Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
That isn't me, I use my pocket friend to get attention while punching all the data in on Google sheets.

So I will class you in the selfish bracket then?

The old ones are the best ones eh?

How does this POV make me selfish? I think actually it’s pretty selfless. IF somehow I contract this virus and die then actually I will just become another statistic.

My point is purely that it’s not actually a bad thing for the planet if we have a bit of a cull. *shrug*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
There's nothing wrong with a little precaution.

ggg.jpg

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Daily mail are outdoing themselves with a by line on the front page stating ‘new aggressive strain’ found. The implication being that it will get worse due to this new strain. A quick check on the web shows that this strain was identified by peking and Shanghai universities BUT appears to be the original strain and also accounts for approximately 70% of cases. It would also appear that numbers of cases of the aggressive strain is reducing. The milder case is likely to be the newer strain and a mutation.

Sample size is apparently small so caution is needed when making deductions ....

The headline should have read “ new milder strain found” ... the daily mail don’t ya just luv it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Why are they aren’t

Not sure what you mean? Do you think Italian and British culture are the same? Italian greetings tend to involve kissing as routine, many Brits struggle with a stoic handshake. UK hospitals have a duty to report confirmed cases immediately and isolate the patient, and have done so. The Italian outbreak started because a hospital in northern Italy failed to follow this basic step.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
AIDS, I admit has killed quite a few, but, it was never the plague that we were told it would be for the general population.
How was it ever going to be a plague, when you can't randomly catch it out on the street?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Populations are controlled by inducing panic and fear, it’s how religions and extreme politics work. My own personal opinion is that there will be exaggeration of the cause and effects of his virus in order to demonise the Chinese communist state.
So who is publishing the statistics of infected and deaths in China? Oh, it's China. So is the Chinese state trying to demonise the Chinese state?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That graphic shows cases only up to February 11th in China. It would be interesting to see a more up to date one as I do not believe the mortality rate is anything like that in the rest of the world.

the graphic is also showing those hospitialised by Covid-19 verse all flu incidence in population, so is grossly distorted.

its also very likely there are more people infected than being detected, as only those with moderate to severe symptoms will even be reporting any illness. this means on one hand we're further along than thought in terms of spread, the fatality rate skewed too.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I see the Daily Mail and the Daily Express, haven of senior citizens, are loving their spread and anxiety and panic.

They love a bit of Armageddon.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You really can see the best and worst in other humans at such times. Selfless, knackered medical professionals doing their level best for others vs sick profiteers wiping all shelves of hand sanitizers (that families, old people, kids will need).
Not all the medical professionals are being quite so selfless, they've been stealing the hand sanitizers from the hospital, so it's now having to be kept locked away.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I just hope that people won’t be selfish over this and that they respect other people’s wishes not to catch it. Personal hygiene is important to us and others we come into contact with. We won’t stop it but can reduce ours and other people’s chances of getting it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
How was it ever going to be a plague, when you can't randomly catch it out on the street?

No, but I remember being told years ago how it was a mutating virus that would never be controlled. For a while it was. Now having HIV in this country is more preferable to diabetes* (if given the choice).

*quote from a friend in the medical profession who has HIV.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm genuinely not overly bothered about catching it - with no pre-existing conditions that increase the risk of it becoming more serious and not being (quite) in the higher risk age profile I'd only be moderately concerned even if I did catch it. However, I would be terrified of spreading it to someone more vulnerable if I did catch it.................hence the need IMO for the precautions

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Statistically the death rate (including margin of error) is between 0.5% and 4%. The lower range is no worse than flu. The higher range is more worrying.
Firstly, I think a death rate of 0.5% is 5 times worse than flu. Secondly, your figures look very conservative to me, where have you got them from?

Worldwide, there have been 95,509 cases. 56,975 have recovered, 3,286 have died, giving a death rate of 6%. In time, when more data is available, the death rate might be estimated as a lot lower the 6% (we can only hope), but it doesn't make sense to have 4% as your upper end of the range including a margin for error. I can't see anything suggesting it's as low as 0.5%.

yet here we are with people on these threads wanting borders closed and gatherings banned when there are still fewer than 100 cases in the UK. It’s mental.
There probably aren't fewer that 100 cases in the UK.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I just hope that people won’t be selfish over this and that they respect other people’s wishes not to catch it. Personal hygiene is important to us and others we come into contact with. We won’t stop it but can reduce ours and other people’s chances of getting it.

I've passed a number of public loos while I've been out and about (no, I'm not banned from them anymore) and I haven't heard ONE person singing 'Happy Birthday'. B@stards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here