Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Does the same logic apply to those who actually died within 28 days of a positive test?
Some died BECAUSE of Covid
Some died WITH Covid
Some died, despite RECOVERING from Covid.
Does the date distinguish?

Dunno........I doubt in many cases the distinction would be clear anyway.............does look like more opportunity for the numbers to be 'spun' to suit various agendas though.........

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Sixth consecutive day where cases have dropped. Cases are plumetting now.

[MENTION=35904]A1X[/MENTION] and others - you must be so relieved that you were wrong about Freedom Day being a disaster?

Would be even fewer if everyone wore a mask in enclosed public spaces and got vaccinated.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It's all the hospital's fault is the new argument amongst people who were wrong for 18 months then when all the hard work that they disagreed with paid off swoop in and claim it wasn't so bad after all.

If people are catching Covid in hospitals then they are still catching Covid. We need to reduce infections to bring this figure down, which admittedly is starting to happen at the moment.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It's all the hospital's fault is the new argument amongst people who were wrong for 18 months then when all the hard work that they disagreed with paid off swoop in and claim it wasn't so bad after all.

If people are catching Covid in hospitals then they are still catching Covid. We need to reduce infections to bring this figure down, which admittedly is starting to happen at the moment.

Vaccine passports for hospitals should sort it.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The end goal isn't zero covid - it's to have control over the virus through vaccination and/or exposure to it.

We can be very positive about where we are and the direction that we are headed.

We're approaching the point now where everyone can completely ditch the masks, if we're not there already.

Don't worry, the rest of us will do any heavy lifting so you don't have to.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

No-one should be blaming hospitals. What is being reported at the moment is that a significant number of people only tested positive for covid as part of their admission to/during a hospital stay for something else. Yes these people had covid, probably asymptomatic at the time of testing, so should be included in any numbers. However there should be separate reporting of those in hospital because they are ill or seriously ill with covid and those that have tested positive while in hospital for another reason. It doesn't mean those people might not need/have needed more covid care later but it does give a truer picture of the strain on hospitals if those figures are reported separately.

The figures for those who caught it in hospital are important to know as well to aid in any work that needs to be done internally in hospitals around infection control as this will help with the control of other diseases not just covid.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Lol ..are they really saying that ..hardly

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
No-one should be blaming hospitals. What is being reported at the moment is that a significant number of people only tested positive for covid as part of their admission to/during a hospital stay for something else. Yes these people had covid, probably asymptomatic at the time of testing, so should be included in any numbers. However there should be separate reporting of those in hospital because they are ill or seriously ill with covid and those that have tested positive while in hospital for another reason. It doesn't mean those people might not need/have needed more covid care later but it does give a truer picture of the strain on hospitals if those figures are reported separately.

The figures for those who caught it in hospital are important to know as well to aid in any work that needs to be done internally in hospitals around infection control as this will help with the control of other diseases not just covid.

Put so much better than I could of….

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It's almost as if some legally enforceable restrictions should remain in place to reduce infections further, reduce the strain further on hospitals and allow them to work on the treatment backlog.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Don't worry, the rest of us will do any heavy lifting so you don't have to.
I cant work out if you're Crodo's real account or you are just a general doom merchant hanging onto every soundbite of the governments fear laden rhetoric, I'm guessing you're still giving the pub a swerve and absolutely wont be seen at the Amex the whole time that the virus is still circulating.
You really need to get out more, life's returning to normal and its wonderful to see.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I cant work out if you're Crodo's real account or you are just a general doom merchant hanging onto every soundbite of the governments fear laden rhetoric, I'm guessing you're still giving the pub a swerve and absolutely wont be seen at the Amex the whole time that the virus is still circulating.
You really need to get out more, life's returning to normal and its wonderful to see.

That was directed at one person who refuses to have the vaccine, which in my view loses you the right to comment on the reduction in cases as you have done nothing to help it.

I think we should still be wearing masks on public transport and in shops. I certainly don't want to return to lockdown.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

This - good post......there is also going to be a significant cohort that suffered more from Covid than they otherwise might have done because they had another illness (their 'original' illness if you like) at the time they went into hospital. Trying to extract 'true' numbers is going to be impossible but will be interesting to see what data does come out.

Seen a few reports today and some data showing that the Euros had a material impact on case numbers - in some cases M to F ratio of people infected going to 9-1 (not through attending games, but watching games in enclosed spaces). Might explain why we're a couple of weeks behind Scotland on the curve as they got knocked out early :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That was directed at one person who refuses to have the vaccine, which in my view loses you the right to comment on the reduction in cases as you have done nothing to help it.

I think we should still be wearing masks on public transport and in shops. I certainly don't want to return to lockdown.

I genuinely don't understand (unless there are clinical reasons) why people aren't getting jabbed (accepting it's their 'right'). The evidence in favour is overwhelming. As well as the risks to their own health, the unjabbed are going to be the majority of those putting the NHS under unnecessary strain for the foreseeable future (and stopping the non-Covid backlog of treatment from being addressed as fast as it might).

As regards masks in shops and on public transport, the vast majority still are aren't they ? (Shops at least - can't speak for public transport).

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage

And I was referring to your general stance on the restrictions, your repeated viewpoint on continuing to WFH and overwhelming lack of anything positive to say, it bothers me not whether people continue to wear masks, continue to work from home or in fact they want to continue to live like a hermit, just as long as they don't judge other people, who haven't been terrified by the media hype, and are getting on with their lives just as they did before the pandemic.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I genuinely don't understand (unless there are clinical reasons) why people aren't getting jabbed (accepting it's their 'right'). The evidence in favour is overwhelming. As well as the risks to their own health, the unjabbed are going to be the majority of those putting the NHS under unnecessary strain for the foreseeable future (and stopping the non-Covid backlog of treatment from being addressed as fast as it might).

As regards masks in shops and on public transport, the vast majority still are aren't they ? (Shops at least - can't speak for public transport).

I agree on people who refuse to be vaccinated and I really have a problem with them saying how well things are going when they have done nothing to help it along.

Haven't been on public transport but I think it is dwindling in shops. Granted I tend to go at quieter times so it is possible the same people might put their's on if there is more of a crowd.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
And I was referring to your general stance on the restrictions, your repeated viewpoint on continuing to WFH and overwhelming lack of anything positive to say, it bothers me not whether people continue to wear masks, continue to work from home or in fact they want to continue to live like a hermit, just as long as they don't judge other people, who haven't been terrified by the media hype, and are getting on with their lives just as they did before the pandemic.

If you don't have a vaccine and/or wear a mask then you are making it more likely you will give the disease onto other people. I really don't give a monkeys if you and your friends find me overly negative or judgemental.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
If you don't have a vaccine and/or wear a mask then you are making it more likely you will give the disease onto other people. I really don't give a monkeys if you and your friends find me overly negative or judgemental.
I bet I see you at the Amex, having a whale of a time, long before covid is no longer a threat, then I wont just find you negative or judgmental, I'll find you hypocritical too.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I bet I see you at the Amex, having a whale of a time, long before covid is no longer a threat, then I wont just find you negative or judgmental, I'll find you hypocritical too.

I am actually quite a fun person in the flesh.

Sounds like to get in the Amex you will either need to have been double jabbed or be tested that day. There is an argument it would be one of the safer places not to wear a mask but I will be wearing one, certainly in the early part of the season, regardless of the rules. I will review this a bit later a couple of weeks after everyone has had a chance to be double jabbed.

I will continue to play my part fighting this disease.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here