Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
1440 cases today highest since June 9, basically we're where France was 2 weeks ago. Should we really we easing lockdown measures further, the warning signs are there

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
1440 cases today highest since June 9, basically we're where France was 2 weeks ago. Should we really we easing lockdown measures further, the warning signs are there

hospital admissions and deaths all down .

Wouldnt really worry about the new cases.

VE day , beaches , protests , bank holidays , pubs and restaurants opening and no massive spikes and numbers heading the right way.

New cases hysteria is all the media have at the moment.

Crazy more is not totally relaxed now.

To be fair , most people certainly when out this weekend just carrying on as normal thankfully

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
hospital admissions and deaths all down .

Wouldnt really worry about the new cases.

VE day , beaches , protests , bank holidays , pubs and restaurants opening and no massive spikes and numbers heading the right way.

New cases hysteria is all the media have at the moment.

Crazy more is not totally relaxed now.

To be fair , most people certainly when out this weekend just carrying on as normal thankfully

Yep. Just cases, schmaces. It is just picking off the tedious vulnerable now (deaths).

Shame on you for dismissing the fears of and real life threats to those over 65, those on chemo, those otherwise immunocompromised.

As they said in Germany in 1938, it's only the Jews. Nothing for the rest of us to worry about. :shrug: :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why is Leicester still on lockdown ...averaging 2 a day hospital admissions on June 29th...last eleven days zero

https://twitter.com/cricketwyvern/status/1294579602770341888?s=21

Begs a question at least..it’s almost like a forgotten city

Town full of muslims. Naughty muslims, and their extended famiies, sweat shops and alien ways.

Last eleven days, zero, you say?

Oh.

Sounds like gross incompetance, and racism to me. From the Boris conservatives? Shirley Knott? ???

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Yep. Just cases, schmaces. It is just picking off the tedious vulnerable now (deaths).

Shame on you for dismissing the fears of and real life threats to those over 65, those on chemo, those otherwise immunocompromised.

As they said in Germany in 1938, it's only the Jews. Nothing for the rest of us to worry about. :shrug: :facepalm:

And even for those you mentioned stand a pretty good chance as 99.76% of people that get it survive.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Ironically the chemo and treatment that’s been put on hold.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And even for those you mentioned stand a pretty good chance as 99.76% of people that get it survive.

Whre do you get that stat? Excess death rate in the over 75s has doubled. For both stats to be true, close to 100% of that age group must have had covid. In fact close to 100% of the population must have had it. I somehow think that is unlikely, and is not remotely supported by testing data. There is an 'aka' for that but it's too early in the morning for expletives.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Whre do you get that stat? Excess death rate in the over 75s has doubled. For both stats to be true, close to 100% of that age group must have had covid. In fact close to 100% of the population must have had it. I somehow think that is unlikely, and is not remotely supported by testing data. There is an 'aka' for that but it's too early in the morning for expletives.

I beg your pardon and you are correct, the deaths from people who have had covid is about 0.2% but that rises the older you are at the moment its about 7>10 % for over 80s of course this is only accounting for proved cases. Which I must admit was higher than I expected.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I beg your pardon and you are correct, the deaths from people who have had covid is about 0.2% but that rises the older you are at the moment its about 7>10 % for over 80s of course this is only accounting for proved cases. Which I must admit was higher than I expected.

:thumbsup:

Now you can see why some of us are still worried. One particular poster told me he has been especially distressed by the complacency, with reason better than my own, and has stepped away from NSC for a while.

I appreciate that for almost everyone under 50 there is no real threat from Covid-19 and it must be galling to be subjected to restrictions. For now, there are no 'excess deaths' according to ONS. And the economy is tanking with young fit people losing jobs, risking their homes etc. I understand the anger and frustration.

But for the vulnerable sectors it is exactly like having a loaded gun held to their heads (I say 'their' as I am in no man's land aged 'only' 62, with just a touch of respiratory vulnerability; the gun is presently bing waved at me by a lunatic down the road - still not a great feeling).

We need a vaccine. In the meantime, as I suggested weeks ago, society should probably be allowed to go back to normal EXCEPT for the vulnerable minority who should be shielded and protected (better use of taxpayer's money than blanket furlough). And masks should be compulsory. Everywhere. Why not? It will keep people's faces warm during the late autumn when the second wave really kicks in (as it may). Unfortunately our government has made the worst of all possible judgements so far, with little hope of improvement all the while Boris the Liar holds sway, with one eye on the polls and the other on the upcoming hard Brexit.

Happy days. :nono:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Now you can see why some of us are still worried. One particular poster told me he has been especially distressed by the complacency, with reason better than my own, and has stepped away from NSC for a while.

I appreciate that for almost everyone under 50 there is no real threat from Covid-19 and it must be galling to be subjected to restrictions. For now, there are no 'excess deaths' according to ONS. And the economy is tanking with young fit people losing jobs, risking their homes etc. I understand the anger and frustration.

But for the vulnerable sectors it is exactly like having a loaded gun held to their heads (I say 'their' as I am in no man's land aged 'only' 62, with just a touch of respiratory vulnerability; the gun is presently bing waved at me by a lunatic down the road - still not a great feeling).

We need a vaccine. In the meantime, as I suggested weeks ago, society should probably be allowed to go back to normal EXCEPT for the vulnerable minority who should be shielded and protected (better use of taxpayer's money than blanket furlough). And masks should be compulsory. Everywhere. Why not? It will keep people's faces warm during the late autumn when the second wave really kicks in (as it may). Unfortunately our government has made the worst of all possible judgements so far, with little hope of improvement all the while Boris the Liar holds sway, with one eye on the polls and the other on the upcoming hard Brexit.

Hi Harry,
Who are the vulnerable minority and how should they be shielded and protected?
Is it just those with underlying probs and the ancients or does it include a 72 year old like me who is in average health for my age?
Just wondering!:thumbsup:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Hi Harry,
Who are the vulnerable minority and how should they be shielded and protected?
Is it just those with underlying probs and the ancients or does it include a 72 year old like me who is in average health for my age?
Just wondering!:thumbsup:

Common sense would suggest its personal choice, but sadly this Gov hasn’t got any.

I’m now fully expecting another lock down and further damage, this time without the assistance of furlough.

They are too far down this path to admit they have it wrong.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Well said.

I’d add it’s not just the the young being damaged here - older/at risk folk are getting the double bubble of less treatment/hospital appointment.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Thought I’d post this here as well as the good news thread, as it’s very intriguing and quite reassuring to see deaths are not rising like they did with infections the first time, it’s very clear targeted testing in hotspots is probably finding many more mild cases now, this is the same in several countries.

Or, the virus has weakened?

AECE67B2-A9FB-4652-BE81-A81A1DB23F6D.jpeg

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Thought I’d post this here as well as the good news thread, as it’s very intriguing and quite reassuring to see deaths are not rising like they did with infections the first time, it’s very clear targeted testing in hotspots is probably finding many more mild cases now, this is the same in several countries.

Or, the virus has weakened?

View attachment 127232

Thats really encouraging, and some people have been saying that the virus is weakening for a month or two now.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Common sense would suggest its personal choice, but sadly this Gov hasn’t got any.

I’m now fully expecting another lock down and further damage, this time without the assistance of furlough.

They are too far down this path to admit they have it wrong.

I'm not as pessimistic as you.
If by lockdown, you mean a full blown lockdown, I can't see that happening. For one thing the country cannot afford it and the consequences would be truly awful, and quite frankly, I cannot see the public putting up with it either.
We don't know how this wretched virus will behave come the autumn and winter, that is the big unknown, but if I had to have a bet, I would say that even if infections increase, we will see nothing like the deaths we saw earlier this year........better treatments, more preparedness, many vulnerable bods have already died etc.......perhaps as Wizard questions, maybe the virus has weakened as well.
I am 72, and living in a nice quiet seaside location I do not live in constant fear of catching the virus, although I know that others do. However, on a purely personal note, I have to say that I don't go to pubs or restaurants and may cancel a December hotel break, not because of fear, but because I can't be arsed to pay dosh for a semi dystopian atmosphere in places where relaxation and enjoyment are meant to be the attraction. It doesn't do it for me!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Thats really encouraging, and some people have been saying that the virus is weakening for a month or two now.

Virus weakening or it's had all the low hanging fruit? The young now realise they are pretty well 'safe' and I suspect the demographic of cases is quite different to what it was 3 months ago. Equally those in the higher risk groups are probably still shielding and taking sensible precautions

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here