Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] BT Openreach scam

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
SAINSBURY'S CAR PARK SCAM - BEWARE !

Please BE WARNED !
Over the last month I have become a victim of a clever 'Eastern European' scam whilst out shopping.

Simply dropping into Sainsbury's supermarket for a bit of shopping turned out to be quite an experience !
Don't be naive enough to think it couldn't happen to you or your friends !
Here's how the scam works:

Two very good-looking 20-21 year-old girls of eastern European origin come over to your car as you are packing your shopping into the boot.
They both start cleaning your windscreen, their breasts almost falling out of their skimpy T- shirts !
When you thank them and offer them a tip, they'll say 'No' and instead they ask you for a lift to another supermarket, in my case, Tesco. You agree and they both get in the back seat.

On the way there, they start undressing, until both are completely naked.
Then, when you pull over to remonstrate, one of them climbs over into the front seat and starts crawling all over your lap, kissing you, touching you intimately and thrusting herself against you, while the other one steals your wallet !

I had my wallet stolen on October 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th, 17th, 20th, 24th and 29th.
Also on November 1st, 4th, 6th, 9th and 10th and twice yesterday !
So please warn all the older men you know to be on the lookout for this scam.
The best times seem to be just before lunch and about 4:30 in the afternoon.

P.S. Aldi have cheap wallets on sale for £1.99 each but Lidl wallets are £1.75 and look much better !!

Happy Shopping ! ;-)

Thanks to half the country that scam won't happen after 31st Jan

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I had a nice fully automated scam call today. Recorded in a reassuring English accent, nice mood music, and with no attempt to mention the provider. Apparently my router was about to fail and I should press 1 to speak to an engineer.

Very polished.

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
Don't get this one - if you are selling something why would you ever be likely to pay money to the buyer?

Another scam they can operate is to spoof a PayPal email to you confirming that the money has been transferred to your account, but it is an "accidentally" inflated amount, so they ask you to transfer back the supposed overpayment.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Also in this particular Self Assessment paying month, scammers churn out emails purporting to be from HMRC, copying the colours and fonts of the real HMRC website.

Either offering the ‘tax refund’ you’re due back, or demanding the alleged ‘tax due’.

All absolute bull, HMRC only send text and email reminders about meeting deadlines, but never ask for you to respond to their send only communications.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
I told them i was with Sky, they said yes, Sky use open Reach servers. If you arent sure, its easy to accept that it could be true.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just a heads up guys

Scammers are calling claiming to be from BT Operreach. They claim to be trying to improve your internet speed. If you fall for this, they want you to allow them to take control of your PC/Laptop.

While they are busy checking your PC, they are also busy stealing your bank account details.

Beware, I have had 3 calls in 2 days.

Maybe time for everyone to pull a plug on their landline. Just about every call you get on it will be from from some form of scumbag scanner.

Time to issue society's most vulnerable with an Omsung Phine shirley?

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Maybe time for everyone to pull a plug on their landline. Just about every call you get on it will be from from some form of scumbag scanner.

Time to issue society's most vulnerable with an Omsung Phine shirley?

Since I got rid of the landline, I have had zero scam phone calls.
I miss my 'friends' from overseas

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill
Just a heads up guys

Scammers are calling claiming to be from BT Operreach. They claim to be trying to improve your internet speed. If you fall for this, they want you to allow them to take control of your PC/Laptop.

While they are busy checking your PC, they are also busy stealing your bank account details.

Beware, I have had 3 calls in 2 days.

Another indication that it’s fake is that there is now no such company as BT Openreach, they have had to remove all reference to BT and are now just Openreach.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Had them on from Microsoft, kept one guy on the phone for an hour. In the end the conclusion was my PC was running Linux Ubuntu..

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Don't get this one - if you are selling something why would you ever be likely to pay money to the buyer?

It's a money laundering/overpayment scam:

Scammer has a hacked bank/paypal account.
Scammer gets in touch with you and offers to buy your high value item (laptop/phone/watch etc) but wants it shipped by courier.
He says his brother/colleague etc will send you the money and include extra to cover the courier.
You get sent far more than the item's value and are asked to refund the balance after shipping via Western Union or similar.

later....

Victim informs his bank, they trace the payment and take it back from you.
Officer Dibble knocks your door, takes a statement and tells you that the money and the item are long gone and it's you that's out of pocket.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Another scam they can operate is to spoof a PayPal email to you confirming that the money has been transferred to your account, but it is an "accidentally" inflated amount, so they ask you to transfer back the supposed overpayment.

It's a money laundering/overpayment scam:

Scammer has a hacked bank/paypal account.
Scammer gets in touch with you and offers to buy your high value item (laptop/phone/watch etc) but wants it shipped by courier.
He says his brother/colleague etc will send you the money and include extra to cover the courier.
You get sent far more than the item's value and are asked to refund the balance after shipping via Western Union or similar.

later....

Victim informs his bank, they trace the payment and take it back from you.
Officer Dibble knocks your door, takes a statement and tells you that the money and the item are long gone and it's you that's out of pocket.

Blimey that's a clever one.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As a general rule, no company or bank will ever ring you about anything, ever.

Not so. I get calls from my car dealer/garage, AA, and even my travel agent asking me to complete a quick questionnaire about how satisfied I was with the recent service. I tend to play ball since I have been told (by the VW people) that they need the feedback for their job, and need X number of 'completely satisfied' responses or they lose out.

If a cold caller asks me if I am the home owner or whatever I ask for their name and number. They normally then hang up.

I must say I am irritated by Sky and the AA who ask for security question details every time we speak.

If you are ever asked for the last two digits of anything, and they then ask for the first two, hang up. That scam was actually acted out in a TV ad.

edit apologies [MENTION=8459]TWOCHOICEStom[/MENTION] - I see you have reconsidered your post :thumbsup:

ps - how did the lactose in the diet issue go (I think it was you who pmd me)?

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A fool and his/her money are soon parted

A bit harsh. Not all mad decisions are taken by cretins or the pissed-up.

The frail and desperate can sometimes take a leap in the dark, convincing themselves their expectations are the same as their hopes, and take a reckless and uncertain option, convincing themselves that it is bound to be better than the situation they find themselves in presently.

Voting 'leave', for example.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here