Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will Potter Stick or Twist?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Potter did sound genuinely a bit shaken on t'radio last night. Kept repeating the 'we must find solutions' mantra. Time will tell if that pans out or not. Eternally tinkering with starting line-up don't bode well. Barring injuries, he should know his core eleven by now, same as most PL managers do

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

1. He won't change because he possibly doesn't have the experience to do it another way.

2. He can't change because he was given the " gig " on the Mantra to play that way.

3. He won't be allowed to because he will be railroaded from those above him to continue that way and he really doesn't have the "standing" within the game or I personally feel, the strength of character to stand up to people above him even if he wanted to. Although I don't think he would want to anyway.

Maybe not associated with his coaching career, but he would from his playing career?
Point 3 - that's a hefty accusation. He may have a different brief/expectation of how the Club will operate to previous managers and he may be there to implement a Club strategy with the Men's 1st team (arguably) so his role is different but "strength of character " doubts feel a little harsh? Someone who left his country to start off, then made big changes at a Club recently relegated from PL, leaving for a Club likely to be in a relegation battle must require a great deal of character I would have thought?
You might have some examples that make you feel that way?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Maybe not associated with his coaching career, but he would from his playing career?
Point 3 - that's a hefty accusation. He may have a different brief/expectation of how the Club will operate to previous managers and he may be there to implement a Club strategy with the Men's 1st team (arguably) so his role is different but "strength of character " doubts feel a little harsh? Someone who left his country to start off, then made big changes at a Club recently relegated from PL, leaving for a Club likely to be in a relegation battle must require a great deal of character I would have thought?
You might have some examples that make you feel that way?
There are no accusations in my post. Only personal opinions.

To be honest I found your response a little difficult to understand apart from the bit about going to Sweden.

It doesn't take great strength of character to move. Millions of people do it all the time.

I have moved around myself many times. You apply for a job. You go for an interview. You get the job and you move.

It's not dead easy but neither is it overly difficult

E

There are no accusations in my post. Only personal opinions.

To be honest I found your response a little difficult to understand apart from the bit about going to Sweden.

It doesn't take great strength of character to move. Millions of people do it all the time.

I have moved around myself many times. You apply for a job. You go for an interview. You get the job and you move.

It's not dead easy but neither is it overly difficult

Maybe, but to move from where things are going well, safe places, needs a good amount of self-belief/confidence. People do move all the time, but not necessarily when things are going well. Apologies if muddled response - just intrigued what you have seen that suggests he can't stand up to others or change even if he wanted to.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Maybe, but to move from where things are going well, safe places, needs a good amount of self-belief/confidence. People do move all the time, but not necessarily when things are going well. Apologies if muddled response - just intrigued what you have seen that suggests he can't stand up to others or change even if he wanted to.
Code:

Where was he before he moved to Sweden ?

I have no Idea. There must have been something he saw in that move to make it attractive enough to uproot himself and his family.

As I said. I have moved location many times in my career; however, not once did I move for a role that was less attractive to me than the job I was already in and I don't suppose there can be too many that would.

This is a real interesting time for Potter and how he coaches the team from now to the end of the season. He's been building something good and there have been a more promising performances than bad ones. Whilst there are a lot of teams out there that are playing a game to survive, from Sheffield United to Palace to Watford, we are building a style of play, blooding youth, building a squad.

But absolutely no doubt about it that right now we are facing a relegation battle. So will Potter stick or twist? Stick with what he is doing, keep on the same path with the faith that it will come good and lead on to sunnier times in the future. Or change it around, pick Duffy and Murray, change the style of play and go backs against the wall to keep us up, then go again next season? We've been here before, Slade putting Hart up front during his great escape; Hughton recalling Bruno for the run-in last season. Old heads, wise heads to do a job when the chips are down.

Like most I was surprised Murray wasn't used last night. Most of the season he has looked like his effectiveness at the top level has just gone, but there were signs of life at Everton, and if he's good enough to be on the bench he's good enough to get on the pitch. As for Duffy, well we know he wins stuff in the air and is dominant when we are defending deep. If we're going to try to smash and grab a couple of 1-0 wins, he's the man. I think Webster is going to be a top top footballer but last night I wouldn't have complained if someone just told him to have a rest out of the firing line for a few games.

On the other hand - so much about Potter's style really IS working. Looked at in isolation we've played Bournemouth off the park, gone toe-to-toe with Chelsea, came back strongly away at Everton coming agonisingly close to an equaliser on three occasions, a good first half against Villa and controlled large parts of last nights away game with 21 shots and getting undone in a 5-minute period of madness. If thats a run of games which results in the wailing and gnashing of teeth that we see on NSC, maybe its just because our expectations have been raised so high by some of the early season performances and results. We're only just over half-way through the season after all, its not last-chance saloon by any means. Our home form hasn't collapsed. There may not be much too wrong that a bit of good fortune can't change.

But Potter will be feeling the heat. And standing in the crowd at Bournemouth last night it was clear there were a lot of murmurings and discontent around. We're in a slump and we're going to learn a lot about what kind of manager he is over the next few months, whether he has the courage of his convictions and can bring the squad with him, and can keep the fans with him.

Outstanding post: measured, thoughtful, and reflective. It even cheered me up (a little).

Altered State

Feb 19, 2008
Olney, Bucks
1. He won't change because he possibly doesn't have the experience to do it another way.

2. He can't change because he was given the " gig " on the Mantra to play that way.

3. He won't be allowed to because he will be railroaded from those above him to continue that way and he really doesn't have the "standing" within the game or I personally feel, the strength of character to stand up to people above him even if he wanted to. Although I don't think he would want to anyway.

The second on the list is correct I believe. In a video in another thread Ashworth explains how the club operates. It’s about having a consistent philosophy of play. If Potter went for any reason, the next manager would have to be one who carries on the philosophy. So, no, we won’t be getting a ‘Big Sam’ in to save the day, unless everything totally unravels at every level of the club.

If Potter were to stand up to the people above him he’d be gone. He won’t though - not because he can’t, but because he shares the philosophy. Potter’s job is to make it work tactically, Ashworth’s job to make it work strategically.

It’s not working as well as it needs to be - yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
At the beginning of the season we looked great going forward with Andone and Maupay but then Andone went awol. Potter needs two up front and Connolly isn't ready and Murray is too slow. I dont know why we didnt get the Genk guy but if we dont get a forward this window who can score goals then all Potter's work will fall apart.

E

Code:

Where was he before he moved to Sweden ?

I have no Idea. There must have been something he saw in that move to make it attractive enough to uproot himself and his family.

As I said. I have moved location many times in my career; however, not once did I move for a role that was less attractive to me than the job I was already in and I don't suppose there can be too many that would.

Understood (Dont completely agree that its easy to move) but what have you see in Potter that says he hasn't got strength of character? Not being difficult, genuine question..

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
GP has changed the way we play and we dominate a lot of possession and play some nice football but we cant defend or score. Wolves play nice football and they defend and score and have not been up as long as us so we should be at their level in theory. Plainly we are not. So its either the coach, investment, wrong players or too much too soon. Either way we need to do something different as what we are doing is not working.

x.jpg

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This is a real interesting time for Potter and how he coaches the team from now to the end of the season. He's been building something good and there have been a more promising performances than bad ones. Whilst there are a lot of teams out there that are playing a game to survive, from Sheffield United to Palace to Watford, we are building a style of play, blooding youth, building a squad.

But absolutely no doubt about it that right now we are facing a relegation battle. So will Potter stick or twist? Stick with what he is doing, keep on the same path with the faith that it will come good and lead on to sunnier times in the future. Or change it around, pick Duffy and Murray, change the style of play and go backs against the wall to keep us up, then go again next season? We've been here before, Slade putting Hart up front during his great escape; Hughton recalling Bruno for the run-in last season. Old heads, wise heads to do a job when the chips are down.

Like most I was surprised Murray wasn't used last night. Most of the season he has looked like his effectiveness at the top level has just gone, but there were signs of life at Everton, and if he's good enough to be on the bench he's good enough to get on the pitch. As for Duffy, well we know he wins stuff in the air and is dominant when we are defending deep. If we're going to try to smash and grab a couple of 1-0 wins, he's the man. I think Webster is going to be a top top footballer but last night I wouldn't have complained if someone just told him to have a rest out of the firing line for a few games.

On the other hand - so much about Potter's style really IS working. Looked at in isolation we've played Bournemouth off the park, gone toe-to-toe with Chelsea, came back strongly away at Everton coming agonisingly close to an equaliser on three occasions, a good first half against Villa and controlled large parts of last nights away game with 21 shots and getting undone in a 5-minute period of madness. If thats a run of games which results in the wailing and gnashing of teeth that we see on NSC, maybe its just because our expectations have been raised so high by some of the early season performances and results. We're only just over half-way through the season after all, its not last-chance saloon by any means. Our home form hasn't collapsed. There may not be much too wrong that a bit of good fortune can't change.

But Potter will be feeling the heat. And standing in the crowd at Bournemouth last night it was clear there were a lot of murmurings and discontent around. We're in a slump and we're going to learn a lot about what kind of manager he is over the next few months, whether he has the courage of his convictions and can bring the squad with him, and can keep the fans with him.

You’re right on every aspect.

The issue I have is Webster is poor currently at reading the situation whether it be defending or decision in control of the ball. I believe he has weakened Dunk’s game as the trust required between CB’s needs to be exacting. The issue also raises it head when we are defending set pieces, the wrong players seem to be picking up the danger ones from the other side. Ryan is really weak at imposing himself. Add to this the constant swapping of right back, we are lacking a cohesive well drilled defence. Our other players are either very small or can’t head the ball for toffee. We look so vulnerable.

Upfront we need to at least try an old head in Murray to start, along with a supporting role.

At least we’re in most games, unlike last year where we were never interested in attempting to create or even score.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Brilliant post.

For me, it’s stick with the style but change some of the personnel. Drop Webster for Duffy, play to Mooy’s strengths and give Muzza a good 25-30 mins per game if Maupay isn’t effective.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Last night when Bournemouth attacked they pushed 4 or 5 in the box. When we attacked Maupay was usually the only player in the box, and our midfield waited outside. It was really noticable

Yes I mentioned this to my son, at times in the first half it was almost like our attacks in the 2nd half of last season where only 1 of our players was forward in the opposition penalty area, stark contrast to the start of this season.

But times in the 2nd half we had men up in support but as usual wrong decisions were made by the man in possession and the move broke down.

Can Potter be blamed for poor decision making by the players?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Understood (Dont completely agree that its easy to move) but what have you see in Potter that says he hasn't got strength of character? Not being difficult, genuine question..

I know you aint being difficult but I have my reasons for thinking this but mainly it comes from how he treated the Cup Competitions and in particular the Carabao Cup with the team he played against Villa

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here