Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Aren't many stations outside though? I'm not sure I'd wear a mask on West Worthing station when it's completely open and plenty of space for the few people who use it.

I'd put my mask on for getting on the train itself though.

It's a fair point although many major stations are predominantly indoors barring the actual platforms (would assume this is where most of the data has been collected too) and I guess ensuring compliance within the station would mane higher compliance on the trains themselves. A drop from 80% to 20% though in a matter of a few months is shocking and shows the me first selfish attitude of many people when it's others around them they are predominantly protecting.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Mask-wearing seems largely done for, at least at the moment. I'm in a garden centre now, sign on entry 'requests' use but maybe 20% wearing them wandering around indoors. At the cricket on Saturday, barely saw one in a crowd of 20,000+ and the Amex on Sunday wasn't much better. At the airports on Friday and on the plane it was pretty much 100% compliance though - because it was mandatory.

Essentially the British attitude of 'I'll do what I have to, but I'll bloody well do what I want otherwise' is in full swing.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Aren't many stations outside though? I'm not sure I'd wear a mask on West Worthing station when it's completely open and plenty of space for the few people who use it.

I'd put my mask on for getting on the train itself though.

This. I wear my mask on the train

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
:shrug:

Mask wearing hasn't been important for some time now.

I'd be very surprised if it didn't become important again during the winter months, but who knows, the last couple of months have been very reassurring.

Important in what sense ? I’m happy to continue to wear one in enclosed/confined spaces if it makes others feel safer (even if it’s scientifically dubious). I think it’s inconsiderate not to as it’s a minor inconvenience.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Important in regards to public health.

I don't think anyone should wear masks anymore, unless it is for their own wellbeing, or if they are unwell themselves.

It certainly isn't inconsiderate not to. Masks need to be phased out to help people to get used to normality again.

They are being phased out…that doesn’t mean an immediate stop in all settings. I personally think it’s inconsiderate at the moment not to wear one when requested.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
They are being phased out…that doesn’t mean an immediate stop in all settings. I personally think it’s inconsiderate at the moment not to wear one when requested.

Yep, if you are requested to wear one, i.e., at The Amex, in the supermarket, on public transport and you elect not to wear one for no good reason, then yes, you are inconsiderate...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This was all largely avoidable. Hopefully the vaccine will help but we should have started back in July.

Capture.PNG

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Yep, if you are requested to wear one, i.e., at The Amex, in the supermarket, on public transport and you elect not to wear one for no good reason, then yes, you are inconsiderate...

Problem is without the legal mandate people aren't doing it. I estimate 5% of people were wearing masks in the concourse yesterday evening (although quite a few of them would probably point out they were eating or drinking)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This was all largely avoidable. Hopefully the vaccine will help but we should have started back in July.

View attachment 140649

So the risk of Covid v the vaccine is about the same according to the JVCI and reports show immunisation via infection seems to be stronger than the jab

Why is it the Gov fault for following the guidance on vaccinating kids? I imagine you would have screamed murder if something happened to a few children had they overruled it?

There is still the option of bubbles/Contact isolation for kids in schools

The at risk kids started getting jabs weeks ago.

She was pushing to go back to step 2 on July 19th.

Given everyone is going to get Covid at some point or another one age group is always going to have more infections than others.

Last edited:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
So the risk of Covid v the vaccine is about the same according to the JVCI and reports show immunisation via infection seems to be stronger than the jab

Why is it the Gov fault for following the guidance on vaccinating kids? I imagine you would have screamed murder if something happened to a few children had the overruled it?

Given everyone is going to get Covid at some point or another one age group is always going to have more infections than others.

I don't think anyone has denied immunisation from infection is strong than that from vaccination (although I would be interested to find out about how long it lasts for) but infection also carries the overhead of other people getting infected and when enough of them do people start getting hospitalised and dying.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Why is it the Gov fault for following the guidance on vaccinating kids? I imagine you would have screamed murder if something happened to a few children had the overruled it?

My kids school was closed for the last week in July as Covid was out of control, 2 weeks in and they're falling like flies again, also had 2 Sunday football matches cancelled as opposition teams could not field the players

Anyway vax'ing start week after next, just feels like kids have been the lowest priority. Other countries like Ireland, France, Germany, USA etc got on with it over the summer, we dithered

I would have like have seen mitigations in place till the kids were vax'd as a minimum, nothing short of wreckless...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I don't think anyone has denied immunisation from infection is strong than that from vaccination (although I would be interested to find out about how long it lasts for) but infection also carries the overhead of other people getting infected and when enough of them do people start getting hospitalised and dying.

People are denying it

Vaccine doesn’t stop (decreases - and not an anti vax stance) spread - people are going to catch covid forever more

People that need to be protected are protected and those that have refused the vaccine are idiots

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Problem is without the legal mandate people aren't doing it. I estimate 5% of people were wearing masks in the concourse yesterday evening (although quite a few of them would probably point out they were eating or drinking)

The trick within Ibiza Airport this summer, by both Spanish and German tourists, was to always carry a bottle of drink around with them.

They interpreted this as a free pass to break Spanish mask-wearing laws, simply never wearing one.

Folk are so clever.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Anyone over 50 who refuses the vaccine is an idiot.

Any healthy young person who refuses the vaccine is merely making a personal choice.

Fortunately the majority of people listen to the actual experts as opposed to faux-experts on the internet.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Anyone over 50 who refuses the vaccine is an idiot.

Any healthy young person who refuses the vaccine is merely making a personal choice.

What about some aged 40 carries a bit of weight who likes booze and a few fags? Vax or not to vax?

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
You can use Google to find 'evidence' for or against practically any subject if you want to. Similarly, if you want to, you can find through Google the acedemic studies which do support the link between nicotine and covid prevention.

I'm really not passionate enough about this particular subtopic to argue any more. Believe what you like. But there is clearly sufficient evidence which has resulted in ongoing clinical trials.

Didn’t the French find that smokers were less likely to get Covid? I seem to remember

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
You can use Google to find 'evidence' for or against practically any subject if you want to. Similarly, if you want to, you can find through Google the acedemic studies which do support the link between nicotine and covid prevention.

I'm really not passionate enough about this particular subtopic to argue any more. Believe what you like. But there is clearly sufficient evidence which has resulted in ongoing clinical trials.

Didn’t the French find that smokers were less likely to get Covid? I seem to remember

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

You’re not passionate about this, but were quite happy to throw this titbit into the conversation then walk away...

No there isn’t “evidence”, evidence proves something. Several inconclusive, flawed data trials have been run, which pointed towards a link but have since had a large shadow of doubt cast over them!

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

Even if true, which there is no proof it is, that’s a great trade off, don’t catch Covid get cancer instead - and people baulk at the idea of taking the vaccine...!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here