Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Current Situation - a reasoned rant

mrjon1976

Found bliss in ignorance
Jul 25, 2011
gravesend
There has been a lot said about our current plight, with a lot of opinions floating about.

I have long been disappointed at the slightly holier than thou attitude of some longer standing fans. I'm fed up of hearing how we have been in worse positions, etc etc. Yes that is true, but banging on about our history is no different to the joke of how many Liverpool fans does it take to change a light bulb (50. 1 to change it and 49 to remember how good the old bulb was...). to me it makes no difference now that 20 years ago we were in the poop -if we get relegated then so be it, but at least go down with a fight rather than what we have been subjected to in the last few games.

The fact of the matter is that we are in the poo big time and we all have our opinions and observations. It still angers me to the core how we "rested" several players thinking of the bigger picture in the FA Cup game against the massive. worked out really well, didn't it? You can point to the stats last night and say on another day we could have scored 4. However on another day my auntie could have had balls and been my uncle. It counts for nothing in the moments when we are clearly on top and we don't take advantage. then when we are on top (aston villa) and get our noses in front, the first substitution changes the game completely as we basically surrender the midfield and invite Grealish to have a field day. I think that in the long term GP is the man to take this club forward, I really do. But how many times will he say we will "learn" from these games? He certainly talks a good game, but at this point we need to dig deep and really scrap. As for the perceived way he has treated Murray and Duffy....well if last night wasn't the cue for Glenn to leave I dont know what is.And Knocky may not have been at his best last season (or this at Fulham), but I would have him in a heartbeat over Ali J. And don't get me started on the whole "position roulette" that seems to be occuring - that just stinks of a man that is bang out of ideas.

As for the players...well I agree that berating them doesn't really help, but then they have hardly responded to decent support when it has occured either. The problem as I see it is that our squad has barely evolved since promotion. We may have moved forward a step or 2 but other teams have leapt forward and rewritten what could be expected of a promoted team. We have been found out big time, and unlike last season where there were 3 worse teams than us, we are truly in the mix this time round.

what is the answer? new signings take time to bed in, and our record on big money signings is patchy. We have Izquierdo potentially due back, but I can't see how he fits into GP's system. I saw on Twitter that the next 4 games are winnable - well forgive me for saying but Villa who don't play with a recognised sttiker and Bournemouth who quite frankly have been worse than us lately were meant to me winnable, yes? the bottom line is that just because I may slate GP's tactics on occasion, just because seeing us become a gutless shell breaks my heart doesnt make me a better or worse supporter than anyone else. I will still be there at West Ham next weekend to support whoever wears the stripes.

We will never get a consensus, but at least for the next few games, let's put our differences aside, and back the team however hard that may be.

boik

Well, to summarise NSC....

Anyone not currently playing would come back and be the saviour (Glenn, Shane, Yves).
Everyone out on loan would also be the saviour( Ben White, Argie Mac, Jayson, Andone).
CHs football was turgid and he had to go, but we need some turgid defensive football now and would welcome him back.
We're really proud of the kids coming through, but for god sake drop them and spunk lots of dosh on some old pros.
It's Potters, Asworths, Websters, Dales and Kevin Friends fault.
Everyone who pays their money is entitled to rant, but they should shut the fizz up and get behind the team.
Oh, and we're definitely relegated even though we're not in the bottom 3.

Have I missed anything?

My rant is how on earth have we sort of crumbled after playing palace off the park at their place only got a point but a point at least, deservedly beating arsenal at their place and now we seem so woeful in defence and confidence us front just suddenly shot to pieces. Last night we played muff of the park for half an hour yet other than 1 chance created we just seem so lame. Is it that the players were so in control last night that they thought it'll just be a matter of time before the score and win or.....I don't know I just can't fathom it out.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
There has been a lot said about our current plight, with a lot of opinions floating about.

I have long been disappointed at the slightly holier than thou attitude of some longer standing fans. I'm fed up of hearing how we have been in worse positions, etc etc. Yes that is true, but banging on about our history is no different to the joke of how many Liverpool fans does it take to change a light bulb (50. 1 to change it and 49 to remember how good the old bulb was...). to me it makes no difference now that 20 years ago we were in the poop -if we get relegated then so be it, but at least go down with a fight rather than what we have been subjected to in the last few games.

The fact of the matter is that we are in the poo big time and we all have our opinions and observations. It still angers me to the core how we "rested" several players thinking of the bigger picture in the FA Cup game against the massive. worked out really well, didn't it? You can point to the stats last night and say on another day we could have scored 4. However on another day my auntie could have had balls and been my uncle. It counts for nothing in the moments when we are clearly on top and we don't take advantage. then when we are on top (aston villa) and get our noses in front, the first substitution changes the game completely as we basically surrender the midfield and invite Grealish to have a field day. I think that in the long term GP is the man to take this club forward, I really do. But how many times will he say we will "learn" from these games? He certainly talks a good game, but at this point we need to dig deep and really scrap. As for the perceived way he has treated Murray and Duffy....well if last night wasn't the cue for Glenn to leave I dont know what is.And Knocky may not have been at his best last season (or this at Fulham), but I would have him in a heartbeat over Ali J. And don't get me started on the whole "position roulette" that seems to be occuring - that just stinks of a man that is bang out of ideas.

As for the players...well I agree that berating them doesn't really help, but then they have hardly responded to decent support when it has occured either. The problem as I see it is that our squad has barely evolved since promotion. We may have moved forward a step or 2 but other teams have leapt forward and rewritten what could be expected of a promoted team. We have been found out big time, and unlike last season where there were 3 worse teams than us, we are truly in the mix this time round.

what is the answer? new signings take time to bed in, and our record on big money signings is patchy. We have Izquierdo potentially due back, but I can't see how he fits into GP's system. I saw on Twitter that the next 4 games are winnable - well forgive me for saying but Villa who don't play with a recognised sttiker and Bournemouth who quite frankly have been worse than us lately were meant to me winnable, yes? the bottom line is that just because I may slate GP's tactics on occasion, just because seeing us become a gutless shell breaks my heart doesnt make me a better or worse supporter than anyone else. I will still be there at West Ham next weekend to support whoever wears the stripes.

We will never get a consensus, but at least for the next few games, let's put our differences aside, and back the team however hard that may be.

Fair point, but how long does GP have to take this club forward?

The days of Barry Lloyd having 6 and a half years, one promotion, two relegations and a play off defeat at Wembley are gone, this is an almost instant results scenario, yes at times the football is far more exciting to watch than under CH, but the key is a consistent end product which we clearly don't have.

After the peaks and troughs over the years nothing would shock me with the Albion, so don't rule out a new manager in the dugout at West Ham, but also don't rule out three quality signings by Potter in the same period.

This really is s*** or bust time for Bloom, this squad is clearly not good enough to stay up on their current form, will a new manager and some signings change that?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It still angers me to the core how we "rested" several players thinking of the bigger picture in the FA Cup game.

Maybe you should practice some mindfulness. Because that is weird.

mrjon1976

Found bliss in ignorance
Jul 25, 2011
gravesend
My rant is how on earth have we sort of crumbled after playing palace off the park at their place only got a point but a point at least, deservedly beating arsenal at their place and now we seem so woeful in defence and confidence us front just suddenly shot to pieces. Last night we played muff of the park for half an hour yet other than 1 chance created we just seem so lame. Is it that the players were so in control last night that they thought it'll just be a matter of time before the score and win or.....I don't know I just can't fathom it out.

I think that's where my desperation stems from. They clearly aren't a bad bunch and we have played teams off the park that we couldn't get close to last year. Maybe we are a bit unlucky on occasion but sometimes you have to make your own luck. I quite like Webster, and Stephens against Villa was as good as he has been before he got suspended. the crazy 5 minutes where smug eddie's lot scored twice summed it all up. Even Maty looked shaken by it all. I look at the squad and see who would roll their sleeves up and get stuck in - Maupay, Duffy, Murray and Dunk. He clearly doesn't favour Duffy or Glenn.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I think the other team allow us to dominate them knowing we are about as penetrating as rice paper through steel. The other team conserve energy and just pick and choose moments to attack, while we run ourselves into the ground.

We've been found out big time. So easy to play against as others have stated.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
why weird? it isn't as if they looked fresh on their return to action so what was the point? winning is a habit as is losing.

It's weird to be 'angry to the core' 3 weeks after your football team rest some players for the FA Cup, like every team in the land does. Some people really do take football too seriously.

I can throw spurs away into my above post as well 1St half we were better side scored and ended up losing. It has to be what we've been crying out for that 1 quality striker. Spurs have kane palace zaha villa last week grealish albeit a midfielder but last night it was muff who have been riddled with injuries and on the first half hour looked very poor indeed. Whatever Woy said at palace Eddie said at muff or dean Smith on sat against villa they all turned it round on us. Surely Potter must lay into them at some point and tell them some home truths!!!

Anyone not currently playing would come back and be the saviour (Glenn, Shane, Yves).
Everyone out on loan would also be the saviour( Ben White, Argie Mac, Jayson, Andone).
CHs football was turgid and he had to go, but we need some turgid defensive football now and would welcome him back.
We're really proud of the kids coming through, but for god sake drop them and spunk lots of dosh on some old pros.
Everyone who pays their money is entitled to rant, but they should shut the fizz up and get behind the team.

Have I missed anything?

I guess an opinion of why we've hit a patch of bad form. Yes an entire messageboard is going to be filled with contradictory stuff but what's the wheat in the chaff?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Have I missed anything?

Ffs, there is no one NSC view............

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
For me the issue is Villa were worse than us and had the fight to look like they would win, and didn’t lose. Bournemouth were worse than us and then turned up the passion and wiped us away. Where is our fight, aggression, will to win? I was disappointed last night that there wasn’t a bad challenge out of anger. We were nice to the end.

I want to see us scrap for points and win when we shouldn’t, and certain stop rolling over when we could win!

Lush

Mods' Pet

Have I missed anything?

I'd like to have a go at summarising the approach of the team who plays against us.

Let them have possession and pass it around, it won't come to anything.
With all those passes, they will finally make a stupid error.
That's our cue to go up a gear and pour forward in numbers.
Chances are we'll score.
Repeat until we win the game.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
You're right, there isn't - that's probably why he's listed seven of them......................

If the post was to point out there are lots of view, then...well...yes, sure, that’s life. If it’s the Potter can’t please anyone, then...well...yes, that’s life, and particularly so in a relegation dog fight. If it’s we are all fools, then for sure some are but many aren’t

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here