Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Will be interesting to see what, if any, cultural changes become embedded on the back of the pandemic. I really hope anyone saying they are working from home as they don't feel well won't be treated like they are skiving anymore.

As for masks, you did actually see a few of them round London pre-pandemic although that was partially due to pollution. Don't think they should be enforced but perhaps we should have been considering them combined with enhanced hand hygiene during flu season anyway?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Interesting to see what happens on International travel in the coming weeks and whether there is agreement within the 4 nations.

Can see disagreement ahead, especially with Scotland..

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Completely and passionately disagree.

Masks are important until the pandemic emergency is over. But it will end, and hopefully very soon.

And it will be a huge relief to many to not have to wear, or see others, wear masks ever again.

Besides, in normal times, it is not a bad thing being exposed to most pathogens. The immune system needs exposure to be effective.

It will never* be over. Like flu, it will mutate and we will need a different vaccine in the autumn, just as we do for flu. To keep infection rate low we will need to continue intensive vaccine production and rollout. Presently we can see it takes months to get 'everyone' vaccinated. It will be interesting to see how quickly covid numbers take off in the autumn, which it will with under 18s not vaccinated.

In the meantime, encouraging mask culture seems like a responsible attitude.

*Unless we have agressive global vaccination (which we won't), or the virus mutates so it is no longer lethal allowing us to ignore it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Current Hungarian death rate about 50% more than UK peak, pretty bad...

Capture.PNG

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1382733889840484357[/TWEET]

[TWEET]1382733894756220934[/TWEET]

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Seems to be some rumblings government less confident in the June date, coming out of the events industry. A lot of festivals for this summer are cancelling as the government haven't back a insurance cover program in the event of cancellation. https://mixmag.net/read/big-events-festivals-cancelled-government-insurance-news

Raphael Hardy is in the business of event health and safety advisor and risk assessment. Raphael has always been sceptical of the 21st June restart. He's been scouring the latest published SAGE minutes and is convinced that there will be a delay between stage easing 2-4.
He believes a far more realistic date for the industry opening up is 17th July, based on the tone and conversation

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Seems to be some rumblings government less confident in the June date, coming out of the events industry. A lot of festivals for this summer are cancelling as the government haven't back a insurance cover program in the event of cancellation. https://mixmag.net/read/big-events-festivals-cancelled-government-insurance-news

Raphael Hardy is in the business of event health and safety advisor and risk assessment. Raphael has always been sceptical of the 21st June restart. He's been scouring the latest published SAGE minutes and is convinced that there will be a delay between stage easing 2-4.
He believes a far more realistic date for the industry opening up is 17th July, based on the tone and conversation

I don’t think there is anything more to this than the Gov don’t want to pay it

There is nothing in the data to suggest a slowing down, nor in Israel’s/USA data

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don’t think there is anything more to this than the Gov don’t want to pay it

There is nothing in the data to suggest a slowing down, nor in Israel’s/USA data

Why do you think they aren’t committing to more at the Euros? If we are to be ‘back without restrictions’ from 21st June, then surely we can offer more than 25% capacity of Wembley. That’s bothering me a bit

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why do you think they aren’t committing to more at the Euros? If we are to be ‘back without restrictions’ from 21st June, then surely we can offer more than 25% capacity of Wembley. That’s bothering me a bit

easier to increase capacity if things going to plan, than to cut if not.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
There is nothing in the data to suggest a slowing down,

Other than Johnson dithering over the double variant Indian covid version which is now here, and likely to cause an uptick in deaths and cases given the figures in India.
But rather than being proactive and immediately placing India on the red list for travel Johnson is more interested in his visit to India later this month and doesn't want to do anything to postpone that visit.

So Johnson going down the date rather than data route.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I Thought they just had to commit to a min amount at this stage?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Other than Johnson dithering over the double variant Indian covid version which is now here, and likely to cause an uptick in deaths and cases given the figures in India.
But rather than being proactive and immediately placing India on the red list for travel Johnson is more interested in his visit to India later this month and doesn't want to do anything to postpone that visit.

So Johnson going down the date rather than data route.

How many have India vaccinated?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Over 200K cases a day India should have been put on red list weeks ago.

My S-i-L is on track and trace and spends every day contacting people coming off of flights from India (she works off flight numbers and passenger itinery) and she says the vast majority either say they don't understand or that they will comply and hang the phone up.

It's a total f**k up and inexcusable .... hopeless 'leadership'

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Over 200K cases a day India should have been put on red list weeks ago.

My S-i-L is on track and trace and spends every day contacting people coming off of flights from India (she works off flight numbers and passenger itinery) and she says the vast majority either say they don't understand or that they will comply and hang the phone up.

It's a total f**k up and inexcusable .... hopeless 'leadership'

Right from the start we have failed to secure our borders. This government is incapable is acting proactively....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Indian variant is on our scientists watch list. They operate independently on those particular decisions.

UK politics aside, does anyone here know whether Pfizer/OAZ/Moderna vaccines are or aren’t effective against the Indian variant?

(Please no Daily Mail or Guardian links).

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The Indian variant is on our scientists watch list. They operate independently on those particular decisions.

UK politics aside, does anyone here know whether Pfizer/OAZ/Moderna vaccines are or aren’t effective against the Indian variant?

From Sky News:

"There is currently "no evidence" the Indian COVID variant can evade vaccines, the environment secretary has said, amid calls for India to be added to the government's "red list".

The UK has recorded 77 cases of the "double mutant" variant, which is currently being reviewed by British scientists.

George Eustice told Sky's Sophy Ridge On Sunday that although it is "a fairly small number at the moment - it is something that we are watching".

The environment secretary added: "I'm told there is no evidence at the moment this particular variant is able to get around the vaccine or... that it is necessarily more contagious than the others - but we are looking at it, it will be studied.""

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

We don't for sure at this stage, have we started surge testing yet?

India has x7 infection rate of Pakistan which was put on the red list almost 3 weeks.

Bojo plans to visit India Sunday

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here