Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Have the 1,355 deaths in France in the last 24 hours been discussed? That's a shocking number.

You’re correct. It does include a cumulative 884 nursing home deaths reported for the first time, I assume pathology results took longer to come through? The underlying daily hospitals mortality rate remained about 500.

93EECBFD-16BA-4065-A9AE-B72F6DBFFA43.png

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
American though...

https://twitter.com/SykesCharlie/status/1245827775476445185?s=20

Rush Limbaugh, the prominent conservative political commentator in the US...

Feb. 24: “Now, I want to tell you the truth about the coronavirus. You think I’m wrong about this? You think I’m missing it by saying that’s — Yeah, I’m dead right on this. The coronavirus is the common cold, folks.”

March 11: “This coronavirus, they’re just — all of this panic is just not warranted. This, I’m telling you, when I tell you — when I’ve told you that this virus is the common cold.

March 13: “We’re shutting down our country because of the — the cold virus, which is what coronaviruses are...We’re shutting it — can you imagine our enemies watching this? You think the Chinese are not laughing themselves silly over how easy this has been?”

March 27: “We didn’t elect a president to defer to a bunch of health experts that we don’t know. And how do we know they’re even health experts?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Yeah makes sense now. However those poor people enquiring to the NHS are in the same place as many of us in the last few weeks, not knowing if we had coronavirus or a common cold/flu.

My thinking was along the lines of the figure itself seems.feasible particularly based on the early cases here but that is tainted by the fact that like yourself I've had those symptoms and people are so on edge that they are contacting possibly more than once.
Rambling but whilst the figure seems feasible it cant be taken as gospel with so many variables

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Pride has been cancelled. Kind of hoped that whilst that was still on could have some optimism that mass gatherings would be back on track

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I read the article, thanks. But nowhere did it say that the doctor in question wanted to get rid of the NHS. It is similar to the other article I found which states that he was looking at alternative funding for the NHS. That is clearly not the same thing.

Agreed. I came across his claim in an Observer article several years ago (which I can't now locate), he used to write for them. Will this do for you?

https://www.thecanary.co/uk/2017/02/22/bbc-newsnight-last-night-video/

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Agreed. I came across his claim in an Observer article several years ago (which I can't now locate), he used to write for them. Will this do for you?

https://www.thecanary.co/uk/2017/02/22/bbc-newsnight-last-night-video/

Thanks, but I trust the canary less than all the other rags. Well less than some. Maybe he does want to do away with it, I haven't seen the evidence, but even if so, it should not stop him being able to make interesting, informed or even encouraging comments about the current crisis.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The US is REALLY concerning, as at this point, 18.15 GMT, 34, 000 new cases so far today. Bear in mind the time delay and it could be as many as 45000-50000 new cases today. I'm struggling to see how Trump can put any kind of positive spin on this in the next 2-3 weeks, I'd expect him to scale down the press conferences so he does not have to be the bearer of bad news and statistics and his connection to them.

Got my numbers wrong , just under 30,000 new cases in the US yesterday. Still awful though, for reference the UK has recorded 33,000 cases in total since the start of recording.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The applause at 8pm last night where I am was absolutely brilliant. Social distancing was observed by all, but loads of people on my road came out and I was stood in the middle of it as there's no traffic. A lot of clenched fists and 'see you next week' going on too. Young and old were doing it too, pots and pans were being banged - it was really so uplifting. The forecast looks good for next Thursday as it stands, so there'll be even more out next time as well.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I come from Geordie stock. My dad and his family were from pit villages. In these villages, to drive away undesirables, the street would give them a tin-panning. This meant they’d come out in the street and start banging pots and pans.

I find it very odd to see people tin-panning during clap for carers. It feels as incongruous as booing.

(And yes, I know they don’t mean it that way)

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
https://www.google.com/covid19/mobility/.

. See how your community is moving around differently due to COVID-19
As global communities respond to COVID-19, we've heard from public health officials that the same type of aggregated, anonymized insights we use in products such as Google Maps could be helpful as they make critical decisions to combat COVID-19.

These Community Mobility Reports aim to provide insights into what has changed in response to policies aimed at combating COVID-19. The reports chart movement trends over time by geography, across different categories of places such as retail and recreation, groceries and pharmacies, parks, transit stations, workplaces, and residential.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
https://www.google.com/covid19/mobility/.

. See how your community is moving around differently due to COVID-19
As global communities respond to COVID-19, we've heard from public health officials that the same type of aggregated, anonymized insights we use in products such as Google Maps could be helpful as they make critical decisions to combat COVID-19.

These Community Mobility Reports aim to provide insights into what has changed in response to policies aimed at combating COVID-19. The reports chart movement trends over time by geography, across different categories of places such as retail and recreation, groceries and pharmacies, parks, transit stations, workplaces, and residential.

The raw data is pretty impressive. For example regions here, include Brighton and Hove, East Sussex and West Sussex. The insights from modelling some of this data, could be really useful from a planning and coordinating perspective.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Thanks, but I trust the canary less than all the other rags. Well less than some. Maybe he does want to do away with it, I haven't seen the evidence, but even if so, it should not stop him being able to make interesting, informed or even encouraging comments about the current crisis.

Unless I'm mistaken, there's a link to the Newsnight interview in the article. I'll leave it up to you whether you trust that, but I've done my bit in terms of responding to your enquiries.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I come from Geordie stock. My dad and his family were from pit villages. In these villages, to drive away undesirables, the street would give them a tin-panning. This meant they’d come out in the street and start banging pots and pans.

I find it very odd to see people tin-panning during clap for carers. It feels as incongruous as booing.

(And yes, I know they don’t mean it that way)

Purely from what I observed last night and who was doing it, I think and I reiterate I think, it's been suggested to encourage children to join in. It was all kids and families doing it on my street last night. I think the suggestion was innocent enough, but naive to what it was done for in the past. I know during the troubles, the nationalists would do the same in their areas to warn the IRA the RUC or the 'Brits' were about when they turned up. I didn't know that about pit villages in the north east but I can see your point entirely. My maternal grandmother was from Cumbria, so it may even have been the same there.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
That brings tears to my eyes. Thank you for your sacrifice, Areema

She's a genuine hero. It's going to be hell for her 3 poor kids, but their Mum died a hero.

That is so awful though. I've got tears in my eyes writing this too.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Unless I'm mistaken, there's a link to the Newsnight interview in the article. I'll leave it up to you whether you trust that, but I've done my bit in terms of responding to your enquiries.

I am grateful for the link. I watched the piece from Newsnight. As the canary fairly stated, he is entitled to his opinion, maybe he did want the NHS to be privatised, maybe not, he certainly wanted to change the way we pay for healthcare in the UK. This crisis may or may not change that. My family in Germany are a case in point regarding the wait times for treatment over there compared to here. They cannot believe how long seeing a consultant or receiving treatment can take. I think the professor is correct that we need to look at different ways of funding or at least to pay a LOT more in tax towards the NHS. I wouldn't disregard his views about a pandemic based upon his favoured business model though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here