Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
World leaders are worried about collapse of stock markets, boo hoo. People before trade ffs.
This is getting messy. There were small riots in Ukraine because they've repatriated citizens. Iran because they've closed a University.
Govts don't want people to panic for obvious reasons, but with social media these days you can't keep a lid on stuff, and people will just riot when they realise that this is much more deadlier then the flu and they can't get food, or medicine or water and so on.

Already in this country you can't even buy anti bac gel, masks etc,and that's even before people have started to really worry about this.

It also doesn't just kill those old or with underlying health issues. Just yesterday a 29 year old doc in China died.

WHO are a disgrace and this should of been declared a pandemic weeks ago

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Yeah shit is hitting the fan.. and I have this feeling there is something we're not being told in order to avoid panic, there's something weird about China locking down whole cities because of a disease reportedly not much deadlier or more contagious than the average flu.

We have been told this is much deadlier than flu and that is why China has been locking down whole cities.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We have been told this is much deadlier than flu and that is why China has been locking down whole cities.

Yeah my bad. Not put in my teeth into this subject yet and interpreted an article wrong (it said that the disease outside of Hubei does not seem to be more fatal than the average flu, but I missed out on the 'not big enough sample' part).

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
That's a massive call and could set quite a precedent. If the number of outbreaks continue to grow within Europe how many other leagues will start taking action and postponing games.
You then start getting into the territory of Champions League fixtures being affected and the number of the weeks left in the season to fit in postponed domestic games diminishing.
Then it's the small matter of the Euro 2020 tournament to consider.
There will be some top level execs doing a lot of contingency planning at the moment, trying to not to cause alarm.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Italy had a load of cases of the virus (in a smattering of cities) and a death too.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
World leaders are worried about collapse of stock markets, boo hoo. People before trade ffs.
This is getting messy. There were small riots in Ukraine because they've repatriated citizens. Iran because they've closed a University.
Govts don't want people to panic for obvious reasons, but with social media these days you can't keep a lid on stuff, and people will just riot when they realise that this is much more deadlier then the flu and they can't get food, or medicine or water and so on.

Already in this country you can't even buy anti bac gel, masks etc,and that's even before people have started to really worry about this.

It also doesn't just kill those old or with underlying health issues. Just yesterday a 29 year old doc in China died.

WHO are a disgrace and this should of been declared a pandemic weeks ago

Don't be too worried about the lack of Anti-bac sanitiser, I'm pretty sure ordinary soap and hot water does just as well. As for the WHO, they moved pretty fast when they had to. The Chinese were a bit reluctant to publicise anything as they were trying to keep a lid on things as usual, when the information came out things moved as quickly as can be expected.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

they have. the emerging problem from this virus will be delays production and shipping, impacting on economies globally.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Absolutely no expert on this but if 60+ people in Italy are infected, this realistically means its out of control surely? It must be impossible to track down every human that these 60+ interacted with?

And in that case it feels pretty likely its going to spread rapidly all over (at least) mainland Europe...

I never feared the swine flu, bird flu, the old SARS etc... but this shit feels like a pretty cataclysmic event. My biggest fear isnt getting the virus, but the impact it will have on the world.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Absolutely no expert on this but if 60+ people in Italy are infected, this realistically means its out of control surely? It must be impossible to track down every human that these 60+ interacted with?

And in that case it feels pretty likely its going to spread rapidly all over (at least) mainland Europe...

I never feared the swine flu, bird flu, the old SARS etc... but this shit feels like a pretty cataclysmic event. My biggest fear isnt getting the virus, but the impact it will have on the world.
The total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Italy had reached 115.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It looks like it is on the verge of 'breaking out' but I don't think there is any conspiracy about how deadly it is.

It's simply that if it becomes a pandemic, a huge number of people will get it and if even a small proportion of that are fatalities, it will still be a large number :shrug:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It looks like it is on the verge of 'breaking out' but I don't think there is any conspiracy about how deadly it is.

It's simply that if it becomes a pandemic, a huge number of people will get it and if even a small proportion of that are fatalities, it will still be a large number :shrug:

I think the problem is that if this becomes a mainstream epidemic the NHS will not have the ability to cope with the level of care required to keep everyone alive. 100 acute cases at a time is fine, 1000 at a time and we start to struggle, 100,000 cases and the NHS will have to try to tailor its resources to those most in need/savable, more than that and we are in to the area of people trying to self medicate and dying at home because we will all be pretty much on our own.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Time to shut the Channel Tunnel???

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
150 in Italy now. I really think its time for every country on the planet to self isolate, no border crossings. That really is the only way this'll stop spreading. If world leaders don't act now, immediately and let this run its course hundreds of millions are going to die. The economy will take a short term hit, so be it. It will, be no where near as big a hit it'll take if this runs it's course.

Also, where the f is our PM? He's been very quiet on this subject!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here