young people, the vast majority of which will be unaffected but I believe that in Brazil for example half of the people in hospital are under 40, so whilst it will be a very small percentage of the people who become ill because of the number of unvaccinated people under 40 in thew UK it only takes a relatively small number percentage wise to again put extreme pressure on the NHS. Very few of these people will eventually die but many may suffer from long covid and will again take up a lot of resource for the NHS when they are in hospital.

No they are all going to die eventually

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here