Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sorry, but that does sounds a bit like like: 'People want a war? Well let's do one properly then! You and me outside - Defcon 1 nuclear attack right now, c'mon you 'aint got the bottle?!'

It sounds like “airline industry suffering, right all those smug cnts who have guaranteed income and secure WFH jobs can starve then”.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The immediate reaction amongst everyone I have spoken to tonight is seemingly supportive of a month long nationwide semi-lock down. There is the hope this attempt at a circuit break now, will mean we can relax things when Xmas approaches. Time will tell and the current proposal will be reviewed in 2 weeks.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It sounds like “airline industry suffering, right all those smug cnts who have guaranteed income and secure WFH jobs can starve then”.

More like, bored of the double standards of those wanting people to risk heath to run around for them.

Actually got a new job :)

So not at all

And I wouldn’t be so sure jobs are secure....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
More like, bored of the double standards of those wanting people to risk heath to run around for them.

So not at all

I know many who are in teaching, construction, property, food and clothes retail, who are sitting pretty. Many loved their months WFH or furloughed on near or full pay, bike riding with the kids, lay ins, no commuting. Whilst others in secure jobs who had to work were envious of those who had that long spring and summer off. Some have built up savings from simply having little to spend money on.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The immediate reaction amongst everyone I have spoken to tonight is seemingly supportive of a month long nationwide semi-lock down. There is the hope this attempt at a circuit break now, will mean we can relax things when Xmas approaches. Time will tell and the current proposal will be reviewed in 2 weeks.

To put you in the spirit :whisky:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I know many who are in teaching, construction, property, food and clothes retail, who are sitting pretty. Many loved their months WFH or furloughed on near or full pay, bike riding with the kids, lay ins, no commuting. Whilst others in secure jobs who had to work were envious of those who had that long spring and summer off. Some have built up savings from simply having little to spend money on.

Good luck to them, I’m sitting somewhere in the middle of both groups so I’ve benefited from the furlough.

But the job loses haven’t really started yet.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
If anyone has some spare time, and wants a seriously scary read, go back to page one of this thread and start reading... I know hindsight is a wonderful tool, but some people should be very embarrassed by what has been said! And for that matter still is.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If anyone has some spare time, and wants a seriously scary read, go back to page one of this thread and start reading... I know hindsight is a wonderful tool, but some people should be very embarrassed by what has been said! And for that matter still is.

I did that once before. It is embarrassing, but there was a real lack of info as China had lied and even the WHO advising the world believed them. I remember [MENTION=30847]Megazone[/MENTION] fighting against the NSC tide taking it very seriously even when our metrics were low and thinking his posts were too gloomy.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I did that once before. It is embarrassing, but there was a real lack of info as China had lied and even the WHO advising the world believed them. I remember [MENTION=30847]Megazone[/MENTION] fighting against the NSC tide taking it very seriously even when our metrics were low and thinking his posts were too gloomy.

A lot of that is true. I was certainly in the “it’s nothing” camp for a good long while. I really needed to see things from a Western European perspective and to allow reality to overcome personal experience. I’d been in Asia for SARS and Bird Flu, one of which was controlled relatively quickly and the other of which came to nothing. Plus, I know people who knew Hove’s patient zero who were basically saying it was nothing and you fully recover quickly.

Seeing people dying night after night should be a wake up call. Getting it yourself should be. Analysing data trends should be. And yet there are still people denying it or saying crack on.

One point of order. I don’t think it was Megazone. At the time that account wasn’t posting but it belongs to a long time conspiracy theorist with several online characters. They created a new one and began posting Covid denial and 5g nonsense.

I think you are thinking of [MENTION=17254]Solid at the back[/MENTION] who deserves some credit. Sometimes the anxious are right and the bullish are wrong.

What would be incredible, though, is if after eight or so months’ experience you were still getting it wrong as recently as 21 September or, indeed, last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I thought it was fairly obvious back in January and February that WHO don't have a clue and lost all credibility back then.

Also very obvious that the clowns running this countty learnt absolutely nothing from January - March. That explains why they're doing nothing, whilst other countries like German and France act promptly. This country is a joke and I am ashamed to be from the same country as these idiots.

What utter rot. WHO have been clear and consistent throughout. East Asian countries took their advice. The UK and the US didn't. And how has it played out in these two regions?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Oh, I don’t disagree that it’s a horrible balancing act to oversee and something that must be awful to have responsibility for. It’s just a nagging feeling that we will eventually end up in another national lockdown a la France, only we’ll do it later and softer than other countries, thus requiring it to last longer and have even more damning effects both in terms of death and economically.

Already deaths are well above the level they were at when we had the first lockdown - by any logic given the relative normality in our lives compared to then it’s hard to see anything other than a death toll far, far worse than the first wave. Time will tell.

Spot on. The issue that needs to be tackled is the false dichotomy between 'saving lives' and 'protecting the economy'.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Also very obvious that the clowns running this countty learnt absolutely nothing from January - March. That explains why they're doing nothing, whilst other countries like German and France act promptly. This country is a joke and I am ashamed to be from the same country as these idiots.

Yeah feels like deja vous, it didn't need to be like this. I see the Germans are acting before things become a real problem not wait until its too late.

Johnson trying to wing it again, what happened to following the science?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Robert Jenrick ‘Circuit break would not be a short term measure’ :lolol:

You mean, governments are lying and using the term ‘circuit break’ to imply a short lockdown? Well I never, who saw that one coming.... :rolleyes:

I don’t understand some posts in this thread, much as I like to government bash, the government here ARE acting but they are acting with local lockdowns, simply look at the charts for infections in the North at the moment, the south doesn’t need to be locked down, why people are so obsessed with shutting the entire country I don’t know, it’s quite clearly not the answer.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
What utter rot. WHO have been clear and consistent throughout. East Asian countries took their advice. The UK and the US didn't. And how has it played out in these two regions?

What utter garbage. This is the same organisation that said there is no evidence of human to human infection, whilst praising China's handling of the virus. When it was obvious what was going on. They also took weeks to declare it a worldwide emergency. They're a disgrace.

Jimmy Grimble

So not at all

I do get where you’re coming from here.

I’ve read/heard a few suggestions of a lockdown but with schools and shops still open full time.

These suggestions are never from people in those lines of work.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This feels like NSC back to the future. These views could almost have been cut and pasted from March or April.

Regarding the love for Macron, please note the following facts:
1. They’ve spent many weeks using restrictions regionally. The equivalent of Sturgeon and Johnson’s tiered approach.
2. Their CV19 metrics have been growing exponentially for 10 weeks.

Let’s not hold France out as CV19 first and second wave paragons of virtue, like the UK and almost all of peninsular western Europe, they’ve had awful death tolls.

For balance, agree as always about Germany. Almost exemplary throughout. They too varied restrictions by state.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

So not at all

I totally disagree with the sentiment of your posts. Let’s take restaurants as an example. Yes I do want to buy food from them for selfish reasons but also the fact I know these people and want to support them. Asking for a takeaway delivery, when the restaurant workers have taken reasonable and sensible precautions and the delivery guy has taken reasonable and sensible precautions really isn’t expecting people to risk their lives. If I felt lives were at risk due to me wanting a burger then I wouldn’t bother.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I do get where you’re coming from here.

I’ve read/heard a few suggestions of a lockdown but with schools and shops still open full time.

These suggestions are never from people in those lines of work.

I don't think I've seen any evidence people are suggesting another lockdown because they don't want to carry on working.
The point is if everything else stopped people working in schools and shops would/should be far safer as the infection rates should be smaller.
I don't think anyone is suggesting a complete lockdown other than someone who doesn't seem to include delivery drivers, packing staff or people involved in processing and manufacturing food for some reason

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here