Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When did you sense the wheels could be coming off?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
When we failed to win those early season games despite dominating, I took it as a very bad sign, as there are only so many winnable games for smaller clubs.
Other posters saw our possession stats as an ultra positive thing - that the goals and the wins would come. With our forward line, I was never convinced.
Now some of those posters have lost belief.
Essentially, if the club thinks the existing squad is good enough to keep us up, it’s delusional.
Personally, I think there will be a surprise major signing.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Interesting topic. I’m abroad at the moment so initially had to rely on fan reaction to the Bournemouth result. Sounded like we’re doomed. Then read the reports, saw the highlights, the stats and Ramsdale playing a blinder and it seemed a very different picture.

A far cry from the shambles of the Cardiff and Bournemouth games last season where it was very obvious there were splits in the camp.

Definitely enough quality in the squad to keep us clear of trouble. Small problems that can be addressed in training and with everyone - fans included - united.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting topic. I’m abroad at the moment so initially had to rely on fan reaction to the Bournemouth result. Sounded like we’re doomed. Then read the reports, saw the highlights, the stats and Ramsdale playing a blinder and it seemed a very different picture.

A far cry from the shambles of the Cardiff and Bournemouth games last season where it was very obvious there were splits in the camp.

Definitely enough quality in the squad to keep us clear of trouble. Small problems that can be addressed in training and with everyone - fans included - united.

This is true

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
When Locadia and Andone left after the transfer window slammed shut.
Locadia left before the window shut, I think, along with Gyokeres and Mlakar on loan.

I'm convinced our striker strategy would have been different if we had planned for Andone going after the window shut.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Locadia left before the window shut, I think, along with Gyokeres and Mlakar on loan.

I'm convinced our striker strategy would have been different if we had planned for Andone going after the window shut.
Actually that is wrong. Locadia did indeed leave after the window shut. It just seemed ( to me ) that the club was relaxed about it as it gave Connolly his chance. Obviously, with Andone leaving after that, and with Mlakar and Gyokeres already on loan, there was no one left to take that chance.

With that in mind, I'm surprised we haven't already got a striker in, but I'm 100% certain we will do.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

This is true

It is true. But we never really looked like winning, even before they scored.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Actually that is wrong. Locadia did indeed leave after the window shut. It just seemed ( to me ) that the club was relaxed about it as it gave Connolly his chance. Obviously, with Andone leaving after that, and with Mlakar and Gyokeres already on loan, there was no one left to take that chance.

With that in mind, I'm surprised we haven't already got a striker in, but I'm 100% certain we will do.

Wow, why are you so certain??

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
You had no sense of wheel failure after we lost to Cardiff ?

Blimey.

The question asked was when did I sense "the wheels coming off"

I honestly thought the team would fail and be relegated when GraPott was given the manager job.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Wow, why are you so certain??
Because it makes sense.

In the past, transfer windows have always seemed a bit crazy, but when they shut then they make sense as a whole when looking back at them.

The single occasion that it didn't make sense was with the last minute failed Vincent Jannsen scramble.

That won't happen again.

It is inconceivable that we won't sign a striker. So we will. If he is of high enough quality or not... wait and see, I suppose.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
We played better during the first half of the season but didn't get the results we deserved. For me the second half against Villa I was shaking my head in dis-belief in how we were playing.

Obviously confidence plays a huge part in how Potter wants to play and that has been affected with the results we've had over the last couple of months.
Potter literally has to work his magic over this little break to repair that confidence and get us playing how he wants us to.

Otherwise we will be going down, new striker or not.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
3 games into the season I said I thought we would be playing pretty football in the championship next season. Since then we have continually thrown points away against teams around us that we were, to an extent, outplaying. So, no reason to change my view but I really hope that thread will be bounced at season's end to call me out for being unduly negative and wrong.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It is true. But we never really looked like winning, even before they scored.

It’s all ifs and buts... surely though, if Ramsdale hadn’t somehow got a hand to Maupay’s shot, then the whole dynamic changes. Likewise, pulling one back earlier would have made Bournemouth nervous, so we’ll never really know. The old cliche ‘goals change games’ has a lot of truth in it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here