Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I’m confused - worldometers saying that Spain reported 510 new deaths today - perhaps the others on top were from previous days and is the weekend catch up of reporting?

I think [MENTION=365]Napper[/MENTION] was referring to Tuesday's figures which showed a rebound from the weekend, something like 750 odd. 510 new deaths? That is 'good' news indeed, respectfully.

Edit: I should have read further back on the thread, I understand there is confusion now. :(

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
These statistics are some of the most worrying I have seen lately.

If this is correct (and it seems to be based on the same ONS data that is used by the Government for the daily totals), then the current rate of increase in deaths seems to be significantly understated. This is obviously down to the delay in reporting deaths, and there could be many perfectly valid reasons for this, but if this understatement is correct, it is not good at all.

View attachment 121913

View attachment 121914

I'd appreciate if anyone can point out something I've misinterpreted, or whether these figures are incorrect.

Positive spin: all it shows is that there is lag of approximately 3 days between the numbers being announced and the actual numbers, which is totally understandable in a crisis situation. But if the numbers are following the same curve then it doesn't mean a higher peak, just that we would hit the peak a few days before we know about it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
These statistics are some of the most worrying I have seen lately.

If this is correct (and it seems to be based on the same ONS data that is used by the Government for the daily totals), then the current rate of increase in deaths seems to be significantly understated. This is obviously down to the delay in reporting deaths, and there could be many perfectly valid reasons for this, but if this understatement is correct, it is not good at all.

I'd appreciate if anyone can point out something I've misinterpreted, or whether these figures are incorrect.

not clear where the FT is getting the "NHS date of death numbers from". this NHS source is consistent with the numbers presented by government. (its off, but by a dozen or so not double as implied).

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Positive spin: all it shows is that there is lag of approximately 3 days between the numbers being announced and the actual numbers, which is totally understandable in a crisis situation. But if the numbers are following the same curve then it doesn't mean a higher peak, just that we would hit the peak a few days before we know about it.

But, if I've read right, we started going over 1500 deaths a day 12 days ago, and that still hasn't fed through to the daily figures. (All the figures on the graph only go up to 27th March, as that is all the detail that has been released).

I would have expected that to be reflected in the daily figures by now. So I would estimate the delay to be significantly more than 3 days.

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I think [MENTION=365]Napper[/MENTION] was referring to Tuesday's figures which showed a rebound from the weekend, something like 750 odd. 510 new deaths? That is 'good' news indeed, respectfully.

Edit: I should have read further back on the thread, I understand there is confusion now. :(

I was aware that yesterday's figures would go up because of reporting lags over the weekend, some other people I know were not. There is a lot of conjecture and conflicting things being said.

I'm aware of 13 people in a care home in Glasgow died in a week. I'm aware it's torn through care homes in France and Spain - what's the score across the rest of The UK in regards to care homes? :shrug:

I think I'll go and find one of those music threads and post up the video to 'Land of Confusion' by Genesis.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Honestly, these stats. It's become like a Premier League predictions competition. Although most of them look like they've been made up by FourFourTwo Magazine.

No-one knows how this will go. No-one.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
But, if I've read right, we started going over 1500 deaths a day 12 days ago, and that still hasn't fed through to the daily figures. I would have expected that to be reflected by now. So I would estimate the delay to be significantly more than 3 days.

It wasn't over 1500 deaths a day. That was a cumulative total for coronavirus deaths.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It wasn't over 1500 deaths a day. That was a cumulative total for coronavirus deaths.

I've looked again, but still read it as daily totals, not cumulative, and over 1500 deaths on 27th March, 12 days ago.

It uses the word cumulative on the title and then says death by date on the graph. We were certainly way above 1500 cumulative on 27th March.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Oh Geez. Conspiracy theorists & extreme religious wingnuts can be relied upon to display their naivety and/or idiocy. Lopestri is a Tory MP. So responsible.

View attachment 121908

Is it just me or all these cranks continually sharing articles from the Telegraph?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I've looked again, but still read it as daily totals, not cumulative, and over 1500 deaths on 27th March, 12 days ago.

It uses the word cumulative on the title and then says death by date on the graph. We were certainly way above 1500 on 27th March.

it is cumulative. looking that the total announed series from NHS, to 27th Mar is 1695, which is ~ what the graph shows. i think they are simply representing the reports given, if there are errors in the earlier numbers they have been corrected. todays offical totals are consistent between NHS and Gov.

that is to say they probably were underreporting, which is being adjusted. the comparison is one data series made a time point to a later updated data series.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just a quick update. I earlier made some negative comments about Patrick Vallance that were informed in part by my recollection that a colleague who worked for him some years ago thought he was a dick. I have just checked with my colleague who reports 'no, that was XXXXX. Patrick was excellent'. We are referring here to his management skills and his ability to design and analyse an experiment.

I am happy to retract my previous skeptical comments, and happy also to add that the ringing endorsement from my colleague (who is a real expert on designing and anlysing experiments, and processing numerical biological data) means that Vallance will have the right skill set to provide the best advice.

I am very pleased about all that.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
828 England deaths, 70 Scotland, 33 wales. Northern Ireland not announced yet. Hopefully the new cases figure is more ‘encouraging’ :(

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
828 England deaths, 70 Scotland, 33 wales. Northern Ireland not announced yet. Hopefully the new cases figure is more ‘encouraging’ :(

Whilst that is still higher than yesterday.... and I don’t like to use the word encouraging about any death toll.

The rate is slowing all be it gradually

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

I grimaced when I saw the Scottish figures earlier. Such a beautiful day today, but such a sad one. :down:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Just a quick update. I earlier made some negative comments about Patrick Vallance that were informed in part by my recollection that a colleague who worked for him some years ago thought he was a dick. I have just checked with my colleague who reports 'no, that was XXXXX. Patrick was excellent'. We are referring here to his management skills and his ability to design and analyse an experiment.

I am happy to retract my previous skeptical comments, and happy also to add that the ringing endorsement from my colleague (who is a real expert on designing and anlysing experiments, and processing numerical biological data) means that Vallance will have the right skill set to provide the best advice.

I am very pleased about all that.
That is good to know. Thanks for the update.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Yes just under 800 yesterday .... like I said it’s still rising

But it isn’t doubling every 2/3 days which is what was expected... because of the rate of infection 2 weeks ago (which was doubling every few days) the daily death toll was expected to be far higher currently

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here