Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When did you sense the wheels could be coming off?

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
The Sheffield Wednesday cup game.

(I’m hoping the wheels jump back on again and we stay in the PL, but I'm a natural pessimist)

Agreed that was so bad and showed that the depth of the squad was not what I thought. Potter likes to tinker, to do that you must have the players. Too many inconsistent players to perform at the same level every game. It is like playing with 9 men every game because at least two have a mare every game.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The club had a 5 year plan for top 10 finish. The club also had a 5 year plan when we got promoted from League One to be in the Premiership.

Are you saying Tony Bloom is too ambitious ?
I was surprised at TB’s judgement he’s a clever man and knows the league positions are 90% decided by playing budgets. Apart from Norwich we are the only PL club not to spend £20m plus on a single player, naturally I was baffled when I heard this top ten in five years especially after Fulham basically kept us up last season.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I'm exactly the same as you. Was really looking forward to the villa game and feeling confident we'd get some decent results over this period of vital games. Now feel pretty flat about everything and no confidence at all - esp. with other teams around us picking up points, some unexpected ones too

I could have typed that.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Palace game was the key point for me.... allowed them to take over after complete domination by us..... a microcosm of our fragile performances and tepid resilience.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Wolves. They knew exactly how to deal with our gameplan and punished us for it, now everybody who's done their homework does exactly the same thing (press our defenders) and we just can't cope with it. If you're going to give the ball away it's better to do it 70 yards from your own goal than 20.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Up until as recently as the Villa game I was near enough 100% confident we had enough to stay up with a bit to spare. But after dropping points in that game (again) and last night’s unmitigated cluster**** I’m now 50/50 and even that might be overly optimistic looking at forthcoming fixtures.

I know some had reached this position far sooner than me, so when did the alarm bells start ringing for you?

I realised after the Everton game that the hub caps had gone

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
My worry is looking at the squad, how many are going to roll their sleeves up and battle when it comes to it ? Can’t see the character, quality and resilience needed.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Up until as recently as the Villa game I was near enough 100% confident we had enough to stay up with a bit to spare. But after dropping points in that game (again) and last night’s unmitigated cluster**** I’m now 50/50 and even that might be overly optimistic looking at forthcoming fixtures.

I know some had reached this position far sooner than me, so when did the alarm bells start ringing for you?

Same as you.

I remember the season before Hereford. We were actually in the third tier. I went to plenty of games and we were quite good at home. Played nice football. But we were absolute powder puff. I can't help thinking that we are like that again. Back then I never really thought we'd go down, but the table didn't lie. And the season after that . . . . I can't see that happening again, but I didn't see all that stuff happening then. Luckily I am the world's worst football punter, so when I put £50 on us going down when it was 8-1 it was psychological insurance, and I confidently predict that whatever I confidently predict will fail to come to pass.

Incidentally, I am quite disappointed by the paucity of National Trust places to visit in Kent.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Palace away . We were brilliant but the fact we seemed so toothless and then from no where managed to almost throw the game away really concerned me. It just looked like teams now accept we have alot of the ball so dont panic as we will fold once they get ariel / physical / into them for any prolonged period.

After that its almost like the players lost belief

Sheff Utd - lot of ball , toothless
Spurs - lot of the ball , goal up then folded as per Palace
Bournmouth H - Exception the this batch of games - decent performance
Wednesday - lot of ball toothless + gash
Everton - Gash
Villa - lot of ball , toothless + fairly gash
Bournemouth was a full house , lot of ball , toothless , folded under pressure + GASH

So signs been there for a while and teams dont unravel when we start dominating the ball like they might of before. They just hang in there and avoid the 1 chance we create then hit us and watch us pyschologically implode

West Ham next , expecting a lot of the ball at the start as per usual

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
After Chelsea

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
1) Letting Androne and Locardia go leaving us with Maupay Murray and untried Connelly
2) Playing Alzate out of position replacing an established full back
3) Playing Mooy on wing instead of central
4) Dropping Ali J when he must have been on a high after scoring 2 goals
5) 2 up front then one up front/ 3 at back then 4 at back/ wide player no wide player Does he know what he wants ?
6/ Androne and Locadia very much part of thinking then gone without replacements

Apart from this all ok, But where I got very worried .Decent side put out in cup against a very average side. Dire performance followed by Potter saying we will learn from this.

I simply don't get some of Potter's team selections as some rightly say Ali scores 2 game on trot including the wonder goal against Chelsea then dropped to bench. Ok for cup tie fair enough he came on for 20 mins and was best player for said time he was on them relegated to bench there after. Too much tinkering maybe??

seagull winners

Sep 8, 2011
When Stephens played instead of Bissouma

In first game against Bournemouth we play with Bissouma and without Stephens and win 2 nil but by the return fixture we play with Stephens and without Bissouma and lose 2 nil. We need Alexis Mac Allister in a midfield 4 with Yves, Aaron and either Steven or AJ supplying crosses for Glenn or new striker with Neil please.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
In first game against Bournemouth we play with Bissouma and without Stephens and win 2 nil but by the return fixture we play with Stephens and without Bissouma and lose 2 nil. We need Alexis Mac Allister in a midfield 4 with Yves, Aaron and either Steven or AJ supplying crosses for Glenn or new striker with Neil please.

Ignore, the Aaron fooled me..

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
When Potter started spouting virtually word for word Hughton’s January club statement that he believes in his squad and is happy to go along with what he’s got
This led me to believe the club management had learnt nothing from last seasons narrow escape and we have another puppet manager who spouts what he is told to

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here