Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And a government that can get joined up thinking and provide accurate figures so the news agencies you seem to blame wouldn't be playing a guessing game!

Oh and when you say "limit their output" do you mean censorship? Are you Donald Trump or Dominic Cummings in disguise?

it would certainly help having consistent numbers from government and the many departments, not 3-6 sources (PHE, NHS England, ONS, Scottish, Welsh, NI health). ONS is the one to trust but delayed, others are manipulated or fudged.

and yes frankly censorship might be warranted in a case of a public health crisis. a great deal of "news" is nothing of the sort, its speculation and fear mongering. government and departments have been complicit in this too. the main objection though is to the news cycle, relaying news with such frequency that it is not checked or is out of date a few days later, so the overall news is blurred.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
it would certainly help having consistent numbers from government and the many departments, not 3-6 sources (PHE, NHS England, ONS, Scottish, Welsh, NI health). ONS is the one to trust but delayed, others are manipulated or fudged.

and yes frankly censorship might be warranted in a case of a public health crisis. a great deal of "news" is nothing of the sort, its speculation and fear mongering. government and departments have been complicit in this too. the main objection though is to the news cycle, relaying news with such frequency that it is not checked or is out of date a few days later, so the overall news is blurred.

Excellent point. Boris and Cummins can be relied on totally to provide this censorship for the greater good

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Excellent point. Boris and Cummins can be relied on totally to provide this censorship for the greater good

unfortunatly that is the downside of this idea. we'd need someone to vet and censor government output too.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Could you give some examples?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
We have a few people stranded in the U.K. at the moment due to the halting of most routes - Mainly Havana/ Lagos but a few from less easier places to get to such as Grenada.

They have been contacted to say they have to leave the country by the end of their visa even if there is no way to get back home.

When asked how the reply was pretty much “not our problem”

What is wrong with the Gov? Braindead.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
We have a few people stranded in the U.K. at the moment due to the halting of most routes - Mainly Havana/ Lagos but a few from less easier places to get to such as Grenada.

They have been contacted to say they have to leave the country by the end of their visa even if there is no way to get back home.

When asked how the reply was pretty much “not our problem”

What is wrong with the Gov? Braindead.

bloody ridiculous....braindead nails it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
When was the last briefing? I feel like it was a while ago. Are we just getting on with it now? (Which is fine)

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
That articles shows 'people queuing outside a job centre in Bristol in March 2009' I guess it's helpful to have a picture of 10 or so people just to reinforce the catastrophic employment situation. I'm still figuring out the relevance of March 2009

Aftermath of Banking financial crisis?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
France, Morocco, Malta and another couple of countries added to the quarantine required on return to the UK.

Netherlands too. A sh1t fight today to get out of France (or to a safe nearby country) via avoid the quarantine

Difficult to forget we didn't impose any quarantine till 8th June, anyway we learn...

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Netherlands too. A sh1t fight today to get out of France (or to a safe nearby country) via avoid the quarantine

Difficult to forget we didn't impose any quarantine till 8th June, anyway we learn...

Thanks nice of them. Let’s hope they have not picked this wretched virus up and bring it home which ever way they weave their way home.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

26 hours notice, and already told if you cannot go to work you can't claim sick pay. There's now a scramble at airports and ports as thee are 160,000 Brits in France alone at present.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Silly UK ****s cutting short their French holiday by a week to drive like panicked sheep for hundreds of miles on a doomed mission to get back to UK before deadline hour. Word with yourselves FFS :facepalm:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
i cant fathom why anyone, unless within half a day drive and a booking secured, would try to get a ferry back today. phone your boss to sort out what happens, crack on with holiday. though as its been known risk since Spain quarantine, id have sorted out the contingency before leaving. just rational like that.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
i cant fathom why anyone, unless within half a day drive and a booking secured, would try to get a ferry back today. phone your boss to sort out what happens, crack on with holiday. though as its been known risk since Spain quarantine, id have sorted out the contingency before leaving. just rational like that.

To be honest who wants to quarantine, if it was me I'd drive the full day to get out

Availability on Eurotunnel looking good today, maybe a lot of people will be taking eye tests on their return??

Next country on the list for the chop Croatia, 208 cases today on the limit now. France has booming in cases for week now, its should be little surprise to anyone its been coming. Its the right decision and 30 hours is enough time to get out

Last edited:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Availability on Eurotunnel looking good today, maybe a lot of people will be taking eye tests on their return??

news reports lunch time was Eurotunnel and ferries all fully booked, and advice to not travel because they fear gridlock at the terminals.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
news reports lunch time was Eurotunnel and ferries all fully booked, and advice to not travel because they fear gridlock at the terminals.

Yeah that's BS loads of availability on Eurotunnel, my guess is a lot have looked at weather forecast and are prepared to take the quarantine. If everyone was coming back it would be impossible to get on

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yeah that's BS loads of availability on Eurotunnel, my guess is a lot have looked at weather forecast and are prepared to take the quarantine. If everyone was coming back it would be impossible to get on
Room on the Eurostar but short notice tickets cost a fortune... leShuttle mostly fully booked, that's why they say don't just turn up.... DFDS adding extra sailings on the Dover-Calais route today and huge costs for flights on BA and Air France flights... Its like Dunkirk again. If I was in France I would be stuffed, my company views sick pay as " optional" depending on the staff member and the reason for absence.... Two weeks of isolation as a precaution would not merit any payments in their eyes...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here